3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New Member about to become an owner

Hi everyone,

Old guy long term many bike owner here.

Primarily a BMW guy but have had just about everything at one time or another.

Every couple of years I ask myself..which bike next? So now I am liking to try an RC51 and am looking at an 01 (as well as about
12 or so others all over the place)

any advice about best/worst years? I prefer the look of the older bike, the red/silver graphics.

Looking forward to getting one

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the search.

I'd suggest an SP2 with its long list of improvements. You can get the original color scheme (02) and still find exhaust options for it. SP1 exhaust options are few and far between. Any unfortunate tipping of the bike can mean new exhaust is needed. One SP1 work-around is to buy an SP2 header and cut and weld up the SP1 flanges. https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/65-...-sp1-help.html

Just some considerations.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome good luck and have fun with the search.

VTR1000SP2 CBR1000RRC RVF400RR CBF500A CBR600F4i CBR400RRL Z125Monkey

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
Pick an SP2 if you can. The refinements and resale value are worth it.
Kind of.
I'd pick my modded SP1 over a stock SP2 all day every day.
btw, the 01 is the only year RC51's don't have thread bosses for swingarm spools.

Have you ridden any other V's over the years? Like a TLR or SV or VFR?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Generally agree with pick an SP2. Easier resale, for sure.

Look for a Nicky Hayden model in 2004 if you're patient, it has the colours you like. I also like the 2005 all black RC51. Beautiful "final" colours.

Happy shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Hayden
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks all.

Of course, most of the 51's I am looking at are 01's. I do like the look and I will be using this mainly as a sport touring bike but still, the resale factor concerns me.helmet

My sole experience with Honda was my 919RR that was fast as snot but, being a two cylinder guy I missed the compression braking, almost fatally

Anyone with some good leads on an 02 pass them along, I will fly and drive at the drop of a hat. (helmet)

Mike
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:03 PM
bpw

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I wouldn't shy away from a SP1, especially if you're more of a casual sport rider vs. a track guy. You can get a smoking deal on one because everyone has a boner for the sp2. Dig around a little and compare some dyno charts stock vs. stock there just isn't a whole lot of difference, and if you prefer a sp2 swingarm thats an easy fix. I have a sp2, honestly I think the sp1 swinger looks better but I'm a old school 900rr guy and they look similar. Also the wheels on the sp2 are lighter but you have to ask

1) how much money do you want to spend and
2) are the upgrades worth the difference to you. Basically the point is unless you're Ricky Racer you probably won't even ride a sp1 to it's limit so don't pass on a good deal if one pops up.

I've had 3 919's GREAT bikes... I'd never trade my RC for one though, that wishy washy frame that's what made me ditch the 9er's and probably why they never really got popular here in the states even us naked guys want performance, don't give me that de-nutted stuff, BMW finally did one right but I cant afford it right now the s1000r. I even upgraded the front end on one 919 but that frame flex or whatever you'd call it was horrific, like throwing a bowl of Jell-o into a corner. I kinda took the riding position naked bike concept of the 919 and applied it to a RC. Now I've got the best of both worlds (hater blockers on LOL)

Back to the RC's the '00-'03 have a black frame and swing arm the '04 is the Nicky Hayden edition (I'd love to get my hands on a factory clean one of these) it has a brushed looking frame and swinger all of those are red black and silver paint schemes the 05-06 have a black and grey paint scheme black frame and swinger.

Hope this helps, I had a 02 03 and 07 919 I loved the paint on the 03

F$#k resale concern you're not gonna wanna sell it, besides they hold their value well not like the poor 9'ers you can get those CHEAP these days. And welcome!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome. If I were in the U.S. I'd look for a clean NH edition, or one of the grey 05-06 models. There will be some difference in price, but you probably won't know what you did with the difference in a year or so, if you spend it on a more expensive bike anyways...

Besides, it's not dead money. A more desirable version is always going to be worth more anyways. They're both good bikes, but the many differences are worth the money.

Keep us posted - lots of us here can tell all sorts of things from pictures of bikes.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time with all the information guys.

I am a bit money crunched right now but can fess up with enough for an 01. I am more of a poser these days but I like to have good bikes with performance and handling, I spend a huge amount of time in Western NC where great corners are king. Looking forward to picking one up soon, seems like it is easy enough to find them with 16-30 K miles on them, that seems pretty new to me.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
Oh, That's special, first post on a new forum and it's a double...I love branding myself as a dumb ass right out of the box
No problem....taken care of, welcome to the forum!
bykemike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode