New rider new owner!! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New rider new owner!!

Just traded an old dodge power wagon to my first bike, a 2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden edition. I've been reading these forums and have seen a lot of feedback that these bikes aren't for beginners, but I plan on taking my sweet time and learning the ins and outs of this machine and riding in general before I take her out on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1831  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Huge step for first bike. Take the course. Drive ride the speed limit and stay geared up. When I got my first bike I rode back streets until I got to know it. If you plan on being a speed demon you will bite it. We all will anyway. It's not dropping the bike, it's at what speed. Slow speed can hurt too. Take your time learning and if you drink.....don't. Good luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
First bike? Ever riden any other motorcycles?
If not, ummmm....
Sorry to be pesimistic, but keep this bike in the garage and get a $500 cheapie bike to learn on. I'm a dick now, but you'll see what I mean later.
Good luck, and stick around. There's tons of good info here.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
First bike? Ever riden any other motorcycles?
If not, ummmm....
Sorry to be pesimistic, but keep this bike in the garage and get a $500 cheapie bike to learn on. I'm a dick now, but you'll see what I mean later.
Good luck, and stick around. There's tons of good info here.
I will second this please get a cheap bike and learn to ride first if this is your first bike. These are rare and fun bikes and you will truly enjoy it once you are comfortable on bikes.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice and concern guys. I plan on looking into taking one of those courses, and I dont have any plans to get the bike out on the road to actually go somewhere until next summer, I'm going to give myself a good amount of time learning it before I even think about it
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome, with a caveat: There's really no substitute for experience.

Get yourself a cheap bike, learn to ride, brake, rev match on downchanges, u-turn with your feet on the pegs, lots of emergency stops, negotiating scary corners, etc.
Fall off, drop it at standstill, etc.

An on/off road bike is huge fun and a much safer way to learn what happens when you lock the front (& what to do about it when you do!), wheelspin, etc, etc.

If you try to learn on the RC, you'll 100% drop it on it's side - period. That's the minimum risk. Dropping it slow or fast, it'll cost you a lot to put right properly, or you'll do like so many out there and resign yourself to ill fitting Ebay plastics and maybe come to dislike the bike for the problems that will bring. And it won't only happen once!

Learning on an RC you'll also possibly never learn to ride with any real confidence as the bike will remain intimidating since you'll never have had the experience of learning to ride a smaller and more manageable bike flat out.

Nobody's putting you down for not having experience. We're talking from our own experiences of learning to ride bikes and in some cases seeing what's happened to others that took a shortcut and failed.

I know one guy with a plastic hip in his 20's who thought he could go straight to a big bike but lost confidence on an unexpected tight corner and hit a wall because he panicked.. By the time he's 50 he'll have serious difficulties walking.

Do yourself the favour & start on a smaller bike. In hindsight you'll know it was the right thing.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM

I started with a vfr800,dropped it the 2nd week I had it. Keep it slow,AGATT,don't get out of 2nd or 3rd gear for a while. If your not a gear nazi like I am at the very least KEEP YOUR LID ON. Good luck out there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm a dick now, but you'll see what I mean later.
Someone left the gate open.

Anyway, welcome and if you do as you say, you will be okay. Even better idea is to get some dirt bike time...dirt is a little more friendlier than asphalt.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

Hey welcome. I been reading what everyone is saying and I agree with them. This bike you have is no wimp by any means. I have an idea for you. How about you sell me you NH rc51 and I will take good care of it for you ? Or trade me lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I have to agree with what the others are telling you. This is NOT a beginner's bike. I have 40 years and several hundred thousand miles under my belt for riding experience and I can honestly tell you that there is no forgiveness out there on the mean streets. Just dealing with the cage idiots is tough enough without the added difficulty of a high performance race replica bike. You'll be in way over your head and never know it until it's far too late and nothing will save you if that happens. Not something we want to have happen to you ever. Take the course, cut your teeth on something far more docile, and then take an advanced rider's course and maybe even some track lessons. Ditto on the dirt bike skills, there's far more relationship to riding on the street that you won't realize until you've raised your skills in the dirt substantially. John says he's being a dick, but he's looking out for your safety as we all are. Welcome to a great site and congrats on a great bike, just heed our advice, "asphalt is the best tattoo remover"!

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode