Northern CA here - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rc51_530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Northern CA here

Hi all! New to the forum. If you're in the gold country/sac valley/reno area, shoot me a message. Looking for fellow local rc riders to cruise with. Hit Sonoma or Thunderhill tracks from time to time. Lots of twisties in my area. Lets roll!
rc51_530 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome 530. I'm in Sacramento. Still a month away from my rebuild completion, but I've been riding this area for the last 10 years, 8 of them on my RC51. Haven't been to sonoma yet, might not. I've seen the track, rode in my buddy's Shelby for a session. Looks kind of hard for a motorcycle? I don't know.
Anyway, hope to see you around.
Us NorCal guys need to organize an epic ride for next summer, hopefully the whole northern half of the state won't be on fire.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
LDH®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Jon go ride Sonoma! Aside from the track crumbling apart at the seams it is an absolute blast on a motorcycle. Great rollercoaster for a trackday and you don't have to even ride that hard to have a great time as it is more about finesse than hp. I rarely get above 9500rpm just cruising in the fun zone and I giggle the entire time. Definitely my favorite track in California

jondog9 likes this.
LDH® is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rc51_530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Welcome 530. I'm in Sacramento. Still a month away from my rebuild completion, but I've been riding this area for the last 10 years, 8 of them on my RC51. Haven't been to sonoma yet, might not. I've seen the track, rode in my buddy's Shelby for a session. Looks kind of hard for a motorcycle? I don't know.
Anyway, hope to see you around.
Us NorCal guys need to organize an epic ride for next summer, hopefully the whole northern half of the state won't be on fire.
Sounds good, let me know when you're done with your build and maybe we can go hit some foothill twisties. I have yet to hit Sonoma on a bike but been in and raced/drifted on it in cars. Such a fun track. Looking forward to meeting more rc owners. Came from cruiser life but have had many fun times on friends sport bikes so I decided to get this rc. Love for the vtwin is deep. I don't think I could have found a better bike. I absolutely love it and will never part with it. ('04 rc51) Hope to hear from you when you're ready to cruise!
rc51_530 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rc51_530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH®️ View Post
Jon go ride Sonoma! Aside from the track crumbling apart at the seams it is an absolute blast on a motorcycle. Great rollercoaster for a trackday and you don't have to even ride that hard to have a great time as it is more about finesse than hp. I rarely get above 9500rpm just cruising in the fun zone and I giggle the entire time. Definitely my favorite track in California

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a blast on 2 wheels. Really excited about hitting a track day there now! As for cars, it is definitely my favorite track in CA. Have yet to drive Laguna but I'm thinking it will be just as fun, in it's own way.
rc51_530 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Junior Member
 
St. Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
530, welcome. I could do Icehouse --> Wentworth Springs all day long, jealous of you guys who don't have to slog across the valley first.

LDH, I did my 2nd track day (ever) at Sonoma last September. I loved the first half of the track but just couldn't figure out the 2nd half after the carousel, especially 7, the chicane, and 11 (it didn't help that it was 105F that day either). Nice tight track but breaking up as you mentioned. Fun video!
jondog9 likes this.
St. Stephen is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
LDH®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Stephen View Post
LDH, I did my 2nd track day (ever) at Sonoma last September. I loved the first half of the track but just couldn't figure out the 2nd half after the carousel, especially 7, the chicane, and 11 (it didn't help that it was 105F that day either). Nice tight track but breaking up as you mentioned. Fun video!

First half is like my home track Barber Motorsports, fast and flowing. The second half is a bit more technical in that you have to not only get the line right, but need the bike set-up properly as well. You have to get the geometry set correctly so the bike steers equally well through the faster chicanes as well as on Trailbraking. If either of those areas are deficient and/or you are not real comfortable at setting the front end during trailbraking to get the bike to steer on the brakes then it will definitely force you to struggle and play catch up until you make it back on to the front straight. Definitely a Riders track over HP.
LDH® is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51_530 View Post
Sounds good, let me know when you're done with your build and maybe we can go hit some foothill twisties. I have yet to hit Sonoma on a bike but been in and raced/drifted on it in cars. Such a fun track. Looking forward to meeting more rc owners. Came from cruiser life but have had many fun times on friends sport bikes so I decided to get this rc. Love for the vtwin is deep. I don't think I could have found a better bike. I absolutely love it and will never part with it. ('04 rc51) Hope to hear from you when you're ready to cruise!
Well, I'm done. Bike is back together and running as good as I remember. Like she hadn't even been down for 15 months.

I know we're getting into fall, but as weather and road conditions permit, I usually ride all winter long. Berryessa area is a great ride when roads are dry in the winter. I talk with another RC owner in Manteca, I'm interested in riding that area too, since it's lower elevation.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Russ*Collins51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NorCal Foothills
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Another (530) RC51 here. We should get a ride going, AS SOON AS JONDOG GET'S HIS RUNNING!

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
Russ*Collins51 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 PM
Junior Member
 
St. Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm up for a ride. New shock and a recent track day have me looking forward to more road time before rain arrives.
St. Stephen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome