Newbi needs a ride. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbi needs a ride.

So I joined the forum to find out as much as possible about the RC and to find a prospective seller. I haven't owned a bike for over 7 years but have a huge desire to get another one. I started on an F3 then 900RR and a few 929's. I want a sportbike but want character and rarity not just new speed. I'm 31 and currently stationed in Hawaii but headed to Cali in Jan. I plan on commuting on the RC despite the recommendations against it. I'm not looking to race but want performance while I enjoy the ride. Hopefully the RC can be the all in one ride. Later!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome. The RC will no doubt give you the character and performance you're looking for. You should definatly ride one before buying. But I'm pretty sure you'll love it. Feels quite different than the 929.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM

I've owned a 929, 954, z1000. The RC is (for me) the most uncomfortable of the bunch. That said, the type of power, sound, and styling make it a blast to ride. It gets second looks from the I-4 guys, the Duc crowd digs it, and you can tell your cruiser friends that you ride a "V".

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
I've owned a 929, 954, z1000. The RC is (for me) the most uncomfortable of the bunch. That said, the type of power, sound, and styling make it a blast to ride. It gets second looks from the I-4 guys, the Duc crowd digs it, and you can tell your cruiser friends that you ride a "V".
Ahhh, define V

If you find a RC51 that already has adjustable rearsets, that will help. But I came off a VFR. That's practically a lazy boy with a v4. I'm completely used to the position now, didn't take long. But then again, the RC51 is such an amazing bike, I just got a good attitude about getting used to the pretzel-man position.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Ahhh, define V

If you find a RC51 that already has adjustable rearsets, that will help. But I came off a VFR. That's practically a lazy boy with a v4. I'm completely used to the position now, didn't take long. But then again, the RC51 is such an amazing bike, I just got a good attitude about getting used to the pretzel-man position.
Adjustable rearsets. Thanks for the advice. The RC51 sounds like what I am looking for. I would love to ride one prior to purchase but am not sure I wanna wait. DRFLGD has an 04 for sale in Illinois that I wanna buy today and have it shipped. I cant believe I paid almost $5k for my F3 in 2000 and now I am able to get a superbike for the same price. I love everything about it but like I said I have yet to ride one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 AM

One of the members is selling a sp1 with a vin code 000002 so it makes for a very rare choice in rc's. If I had the extra cash laying around I would pick his bike up in a heart beat you should check it out I will post the link http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...23ht_620wt_948

Check it out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey-0317 View Post
Adjustable rearsets. Thanks for the advice. The RC51 sounds like what I am looking for. I would love to ride one prior to purchase but am not sure I wanna wait. DRFLGD has an 04 for sale in Illinois that I wanna buy today and have it shipped. I cant believe I paid almost $5k for my F3 in 2000 and now I am able to get a superbike for the same price. I love everything about it but like I said I have yet to ride one.
4900 obo means 4500. Probably. Whisky, I think it might be a while before that good of a deal comes along again. If his milage is really that low, that's a smokin price. He's got a lot of good upgrades already on it that you usually end up wanting anyway, so that's favorable too. I imagine about another 500 for shipping. Then the DMV stuff for an out of state bike? Even if you decide to re-sell it, I don't see you loosing any more than your shipping costs. That's if you had to firesale it. Economy sucks, but I'm guessing you could break even.
But I seriously doubt it will come to that. I sure wish I could go see DR's 04 in person. Probably in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomoco View Post
One of the members is selling a sp1 with a vin code 000002 so it makes for a very rare choice in rc's. If I had the extra cash laying around I would pick his bike up in a heart beat you should check it out I will post the link http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...23ht_620wt_948

Check it out
Although that's no doubt a beautiful bike, and earlyrc51 painstakingly restored it, it's a collector bike. It's so beautifully original -- completely stock. So it would be a real shame to go customizing on that bike. And I couldn't live without the freedom to try all kinds of different mods.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 09-13-2011 at 04:47 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Aaargh...

I know I know. I wanna pull the trigger but I am helpless right now. God forsaken island. I cant go look at it or even have a friend go check it out. Even if I did go ride it I wouldn't know what to look for aside from what the threads have mentioned. Searching and anticipating has its own benefits I suppose. Thats my way of convincing myself I'm doing the right thing but it isn't working. Thanks for your advice on the legit deal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Welcome Whiskey, hope you have good luck in your search. If HI is godforsaken, may I please be hellish enough to be bannished to there every November thru March? Em, me RC included naturally!

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Welcome Whiskey, hope you have good luck in your search. If HI is godforsaken, may I please be hellish enough to be bannished to there every November thru March? Em, me RC included naturally!
Maybe I was a little too harsh on the island. I cant say that I have island fever its just that getting things over here is such a pain. I have been restoring a CJ7 and the process has been pretty painful thanks to shipping costs. The roads on Oahu are pretty bad as well so I am not sure I would be overly excited about riding them even if I did have an RC. Thanks for the welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode