New guy looking at '02..need help with stock pics - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New guy looking at '02..need help with stock pics

Hello everyone. I currently ride a CB1000R and I am looking at a '02 RC. By chance is there a place here of stock RC and a list of mechanical and cosmetic changes each year. I would like to understand if the bike has been changed in any way.
Can't wait for the sound!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Welcome! If you have a pic I'd go ahead and post it. People here will be able to pick out the mods on the bike right quick!

2014 December BOTM Winner
2015 June BOTM Winner

Still debating on whether to use my power of invisibility for good or evil
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Post up the pictures man. I love picking out the bits that are not right.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Welcome aboard.

Yes, pics or GTFO ! j/k

I thought we (someone from the msg board?) had a list of "what to look for" in a past thread/FAQ or perhaps it was just a list I read while searching past threads here or poking around online over at speedzilla, rc51.org or on wikipedia...

...in any event, if you ask around on the board you will surely get help with having the differences amongst the model years pointed out to you, etc.

Oh, and don't let these guys fool you into thinking that 2003 was the fastest model year - everyone knows that honor belongs to the 2006s.

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Most of the differences are subtle once you get past the differences between the SP1 and SP2. Wing logo, rear cowl etc.

Oh and Cobra's oh so wrong, '03 rules for sure (I couldn't find a '05 or '06 when I had the buy for one)

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome. There are subtle differences in styling between each year and differences again between models of different markets (EU & US).
Obtain good pictures from the seller and after having 10 posts you can put pics up (This is a measure that was taken to stop spammers posting on this forum and it works, but is a necessary evil).

We'll be able to tell you things about the bike you have in mind; the better the detail in pics, the more info we can see & share with you.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Some pics...thanks for the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	92785  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

And another...not sure why I can't post more than 1 at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	58
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	92801  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

1 more.........
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	92809  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
A few thoughts, although I don't know U.S. models as well as E.U. so others will be able to give better advice.

Tail and number board don't have original finish.
Endurance style tank - who made it, what is the material and does it leak (Especially when the tank is full to the brim)? Limits what airboxes you can use if considering such an upgrade in future.
SP-2 decal isn't original. Looks odd. Are body panels original or Chinese?
What is the V-cowl's condition like and is there one? Also black plastic panel under the headlight?
Cracks on the top fairing?
Dan Kyle sticker usually indicates rear shock or linkage upgrade. Shock is original now, is the link an upgrade, or original?
Looks like some rattle can paint on the front fender and the side panels will have large holes cut in them, so they fit over the crash bungs. General chips on swing arm, wheels, etc.
What modifications are on it? Does it have a Power Commander for those Leo Vince Exhausts?
Corrosion on fittings, exhaust, etc? Leaks in forks?
It's been down at some point, hence the not so original bodywork, I suspect. What marks are left from when it was down? Check: Bar ends, mirror scratches, possible wheel damage, lock stops, seat subframe, exhausts, fork ends, if radiators are dented, etc. Also check wiring for seat cowl, it's often a rat's nest when there's a hastily fitted undertail.

Doesn't look like a particularly pampered bike, but could be made good if the essential basics are there. Depends if you have the time, attention and dedication + cash to pay to put it right or want something better to start with which may cost a bit but not a lot more... Think with your head, not your heart when choosing a bike you want to have for a long time.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 09-01-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode