Howdy y'all! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Howdy y'all!

I've had a 600RR for 3 years now but I'm looking to switch it up, and since I remember the 2 bikes that got me into riding I thought about them first: the Ducati 900SS and RC51 so here I am! Hoping to learn enough about these to make my decision and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum Kat,

Have a browse through, you will find a lifetimes worth of knowledge on here.

Not a great deal bad to say about the RC51; it's a Honda after all. It's a whole different beasty to the RR, not really worth trying to compare them. Best advice ride a few and find a good example.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
1994 CBR600 FR (very modified)

Last edited by BritRC; 03-21-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Spelling! damn predictive text.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRC View Post
Welcome to the forum Kat,

Have a browse through, you will find a lifetimes worth of knowledge on here.

Not a great deal bad to say about the RC51; it's a Honda after all. It's a whole different beasty to the RR, not really worth trying to compare them. Best advice ride a few and find a good example.
These forums really kick 4ss for sources of info: 600rr.net has enough write ups on the 07-12 to never need the dealer aside from inspection renewals, at least that's the point I'm at and I had no previous mechanical experience.

I'm curious how they differ from my 600 aside from the torque which is what is drawing me towards a twin. I don't have access to one of these and the idea is to rejuvenate one with apparent cosmetic damage.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkat28 View Post
These forums really kick 4ss for sources of info: 600rr.net has enough write ups on the 07-12 to never need the dealer aside from inspection renewals, at least that's the point I'm at and I had no previous mechanical experience.

I'm curious how they differ from my 600 aside from the torque which is what is drawing me towards a twin. I don't have access to one of these and the idea is to rejuvenate one with apparent cosmetic damage.
Welcome aboard man.

Bottom line, your 600 is faster. But with you being here, I'm guessing you're not worried about that.

The RC is overweight, under powered, parts are expensive, aftermarket parts are starting to dry up, and even with all that, Man I love my piggy You can read all the reviews you want about the RC and study them like a first year med student, but you just have to ride one to know. The owners who get "it," never sell their RC or regret selling and want to buy another one.

If your looking to save money, don't try to resurrect one, parts are expensive. Buying a clean one to start will probably save you money in the long run.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
Welcome aboard man.

Bottom line, your 600 is faster. But with you being here, I'm guessing you're not worried about that.

The RC is overweight, under powered, parts are expensive, aftermarket parts are starting to dry up, and even with all that, Man I love my piggy You can read all the reviews you want about the RC and study them like a first year med student, but you just have to ride one to know. The owners who get "it," never sell their RC or regret selling and want to buy another one.

If your looking to save money, don't try to resurrect one, parts are expensive. Buying a clean one to start will probably save you money in the long run.
Yea I'm not interested in these because of dyno numbers lol...but rejuvenating vehicles is kinda my thing (got a '1971 super beetle project also atm) and this is a Nicky Hayden Edition, which I can get cheap enough to make the cosmetic repairs (if they're repairable) and a couple other things here and there...when you say overweight what're we talking in lbs, fully fuelled? It's not so much about saving money as it is about saving the bike.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkat28 View Post
Yea I'm not interested in these because of dyno numbers lol...but rejuvenating vehicles is kinda my thing (got a '1971 super beetle project also atm) and this is a Nicky Hayden Edition, which I can get cheap enough to make the cosmetic repairs (if they're repairable) and a couple other things here and there...when you say overweight what're we talking in lbs, fully fuelled? It's not so much about saving money as it is about saving the bike.
Sounds like you'll fit in.

Weight is one number I never cared to remember. But if I remember right, somewhere in the neighborhood of 480 lbs. Use the search function, I'm sure someone has posted a solid weight number before.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
Sounds like you'll fit in.

Weight is one number I never cared to remember. But if I remember right, somewhere in the neighborhood of 480 lbs. Use the search function, I'm sure someone has posted a solid weight number before.
It's funny, I've downloaded owner's manuals service manuals, checked numerous sites that list sp2 specs and the only number I've found is 430 dry, and gas is about 6 lbs/gallon so 460 before oil and the coolant I'm guessing is a lot between the dual radiators and plumbing.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
The weight difference between your gen 600RR and a 51 will be quite noticeable; been there, done that.

If you are looking to restore an '04 Hayden edition with cosmetic damage, it's gonna be somewhat challenging to find minty OEM (04 Hayden) replacement fairings that won't cost a pretty penny. You could try to refurbish rashed OEM fairings, try some cheap China fairings or opt for track fairings if plastics are needed.

G'luck...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
The weight difference between your gen 600RR and a 51 will be quite noticeable; been there, done that.

If you are looking to restore an '04 Hayden edition with cosmetic damage, it's gonna be somewhat challenging to find minty OEM (04 Hayden) replacement fairings that won't cost a pretty penny. You could try to refurbish rashed OEM fairings, try some cheap China fairings or opt for track fairings if plastics are needed.

G'luck...
The fuel tank is fvcked, now I know that's where Hayden's signature is supposed to be but idk if that's a sticker or a real signature, otherwise it just needs a PCV & autotune, steering stabilizer, speedohealer, complete exhaust, forks need new seals (at least) and geometry will need adjusting to compensate for 190/55 tires...the optimal exhaust is has me stuck; on a CBR it's more like choosing the sound but I already know these have 4 different mounting options (including gp style), must be titanium, not 2 - 1, and satos typically give the best result...I like the gp style but I'm not trying to be "that guy"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Working on that VW has taught me a thing or two about heads & valvetrains, so I'll check for signs of valve lift and spring condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode