RC51 Forums banner

Hello from Poland

9K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  gayatrisc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

i have recently bought an almost 100% stock 2003 SP2 in white. It has also a very interesting history which i will try to share with You guys later on.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi,

sure i will share the history of this purchase and this bike.

It all started about 2 years ago when I slowly decided that I'd like to buy an SP2. In Europe this bike is not so popular and not so easy to buy in an original specification without modifications. I have found one but I was thinking too long and it was sold within a few days. Since then from time to time i was searching for one but in this time prices in Europe have risen about 20-30% for a clean SP2. Few weeks ago I have checked the advertisments and came across the one that I have bought.

I have called the seller and asked him some basic questions about a used bike. I saw that he does not know a lot about this bike so I asked him if he is the owner of the bike. He said no and that he is selling the bike in the name of his sister because it belonged to her husband which has passed away three years ago. From that time the bike was not used and only started/warmed up form time to time.

I have asked the seller to send me some detailed pictures of the bike and have made a fast decision that I want to purchase the bike so I made a reservation. I have also checked the history of the bike in the internet and found out that it was sold in 2003 by a Polish dealership. The first owner lived 30km from my city. I took a day off at work and together with my friend we went on a 1000km tour.

When we arrived the bike was in the same condition as described by the seller and as pictures showed. It needed a lot of TLC and a major service of spark plugs, fluids, filters, battery, tires etc. Also because it was not used in the last years seals of the front fork were shot. I made a test drive and decided to buy it. Papers were done fast and I had to dismantle the front part of the bike to secure it properly on the transporter. We came back home late at night.

In the following days i changed oil, fluids etc and drove it for a few days to check if everything is ok.

Now the most interesting part of the history. When I was in my 20’s during summer break at the college I used to work at local Honda dealership which belonged to my friend. I remember that back then he has sold only one SP2 which I have personally took out of the crate and assembled/started for the first time. Back then the bike was extremly expensive and in 2003 only 12-13 were sold in Poland. As I already wrote above the first owner lived 30km from my city. I took the papers and showed them to my friend. He has checked the frame number and it is the same bike!!! Below You will find a picture of me back then on this SP2 from a local news paper which I have stored at home( A journalist wanted to write an article about bikers. Of course he wrote what he wanted and not what we have told him. He also needed a picture so we took the SP2 out of the showroom :) ).

When I found out that it is the same bike and shared the information with my friends everyone tells me now that such a history is almost impssible to happen and that now I should never sell the bike :)

As winter is coming I have started to dismantle the bike and started to clean it / detail, do some maintenance works, check and preserve the electrics etc.

Attachments

#9 ·
Dzien dobry!!

There are still ~1,200 SP1/2's registered in the Netherlands so whilst you donot see them every day, there are a significant number still in use.
Prices though, as in Poland are rising rapidly. Bought mine 2 seasons ago and pretty much can double "my money" no problem.

#15 ·
Update :)

Fork seals done.

Now it was time to do the calipers.

Before (15 years no real maintenance, I wonder how did it work):

After:

I am waiting for the caliper screws to be galvanised and calipers will be ready to be mounted.

#20 ·
Hello and welcome man!

I served in the Polish Army as a UAV Pilot in Afghanistan from 20011 to 2013 at FOB Ghazni,
We learned lots of things from the polish soldiers, they were very ingenious, they brought over some kind of Cleaner they used for the Hinde Mi Helicopters, it was pure Vodka with a few blades of grass ...high octane shit that was..

Anyways I really loved hanging out with the polish because they straight don’t give a fuck and we were constantly engaging the enemy..

Sweet ride these RC51’s are.. dbac’

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.