Traded my wrecked 1980 vette Rc51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Traded my wrecked 1980 vette Rc51

Hi my name is Matthew, I am from Oregon , I just traded my 1980 corvette that needed about 2500 in repairs, for this 2003 Rc51 . I would love some advice or chritisism this is my first bike. Yes I know start on a 250 . I'll have it totaled in 6th months, some say But I learn different than most , and believe I am responsible enough to make it happen successfully . So far it is a Monster , and I am doing great, Learning fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1467916299449.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	108762  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome to the looney bin!! I've been riding on two for the better portion of 28 years. I started on a YSR 50, then an 88 CBR600 (hurricane...40 bhp...a lawnmower with fairings). Then I got a 900RR (a hellspawn demon child in regards to power to weight), and now I am a proud owner of a 2000 RC. And after riding it for the past year, i've learned these few facts regarding the RC....

1.) It is NOT the fastest, nor the lightest of machines...but I nor do I believe anyone else on this forum ride it for those reasons.

2.) It has a turning radius similar to the circumference of Saturn.

3.) Although it IS fuel injected, it drinks fuel like a fish does water.

4.) The stock suspension is SUPER stiff, even more so on the SP2, you WILL feel every pebble, divet, pothole, or transition from asphalt to tarmac on the road.

5.) the machine has inherent fueling issues (bogs down in the lower gears tooling around town...power commander and pipes should top you list of mods.

6.) Twins run extremely hot!! I'm in California, and MAN!! sitting behind traffic on a twin with leather on is NO FUN!!

Now for the Pros...

1.) The cool factor...FINALLY, you've broken outta the "me too" crowd!! "I've got a GSX-R, CBR1RR, ZX1, etc..." "....oh, you too?!!"

2.) The suspension is VERY stiff, "feeling" everything for me (brake lock, grip loss, body weight), is a godsend. I've been riding since well before all the electronic aids (and weight) that modern litrebikes come with. When one of these "millenials" gets on a bike that actually requires you to mentally count down your gearing as you downshift or risk locking-up...they find themselves in a world of trouble without all the electronic assists and slipper clutches.

3.) There are TONS of upgrades still available, not to mention the vast amount of info you'll receive by being a member of this forum.

4.)The sound is absolutely intoxicating!! I've been on Japanese 4's for the last 28 years. the brutal snort, intermixed with the gear driven cams is ....magical...no, seriously, I feel like a leprechaun bonkin' a unicorn even when i'm just going to the corner for beer!!

5.) The term "power everywhere in the powerband" is used enough to make you barf your insides out...here (especially after bypassing the flapper valve) it is actually applicable. Torque for EONS!!! yes, it drops of at the top end, but i'm not trying to take home a cup victory on a 16 year old machine.

6.) She is drop-dead sexy, as opposed to some of the newer freakish creations' this bike IS art!! (ex. BMW 1000RR...bastard child of an iguana, Panigale, Ducati is running out of ideas or getting lazy, ZX-10...Honda wants it's patents back, GSX-R....can YOU tell a 6, from a 750, from a 1000??? put away the "cookie cutter" and lets design something people will REMEMBER)

7.) you are not gonna break the bank keeping her maintained, as opposed to a Ducati (which of i've sold a few, and the insurance?!! G*DAMN son prepare to sell part of your soul, and 1st born to keep it maintained....and wait until its time to adjust the valves!!)

There you go...what I know so far about this lovely machine after being on one for a year....welcome to the fold!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the great feedback. I felt the same way about new bikes with the slipper clutch and what not. That is why I went something a little older then came across this in trade and fell in love. Gas hog, top heavy , but I like the uniqueness. The crowd that follows the bike impressed me even more and the history of it. I am looking forward to learning more and becoming one with the bike. What's the best tires i should buy my rear is getting bad how much would that usually cost at a shop to install.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
I like 190/55 rear and 120/70 front. figure $50 if you take your wheels off your bike. $75 if still on the bike~ at least those are the rate in atlanta.

Dunlop Q3, Pirelli Corsa, Michelins etc

pick your poison, its the only thing touching the ground so get the best money can buy.

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the bike! Quick question though, has your bike been wrecked in its past? All of the fairings are 2002 color.

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I actually am not sure if it was wrecked , said it has clean title I noticed the front of the fairings , by the headlights looks like someone added red and silver vinyls its the stock color under i think maybe they are covering cracks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Garage
What i mean is those color schemes and graphics are not from a 2003.
2003 RC51 have black tails not silver, also the graphics on the front is different as well as the side graphics.

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Really ? Fuck. I had no idea maybe the title isn't clean after all.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Wow you are completely correct. Now I am really wondering about the bike. Why the hell didn't they just replace it with the original fairings . Cost maybe . The bike I still love it is my first motorcycle so anything is badass to me.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '03 Rc51 View Post
Wow you are completely correct. Now I am really wondering about the bike. Why the hell didn't they just replace it with the original fairings . Cost maybe . The bike I still love it is my first motorcycle so anything is badass to me.
It probably just went down slowly and it was much cheaper to use those new fairings. Long as everything works right it really does not matter anyway. Post some more pictures of it!

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode