Tire and suspension questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire and suspension questions

hey guys this weekend I put 600 miles of hard mountain riding on my bike and my front q2 is cupping really bad, my question is do I need to change my suspension settings or is this just something I should expect from abusing the tire? I don't really understand a lot about suspension but the bike does everything I ask of it without breaking traction, I'm the fastest in the mountains out of our group of around 10 but im no Nicky Hayden lol, I do get on the front brakes hard enough to make the back end light and have a controlled slide into the corners but I don't feel the bike pushing through corners, thanks guys

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
520 conv. 15/40 RK quick accel kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I don't know enough about suspension to say why it's cupping, or if it's even a suspension issue, but what tire pressure are you at when the tire is all warmed up?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I haven't ever checked my pressure with the tires warmed up, I guess I should but cold it's 36 in the front.

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Pressure has virtually nothing to do with it. It is the result of the rubber being pushed into the tread gap under braking & being left uneven when the tire springs back up. The best way to help alleviate the wear is to be extremely smooth with your braking, but it is going to happen to some degree no matter what with a DOT tire

Various tread patterns do work better on some brands of tires and the belting on the carcass has lot to do with it too because of the way it disperses the load while on the brakes. If you ever notice the Bridgestones (which as noted are just horrible for this cupping effect) also like to follow the grooves on the interstate & feel kinda like they are floating around. No other OEM DOT type tire I have used has had that feeling like that except maybe some of the Dunslops from 10 or so years ago.

Last edited by LDH®; 07-14-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback LDH, ill try to alter my braking technique when i throw my q3 on.

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Assuming outside temp around 75F degrees, I'm guessing your front tire is warming up to around 40psi. I've seen as high as 6psi raise in my front on a hot day and hard riding. Normal increase from cold to warm for me is around 4psi front and 3psi rear. Approximately...

I found with my q2's, and also with my new s20r's, the tire performs best for me at around 28-30r & 32-33f when all warmed up.
Assuming it's about 80 degrees outside, I set cold pressure around 26rear and around 29front.

But- I don't brake anywhere nearly as hard as you do, so some difference there I guess.

I know that sounds low, but that was my experience after continually adjusting down over two years. I used to run around 34r -35f cold. Yeah the tires still perform fine, but don't feel as grippy. I suppose the contact patch is smaller the higher the pressure.

This is all street experience, not track. Using a Motion Pro digital gauge, with calibration reset capability. I trust the readings I'm getting.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Q2 has a bit soft compound that is why it wears faster. Try to change it and observe for the first 50 kms. I bought the new Q3 from 4wheelonline, its a bit tougher compared with the old Q2 and grip is way better.

Last edited by rc-rider; 07-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode