Hello - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello

Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2006 RC51 with 4,000 miles on her. She is being shipped to me. Had to buy one across the country to find one with low miles and unmolested. Should be here the first part of February. I have wanted one of these bikes for years. I plan to keep it for a very long time. I love v-twin, v 4 motors, and parallel twin motors. My first bike was a 1986 Honda nc24 (vfr400r). A lot of my colleagues don't understand my obsession with the rc51. They say why not get a inline 4 1000 they are faster, lighter, and more nimble. But they just don't get it. I am at the point in life where the fastest isn't the only concern anymore.

Previous bikes I have had are many inline-4 600's, gsxr 750, and several dual sports. The only v-twin I have owned was a 2006 Sv1000s. My last sports bike was the Yamaha FZ-09. Right now I have a Kawasaki Versys for touring duty, a klx250s for the trails, and a honda grom. The rc51 has always been iconic to me. And I know they are becoming more rare and collectable as time goes by. I cannot wait to get mine. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc51.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	80177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Welcome to the sickness. These bikes are very good at taking all of your time and money.

I hope you and the seller covered why it has 03 fairings
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome James. And thank you for point out the fairings. The bike is at a dealer. I don't think they know enough about the rc51 to tell what year the fairings are off of. How you can tell they are from an 2003 rc?

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

ok....here we go

2000-02 silver tail with black number plates. The black wings on the side fairings only look like stripes. Big black number plate on the the front.

2003 Black tail with silver number plate. The black wings are full(er) on the side fairings and just a black inverted triangle around the snorkel opening going up to the windscreen on the front. Gold outline around the decal on the tank.

2004 Silver tail with white number plates, side fairings like the 2000-02, white number plate on the front. Clear coated aluminum frame and swingarm, the only year for North American RC's that came with the frame/swingarm this way. The "sponsor" stickers are optional, some deals/owners put them on others just left them in the bag. Oh lets not forget about the Nicky Hayden signature on the tank.

2005-06 All black tail with charcoal number plates, 03 style wings in charcoal, with the large black number plate on a charcoal upper.

And yes, the 2003 are the fastest
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Hmm.. That is interesting. The bike is an 2006 for sure. I will have to find out whats up with the 03 fairings. Thanks for pointing that out. Just to clarify, the black color scheme was the only color available for 2005-2006?
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

There is a lot of us here that can pick out the little things that are not "right" about a RC. If you could provide more pictures or a link to the sale ad, I'm sure someone will say something if they see it.

From what I can tell, it looks that it still has the 05-06 front fender, aftermarket front turn signals, a silver under tail that was made for a 2000-2002, sliders, swingarm spools and the Yosh exhaust, it also looks like aftermarket levers and maybe a steering damper. I can't really tell for sure, but it looks like someone may have cut out the cross bar on the upper fairing support. This is what it should look like
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Hmm.. That is interesting. The bike is an 2006 for sure. I will have to find out whats up with the 03 fairings. Thanks for pointing that out. Just to clarify, the black color scheme was the only color available for 2005-2006?
Yep and only for the North American markets, the bikes made for the UK are all completely different.

I really like the 2005 UK paint scheme
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I have 5 or 6 pictures the dealer sent showcasing the minor blemishes the bike has. I will send them in about an hour, when I get back to wifi. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06681.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	80185  
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hell man, I really didn't mean to turn this into a downer. But lets be honest all used bikes have something different.
All and all it looks like its in good shape, I'm not seeing anything in the common rash spots and the fairing look to be in good shape as well, which is the really expensive part to get right. But the upper stay is modded or aftermarket and the levers are aftermarket but its missing the lower "V" cowl. It goes behind the front wheel in between the side fairings.

None of this means it's a bad bike or a bad buy. It's just stuff that is not OEM. Hell go through my build thread, I change just about everything that I can and I'm working on changing more

Where you located? Eastern NC here
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

No I appreciate you pointing this out. I personally don't mind the fairing's change. I am more concerned with why someone would spend the money to change the fairings and tank. I am sure that would cost well over a $1000 dollars. The only idea I can thing of is that the previous owner wrecked it and found the 03 fairings cheepers. But, there are no other signs of it being laid down. No horizontal scratches on the frame, swing arm, wheels, etc. So I am just puzzled. Also I have not committed to buying it. I have only put a retainer on the bike. So if you guys think I should back out, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode