New member currently in acquisition mode - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
New member SP2 build

Hey guys, great forum here. I've been lurking and reading it for quite awhile now.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a RC51 soon and have a question on their market value. I've got first dibs on a private sale and they're asking $4k for a 2002 with 13k miles, Hotbodies undertail, and Jardine high mount slip-ons (aluminum cans).

It's been well maintained, service up to date by a dealer, and in pretty clean overall condition. Is this a fair price? Also, how is that Jardine exhaust? Barely any talk about them, seems like the Sato's get a whole lot more attention. Seems like most have been discontinued for awhile now. That full ti ladybird system looks so amazing haha. Maybe one day

Last edited by drifter83; 03-30-2016 at 05:25 AM. Reason: RC51 acquired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
If it as clean as you say, $k is not too bad at all.

'02 is not the fastest year but it will do the trick.

Good luck to ya.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Great price if it is clean. It's all about condition; look it over closely. Exhaust is a minor consideration imo and easily changed to higher end if so desired. And at least it's faster than the 03's .

Last edited by kwtoxman; 05-06-2015 at 10:58 PM.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
That's a great price for my region, especially with that low mileage.
I would still remove the side plastics and take a good look at everything. I'd lift the tank too, you wont see much besides the air box and lots of wiring, but it still gives you an overall look-see. Wacth out for anything in the wiring harness that doesn't look OEM, like wire crimp-connectors, and be careful when lowering the tank, there's very little room for the wiring, don't pinch any.

Good luck, hope it checks out because that's a good deal on a SP2.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Welcome. Yup sounds like a fair price to me too. I'd still take John's advice about snooping a tad more too though. Especially around that undertail. Lots of guys do a hatchet job on the undertail wiring.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the tips. I’ll make sure to take a close look at everything before purchase. I’m actually going to be buying it from a friend, so he won’t have any problem with me taking the time to remove the tank and fairings to get a good look at everything. He has two RC51’s, a 2004 and the 2002 which he’s selling. He has a motorcycle addiction problem and needs more room in the stable haha.

I know different markets support different prices. This sale will take place in Southern California so I agree that the price seems fair to me too. It has been dropped during a low speed right turn. No cracks or rash, scuff on tail and on right bar end, no damage elsewhere. The right exhaust can has some scratches. I’ve got two pics of the bike post incident, but they are low res style as if they came from the internet circa 1998. I really can’t see anything egregious, but they weren’t taken to highlight the damage. Unfortunately I won’t be able to check it out until June-July sometime, but that will just give me more time to learn and do some research. Perhaps then I’ll post some better pics when I’m the new owner!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Forgot to add the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150507_213920.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	86418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150507_213939.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	86426  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Well I finally picked her up. Next morning, she was naked!

2002 with 13,500 miles, paid $4k.

Previous owner did have a minor crash with the bike going down on the left side.

Tank has some faint scratches that can't be seen from above, only directly at tank level. Rear brake lever somehow got bent, didn't impact frame. Left bar end ripped off. Boot wear on frame. Left spool mount ripped off. Rash on left exhaust mid pipe and can. Various fairing fasteners missing. PAIR system blocked off, flapper mod done, unsure of soft rev limit status. CA emissions crap partially neutralized. Tail wiring doesn't look too bad.

Not too concerned about most of the "damage". Stock bars will be replaced with clip ons. Aftermarket rear sets will take care of the brake lever. Ladybird exhaust system will replace the Jardines. Rash on the tank and tail can probably be touched up to acceptable condition. Kind of disappointed about the spool mount. I have lifters from RepsolCraig though.

Any thoughts on what could simulate the finish on the frame/swingarm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 RC51.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	94761   Click image for larger version

Name:	naked.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	94769   Click image for larger version

Name:	problems.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	94777   Click image for larger version

Name:	undertail.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	94785   Click image for larger version

Name:	rash.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	94793  

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Nice pick up ! Talk with @sbkdrew about the swinger and finishes.
Look forward to seeing the rebirth !

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Looks good for $4K. I don't know why people like using these scotch lock connectors.
Take them off and fit something like these, once you find out how many connectors you need. You'll only need some decent crimping pliers and a wire stripper.

10 Kits 2 Pin Way SEALED Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug Car Auto Set | eBay

Get a replacement aluminium spool mount welded on. You can get a friendly paint shop to repaint your swing arm afterward and probably make a tin of touch-up paint for where you may need to touch in the frame, too. If they're good they'll mix up a good match.
Or you can buy a swing arm from sbkdrew and swap your's in exchange.
If you are good at fitting decals, you can buy a replacement for the tail and touch-in the scratches that are left. Saves buying a new one...

With a suitable lever and cloths for protection of the frame, you might be able to straighten the bent gear lever, but rearsets are better. I'll have a set of black anodised Babyface rearsets for sale in a month or two...

Have fun!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode