Just another introduction thread - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
R13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just another introduction thread

What's up everyone, Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm lurking about, Decided earlier this year to buy an RC but I'm in the process of selling my left over toys that I don't mess with anymore before I buy it in the hopes I can get a really clean one.

Bit of background, Started riding dirt bikes when I was 6, Rode/raced for many years until I outgrew my bikes and moved onto to other hobbies for a short period, Had a couple other bikes since then, Latest one being an XR650R I ended up selling last year, I'm a very competitive rider if you can imagine so I like to push my limits as much as I can (Only on the track of course) and having grown up around dirt bikes I like torque, Which from my research over the last few months the RC seem to fit into quite well.

Main plans for when I get it are just take care of it, Maintenance, Flush mount signals, High mount or undertail exhaust, I'm thinking I'll end up with an sp1 as well being that's what's more locally available so an sp2 swingarm is also in the plans if that happens, Also planning on painting/going to solid black, Double bubble windscreen and some other small stuff here and there to fit it more to my taste.

I have full intentions to daily it, I'm not much of one to complain about discomfort, I'll just be glad to be on a bike.

Once everything is settled I will be taking a 6500 mile ride across the states, Just sort of something I've always wanted to do, Hopefully I'll make some new friends and we can meet up and ride together in my travels.

Cheers!

Last edited by R13; 08-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Welcome....consider suspension first, I wished I had.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
R13

How is the stock sp1 suspension? I have yet to thoroughly look into what makes it bad, I've seen a lot of people mention it though lol.

I probably won't be tracking it for a couple of years, If that matters, Nearest track is a 12 hour round trip, I'll probably track when I move as I'm aiming for the west coast, Have a bunch of track junky friends in SoCal.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM

If you want an sp2 just keep a look out and be patient. I looked for a LONG time before I finally picked up the right bike, It's worth it..... Good luck and welcome.

2004 Honda RC-51 nicky
1966 Honda CB160
2006 Honda Ruckus
2014 Honda Grom
2004 Kawasaki KLX110
2006 Honda CRF100
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
R13

Thanks for the welcome

I'm not super stuck on getting an sp2, I know if she survives long enough she'll be with me a long time so it will be far from stock by the time it's over, This is a bike I intend to keep as long as time allows, I'll sell my car before it once I get it haha.

I still remember the first time I saw an RC in person, I was about 10 or 11, The sound
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, you've made an excellent choice, the RC is not for the masses, but once you're smitten....there's no going back, good luck finding a nice clean one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
R13

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry g View Post
Good luck finding a nice clean one.
They are hard to find these days

I wouldn't have any problem stripping it down and cleaning it up if it wasn't perfect, Just as long as it's good mechanically and electrically for the most part, Body work I'm not too concerned with as I mentioned before I plan to paint it so I can get plastics if they're cracked or broken.

...Just noticed how much of an old man I made myself sound like in the OP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Good choice, hope you find one soon. If you go with an SP1, just look out for leaking tanks. They are notorious for generating a slight weep at the rear seam.

Trust me, your not old on this forum. There are a few guys in their 70's here, still blasting away on there RC's.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
R13

Kickass! lol.

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure how long it will be until I have one, I don't quite have the money to get one yet plus I need all new gear so there's that...

At the very latest hopefully by next January depending on how long it takes to sell my camaro but you guys will be the first to know when I pick one up.

Last edited by R13; 08-25-2014 at 03:30 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode