• 1 Post By DaveJB
  • 1 Post By robertj1979
  • 1 Post By DaveJB
  • 1 Post By Archangel_RC51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up Finally part of the cool crowd...

Hello all,

The name is Gabe and I have been a longtime fan of the RC51 and am proud to say that after many missed opportunities I have one to call my own. Truth be told I am a Die Hard Kawi fan and have owned 3 ZX7's, but the bike that has always had a special place in my heart is the RC51.

As a teen in high school I remember going out to the local hangouts and would see everyone stop in their tracks when an RC would pull in. That is what got me to build my first Kawi from the ground up. The Kawasaki brand always treated me good so I stayed there, that is until I was driving home one day and saw my new baby.

Proud to say that after 18 years since this bike came out I was able to get a 2001 SP1 with under 5,000 original miles for about $4,000. I haven't wasted much time since I got it either. Already did the full Power Commander set-up (including the Auto-Tune and map switch), along with all the factory removal mods (may have some follow up questions for you folks on this). I can safely say that I have mostly the folks on this forum to thank. It is insanely hard to find anything for a discontinued bike, especially info. So, from the bottom of my heart thank all of you folks who took the time to share your love of the RC with the world. I should have a list of my mods coming up soon, I hope to make all of you proud!

Cheers,

Red Flash, robertj1979 and DaveJB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Sounds nice. Enjoy and welcome to the club!
Archangel_RC51 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Wow, great intro! So jealous how you paid so little for a bike with few miles. I paid 6k for a 2005 with 20,000 miles but that's partly because it was local and I could look it over closely.

I'm a new owner and a noob here but welcome!

Oh, lastly, TTIWWP's!!!

*let's see some photos man!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
Wow, great intro! So jealous how you paid so little for a bike with few miles. I paid 6k for a 2005 with 20,000 miles but that's partly because it was local and I could look it over closely.

I'm a new owner and a noob here but welcome!

Oh, lastly, TTIWWP's!!!

*let's see some photos man!
Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to get some cool shots of the bike soon. I am currently gutting a lot of the older water hoses and detail cleaning the old girl up. I hope to get her back together after I get my headers back from Jet-Hot and my new exhaust.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome! Sounds like you found a nice one and I am a bit jealous. Mine is also a 2001 and have 16000+ miles and thought I was lucky to find this mileage on a bike this age. Have only had mine a few months and still getting used to the ride which is totally different from my previous bikes (2009 GSXR 1000, Honda CBR 1000 and 929). One caution and almost learned the hard way is lack of slipper clutch. Have been used to the slipper and now downshifting with the torque of the v-twin can cause it to loose traction unlike the other bikes I had. Not a good thing especially if roads are a bit wet. Mine unfortunately had many changes that I wish were not done. Would have rather had original turn signals and fenders etc and the electrical work was a bit of a mess. One thing I don't like about the 2001 model is lack of swing arm spool attachment ability but found a way to work around it with a long metal rod thru the hollow axle nut. I am sure you will find plenty of useful information on this site as I have and enjoy the ride!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel_RC51 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to get some cool shots of the bike soon. I am currently gutting a lot of the older water hoses and detail cleaning the old girl up. I hope to get her back together after I get my headers back from Jet-Hot and my new exhaust.
EDIT: @Archangel_RC51 , any chance you have pictures of where you welded the bungs? Is it just the same spot as @kwtoxman ?

Interesting. After I get two oxygen sensor bungs welded in I'm also sending my headers to Jet-Hot. As a Kawi fan you'll appreciate the 9R I've had for about 10 months. I liked it so much that if I wasn't in an accident recently I'd have missed the RC51 for sale that I bought. I hope it can be repaired and then god knows what I'll do. I'm not sure I need two bikes that are fairly similar. Amazing thing about the Ninja is that it had only 6,000 miles when I bought it, it was in almost new condition in every aspect and the PO had put about $12,000 into the drivetrain to bring the RWHP up to about 170. It was stupid fast. I only have the one ride on the RC when I rode it home but I'm a bit worried as it felt really slow compared to the Ninja. We'll see how that plays out. Nonetheless, I've always loved the looks and sound of the RC.

LOL - sorry for the novel, just love to talk about both of these bikes. Here's a few shots of my Ninja with some after the wreck (not my fault, I was run off the highway by a moron).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171105_182112.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	128423   Click image for larger version

Name:	new right side cropped.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	128425   Click image for larger version

Name:	new rotors rear.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	128427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180711_193724.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	128429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180711_193743.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	128431  

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-19-2018 at 11:12 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
EDIT: @Archangel_RC51 , any chance you have pictures of where you welded the bungs? Is it just the same spot as @kwtoxman ?

Interesting. After I get two oxygen sensor bungs welded in I'm also sending my headers to Jet-Hot. As a Kawi fan you'll appreciate the 9R I've had for about 10 months. I liked it so much that if I wasn't in an accident recently I'd have missed the RC51 for sale that I bought. I hope it can be repaired and then god knows what I'll do. I'm not sure I need two bikes that are fairly similar. Amazing thing about the Ninja is that it had only 6,000 miles when I bought it, it was in almost new condition in every aspect and the PO had put about $12,000 into the drivetrain to bring the RWHP up to about 170. It was stupid fast. I only have the one ride on the RC when I rode it home but I'm a bit worried as it felt really slow compared to the Ninja. We'll see how that plays out. Nonetheless, I've always loved the looks and sound of the RC.

LOL - sorry for the novel, just love to talk about both of these bikes. Here's a few shots of my Ninja with some after the wreck (not my fault, I was run off the highway by a moron).

It's currently at Jet-Hot right now. As soon as it gets back I will try and snap some images for you homie! Nasty looking Kawi, BTW!
DaveJB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode