Getting back into an RC - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting back into an RC

Hi everyone. Haven't ridden in quite a few years but my last bike was an RC51... and I miss it every day. I have an opportunity to buy a friends '02 as a project and it's really tempting. He lowsided it about 8 years ago and he's been storing it in his garage ever since but doesn't have the time to get it running again.

The good:
-One owner
-2,000 miles
-Moriwakis
-Lots of spares

The bad:
-Hasn't been started in 8 years....
-Forks need a rebuild
-Master cylinder leaked out all of the brake fluid
-Who knows what else it could be hiding

I have a few options with it ranging from restoring it to a clean street bike, run it with the scuffed fairings as a street/track bike, or build it up to go racing in a year or so.

Hopefully I got the attachment to work, it's me on my SP1 in 2008
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1621780_10152196702578563_1251718832_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	80193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
All depends on the price of the bike, I'm building a crashed one up at present but got it for the right price and bought it to keep for many years.
2000 miles on the clock would sway me though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I've brought bikes back from being unused for 15+ years, it's not that difficult - but they are all bikes with carbs which are a little easier to clean than an FI system.The fuel system may need replacement. Gunk in tank, hoses, fuel pump, filter, injectors, etc. won't be easy to remove. Ultrasonic cleaning can help a lot here.

Also look for corrosion in the tank... plan on expenditures like these (Fuel system parts are available used, normally) and you should be OK. Forks - seals will cure that, I doubt there's need to entirely rebuild the forks. No idea why the m/c has leaked. Maybe seals have perished? If you get it cheap it's worth the trouble.

Let us know how you get on.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 01-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'd just buy a clean one and go ride. They are not that expensive. Then pick up your buddies bike for spares.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
A clean set of Mori exhaust is worth $1000-$1500 us, just something to think about.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Welcome. Do your thorough before hand work; you could have a diamond in the rough or a chunk of fool's gold.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... I had put this on the backburner for a while due to some shoulder issues but those have been mitigated.

Fast forward to now, I'm picking her up this weekend! My friend (who I'm buying the bike from) is going to help me get it running and I have a few events targeted on the calendar. It could be a challenge to trouble-shoot but I do appreciate the suggestions about what to address in the fuel system. Luckily it comes with a spare tank that is super clean.

I'll start a rebuild thread once I start tearing into it. Super excited and looking forward to the challenge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode