LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Newbie in the UK

Hi All

Picked up my SP1 few months ago, and I love her

Already changed the sprockets to 15/41 as that seemed to be recommended. It sure needs something as boy are they geared high.

Trip meter was not holding its reading after turning ignition off, but i fixed it thanks to this site :-)

Rear suspension needs sorting next i think, its a bit of a pogo stick, but still awesome :-)

Hope to read and learn a heap

Col
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hello and welcome Col
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome Col.

Speak with Maxton and they'll make some great suspension mods for you. Their GP shocks work beautifully. Front forks also work well in combination when re-valved and re-sprung, or you can spend more & have cartridge replacements, but they're not necessarily needed, depends on how you want to use the bike.

Put up some pics when you get to 10 posts. European spec bikes are rarer on this site and SP1 red is a favourite it would seem. Also check out Makis' protect posts, he has a similar bike to yours but done much good work on a tight budget.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi
Funnily enough i did email Maxton a while back but had no reply, as I have a Maxton shock on my track blade and am impressed with it.
Am also looking at respringing/servicing forks, you mention cartridge replacements, when would you recommend having them fitted.
I'm intermediate/fast group on track and would call myself a 'quite aggressive' street rider (i'm very hard on the brakes as well), but never intend to put SP onto the track (yet lol), so not sure if I warrant a set of cartridges.
Have checked Maxis project, he's outta my league :-D
Cheers
Col
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
e-mails are usually taken care of by Richard Adams, who is Ron William's (founder) son in law. Ron is semi-retired these days. Mary, Ron's wife is still there daily. I met Ron some 20+ years ago when he did my VFR750 which transformed it into a Blade / R1 embarassment tool for corners back in the day, especially roundabouts. Made for some very surprised riders who'd show off with wheelies, etc & thought they were the mutt's nuts till they got trashed by an innocent looking Sports Tourer. Good for giggles.

With the racing season now over Maxton will have a LOT of work to deal with, so expect delays in getting a response. It's a small company with a lot of work on their plate much of the time, but don't let that put you off - their quality (& after sales service) is better than Nitron, whose boss learnt everything from Maxton before leaving and setting up on his own and expanding from there. Not a lot of people know that...
If you don't get a reply, e-mail again, or call and leave a message. It's taken 6 months to get work done for me sometimes, but I'm a patient guy (Except when controlling a machine on the road for some reason) and projects take years to complete so delays with communication hasn't phased me at all. I'm not the only person they're looking after by far. Never been dissappointed by their products.

I've had 4 bikes' suspension made by them in recent years, but two are still works in progress that are yet to be ridden (NSR250 with NC35 U/D forks, etc & TDR250 with CRF400 U/D forks - shortened stroke) so I haven't yet tried my 20mm cartridges, but I'm sure they'll be good stuff, Maxton's stuff has always been spot on for me. 30mm cartridges are expensive (2K ish )

The design of forks on the VTR SP are pretty good, that's what Richard told me a few years ago, so I had mine re-valved and re-sprung to go with a remote reservoir GP shock. They were set up well and worked in harmony to absorb bumps quite equally, if you understand the meaning of this (no pitching over bumps).
This worked very well. The GP shock is what made the most difference. With their conversions geometry changes too - forks become slightly shorter and shock higher. This makes for a faster steering bike than standard, of course. Better for aggressive riding. I haven't felt the need for a steering damper. At most it will wag the bars once, mildly if pushing hard coming out of a corner and hitting a bump say, but it's mostly just communication that the front end is light, not really disconcerting. Like you I'm a aggressive rider too. I don't tend to ride slowly and tyres get worn to the edges, but not feathered on the road. Only on the track.

Since changing to Ohlins forks, it feels slightly better - but not a night and day difference.
I'm now using the original SP front end incl. brakes on my VFR750FL, which also works well with a Maxton GP10 shock. They say GP shocks are overkill for road use, but that's OK. Better too much than too little.

I don't usually do track days any more, but used to live 5 mins from Fuji Raceway (F1 grade circuit) till we moved house 4 years ago. I had a Fuji licence then, so could ride most days when there wasn't racing on, but there was no group as such - just other riders on various bikes, from street to full race - it's a big wide circuit with plenty of space for overtaking. Was nice to go there for 1/2 an hour before returning him for breakfast. Sometimes I miss being able to do this, but there are other benefits to where we live now, so no regrets... only sometimes when I begin to miss the beautiful & scenic and usually empty mountain roads around Fuji and the long way home.

The suspension worked well on the circuit. Always confidence inspiring. Maxton suspension usually has that effect and doesn't tend to need much tweaking as they make it for your bike, weight, riding style, etc. If they can make suspension for T/T racers, who are competitive, then the same suspension tends to work well on typical UK bumpy roads too. I'd say the GP shock is at least as good as an Ohlins shock, if not better - has more adjustment, not that it needs tweaking usually though.

I wouldn't go down the Maxton cartridge route on an SP, since Ohlins forks pop up from time to time and are probably a better investment in terms of always being worth what you pay for them - the difficulty is finding some...
You can always sell forks from an SP used, to offset the cost - or find a suitable bike to transfer them onto.

HTHY anyways.
pirks likes this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 11-11-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Welcome to the Forum!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers Stig. Lots for me to be getting on with then :-) . I'm in no rush so I'll launch em another email soon. Just waiting for a few bits n bobs to settle down at home, then I'm gonna blitz the suspension front and back :-)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks burnt clutches, are you called that for a reason lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well i'm up to 10 posts now, so here she is :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12031573_10153234262771588_4264447197237319214_o.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	98825   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1443359965048.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	98833  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Very nice clean bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode