New guy in CNY - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New guy in CNY

A couple weeks ago I finally picked up a 2003 RC51 after having an eye on them for years. I couldn't decide how I felt about a V-twin sport bike, so I assume that owning one will be a good way to form an opinion. It's hardly a virgin bike, but it runs great. It's got low mount Sato Racing CF exhausts, upgraded rear sets, SS brake lines, speedo recal, regeared, flush mount signals in front and an LED tail light with integrated turn signals. It came with a Power Commander IIIr but the previous owner said it was losing power around 5k RPM, so I am going to try a new map when I get the chance. Unfortunately, riding time remaining this year is pretty limited for me (early and long central NY Winter), but I'll enjoy it until weather gets cold, then go through and figure out what else has been altered. It's my 3rd bike and has a ton more torque than I'm used to (previously has YZF600R and CBR 600) so I'm quite pleased with that. Also, I hate to admit what a selling point the sound of the bike is, but I've never liked the sound of a bike so much... It's got 19k miles on it and has been down but I was told by the previous owner that a woman backed into the bike in a parking lot and knocked it over and that the guy who owned it before him put it down at low speed (has some rash). Mechanically it appears to be sound and I have a lot of faith in Honda for producing a solid bike.

If anyone has suggestions of maps to try, I'd appreciate it. My intent now is to use the maps from rogue. There is a sato low mount map from Kyle that I was hoping would be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51-rear.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1871   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC side view.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1872   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC&CBR.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1873  

If you're going to tell me how many RPM's something is turning, please tell me how many minutes so I can convert that to something useful .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Welcome to the group!!
It might be an '03, but it has an '02 front cowl installed.
The way to be sure is check the VIN number on the right frame spar.

At least the previous owner had taste. He installed a set of Sato low mounts on the bike. Those are about the primo slip-ons made with a great sound!
They also don't make them anymore. So take good care of them.

While it may have a PCIIIr, it might need a decent dyno map created for the bike.
It is looses power and possibly misfires at a certain rev range, that's a sign it's running too lean.
The best method is to put the bike on a dyno and get it mapped rather than downloading some map that might not match your bike perfectly.
It might be in the ballpark, but ideal.

Last edited by SubSailor; 09-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting to hear about the cowl- I didn't realize it had been replaced. As long as he was replacing it, it would have been nice if he installed one in better condition! I guess the bike could have been down since then too. Checked the VIN and it's an 03.

I couldn't be happier with the exhaust, though I'm wondering if I should re-pack it and what's involved in doing that. I've heard it's easy but I've never done it on my bikes.

As far as the PC3 goes, I'll try the map or maybe another if someone suggests something else, but the bike runs great as it is and I don't feel like I need any more power- at least at the moment. I'm always inclined to tinker though, so maybe I'll get restless and see if I can find anyone with a dyno around here to run it. It's not even installed on the bike currently.

I've also thought about putting some sort of cover (carbon fiber) on the dash. Mine looks like it has melted a little and I've read that it's a common problem, especially with certain aftermarket windshields.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

If you're going to tell me how many RPM's something is turning, please tell me how many minutes so I can convert that to something useful .

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Very nice carbon-fiber instrument cover.
http://www.moto-works.jp/bikes/vtr1000_sp1_sp2.html
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-lenn View Post
That's interesting to hear about the cowl- I didn't realize it had been replaced. As long as he was replacing it, it would have been nice if he installed one in better condition! I guess the bike could have been down since then too. Checked the VIN and it's an 03.

I couldn't be happier with the exhaust, though I'm wondering if I should re-pack it and what's involved in doing that. I've heard it's easy but I've never done it on my bikes.

As far as the PC3 goes, I'll try the map or maybe another if someone suggests something else, but the bike runs great as it is and I don't feel like I need any more power- at least at the moment. I'm always inclined to tinker though, so maybe I'll get restless and see if I can find anyone with a dyno around here to run it. It's not even installed on the bike currently.

I've also thought about putting some sort of cover (carbon fiber) on the dash. Mine looks like it has melted a little and I've read that it's a common problem, especially with certain aftermarket windshields.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Do you mean the PC is not installed on the bike currently? (That's ok I think, may run a little lean, like you're describing, and like SubSailor explained.)
And loosing power at 5K rpm? That sounds like the flapper kicking closed. Possibly. What I don't understand is, when did the PC get unhooked?

If you've been on rogue's site, than maybe you already know about the Flapper Mod? in their Mods section?
Look into the air intake with a flashlight and see if you see a black flapper in the open position, that would cover the left half (the chain side of the bike) of the air intake. If you see it in there, than look right below the speedometer on top of the frame: there's big cap with a vacuum hose attached. If you see that, the flapper mod has not been done, and that could explain your symptoms. Sato exhaust, no PC, and no flapper mod.

You need to find out what map is on that PCIIIr.
Which opens another can of worms.
The PCIIIr can only interface with your laptop via a 9pin serial cable. Most of us don't have serial ports on our laptops anymore, so...
You'll need to get (any cheap one will do) a usb/9pin serial cable. You probably will need to install a driver for it on your computer too. Pretty straight forward.
Actually there's a lot more, I just went thru all this with mine. If you need more help, I'll be glad to share what I know. Cause it isn't exactly easy, but well worth the effort once it's all sorted out!

SubSailor, don't you think that the kyle map would be good for him until he get's the money and a GOOD dyno shop? How do you get that map anyway?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Without a power commander connected, I'm thinking the engine is running lean starting at the 5000 RPM reported.
One of the symptoms of a lean condition is loss of power as if the timing is retarded.
If it gets even leaner, it will start to misfire.
He needs to find a bike shop with a dyno and have it mapped.
Should only take no more than an hour.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM

Welcome G-lenn. I live in CNY as well. I saw an RC 51 on Lakeshore last weekend when we were launching my friends boat. I wonder if that was you. It's the first one I've seen around here other than mine and the one my friend used to have. Nice ride

I ride an RC 51. I don't troll. No enjoy your day and go on about your business.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Without a power commander connected, I'm thinking the engine is running lean starting at the 5000 RPM reported.
One of the symptoms of a lean condition is loss of power as if the timing is retarded.
If it gets even leaner, it will start to misfire.
He needs to find a bike shop with a dyno and have it mapped.
Should only take no more than an hour.
Yeah, that does fit.
So on that view, are sato's that much different from yoshi's?

You might remember recently when you and madbuyer helped me thru the code 19? I unhooked the PCIIIr, and the bike ran almost as good as it did before the PC failure. That was the weekend I rode Hwy 36 in and back.
I didn't get any lean conditions with the stock ecm and yoshi's. I only noticed a tiny slight difference even when I was bumping into the soft rev limiter. Which wasn't all that much, just saying...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Welcome and nice bike
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Yeah, that does fit.
So on that view, are sato's that much different from yoshi's?

You might remember recently when you and madbuyer helped me thru the code 19? I unhooked the PCIIIr, and the bike ran almost as good as it did before the PC failure. That was the weekend I rode Hwy 36 in and back.
I didn't get any lean conditions with the stock ecm and yoshi's. I only noticed a tiny slight difference even when I was bumping into the soft rev limiter. Which wasn't all that much, just saying...
It's difficult to believe that a slip-on like the Sato (that gives such a nice mid-range torque boost) does not affect air/fuel ratio enough to warrant a power commander.

It would be nice to see a dyno chart with the Satos and without a power commander to check what the air/fuel ratio is across the board.

My guess is that when those pipes start their magic, the A/F ratio will lean out possibly quite a bit at around 4500 - 5000 RPM, which is around where most pipes start affecting mid-range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode