New Owner - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Owner

I never had really paid much attention to these bikes until a couple of years ago. Have ridden various Honda, Yamahas and Harleys through the years and just knew these bikes as another crotch rocket so to speak. Then my son purchased a used one a few years back. The first time he came to the house with it, I thought dang that's a good sounding bike. I rode it a few times and loved it. So as I said various Harleys the last few years. Latest being a Heritage Softail. Nice bike, but the guys planned a trip out west. Now I'm wanting to go, but not sure my 59 y/o body can do it on the Softail. the search commences for a touring bike. Bike found and purchased, ready to go west in a couple of weeks. Now what to do with the Softail. My son has always been a good kid and has never asked me for much other than, when are you gonna give me one of those Harleys (there are presently 5 of them). So I thought, what the heck, I'll make this kids day and get something I've been wanting in return. So I say I'll give you the Softail if you'll give me the RVT. Deal done. Now this bike is pretty low mileage, somewhere around 6k I think. Haven't even got it to the house yet. Not even for sure what the model year is, I think 03, but it is fuel injected. It does need some cosmetic work, but seems pretty sound mechanically. So I have another project, like I really needed one. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting to know more about these machines. I will never use this machine to its full potential and I would venture to say that I am one of the older members of this particular forum. One thing is for sure, I will have some fun, even if I am a little slow. Glad to be here and ready to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Welcome and I think you'll grow a deep appreciation for the RC!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the RC51! And the forum too.
There's a couple threads with polls that discuss the ages of members. You might be surprised to find that our age group (I'm 55) has a pretty impressive representation.
Enjoy your new bike, and get some pics up when you can!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Welcome aboard.

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Welcome to the show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
You might be surprised to find that our age group (I'm 55) has a pretty impressive representation.
Holy Hell, your are old.....its almost time for you to get the three wheel conversion done.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Welcome to the show...

Holy Hell, your are old.....its almost time for you to get the three wheel conversion done.
The three wheel version? I doubt it.
By the time I need that we'll have bionic eyes and strap on exo skeleton. I should be fine.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
The three wheel version? I doubt it.
By the time I need that we'll have bionic eyes and strap on exo skeleton. I should be fine.
Whatever you get, make sure its titanium. The sparks are amazing to watch.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Welcome Bill, from another in your same vintage. Not sure about much improvement in long distance comfort over the softail but As long as you take enough breaks you'll be fine. The bike isn't long range on fuel burn so you'll be stretching your legs every 100-120 miles at the pumps anyway so. I have a 2500 miler coming up in August

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome BillD. I'd recommend some adjustable bars if it doesn't already have them. Just a little more upward angle can make the difference between a bike that's tiresome to ride slower and one that's not as much.
It doesn't like chugging at low revs, it smooths out around the mid range. They're lovely bikes to ride. Maybe you'll even convert a few Harley riding friends.

So now your son has the bike he wanted too. Sounds like it was a good trade for both.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode