RC51 Forums banner

2000 RC51 Flooded

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EbolaRC51 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased a used 2000 RC51. The bike did not run when I purchased it but, was said to have run weeks before. The fuel pump tested bad so, I replaced with one from Fuel Pump Factory. After replacement, the bike ran and idled well as I ran it up to full operating temp and then changed the oil as all the fairings were off. The oil smelled of old rancid fuel. After a few days,(busy) I was finally able to take it for a ride. Within a few miles the bike was acting like it was getting way to much fuel. After staling multiple times, I limped the bike back home. Not knowing what to think I had bounced the idea around that I had removed the Power Commander that was installed on the bike during the new fuel pump install. I decided to put it back in. After reinstalling the Power Commander, The bike fired right up and ran well. The next day I was able to put about 20 miles on. Then, after making a few stops the bike is running like its getting way to much fuel again. I limped it back home again. I removed the lid for the air box and opened up the butterflies. A pool of fuel is sitting on the front intake valves. After removing the air box completely, and hooking up the fuel tank then turning the ignition on, the fuel is leaking into the throttle bodies from the vacuum tubes coming from the pressure regulator. Not much fuel is going into the rear cylinder but, the front one is flooding. Is their a way to test the fuel pump regulator? Has anyone come across a similar issue?

Its my first RC51 and am happy to finally own one. Its not a show piece but, thats okay with me. I did purchase the service manual for it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.