2001 Valve Adjustment - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up 2001 Valve Adjustment

Hello All!

2001 RC51. 30k miles. Time for a valve adjustment. Anybody have a good write up. I'm seriously studying my service manual like reading it over and over on my free time. A great write up with pictures or any sort of hints. It has so many things I think are going to far in the manual. Pretty sure I just need a basic valve inspection/adjustment not like taking the cylinder apart in full! Anything helps!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM

If you have never messed with an engine or checked shim clearances you might take a look at my Aprilia SXV valve shim how-to video to orient yourself with the process, even if the engine is different. At least its a v-twin.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check that out. I have been in motorcycle engines since I was a kid. But i'm getting into more advanced things and I have never been into paying people to do things I can do myself. Is it better to do it with engine off. Because I would really like to bypass that! lol ,

Thanks

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM

I doubt the engine needs to be removed on the RC51. I had to remove my Aprilia's engine because it was in a supermoto and the chassis was too cramped.

At around 2:00 I check the clearances with feelers and 3:20 I start to replace the shims

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 05-21-2012 at 10:46 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

when people are referring to having one valve in spec and another out of spec. Are they referring to putting a feeler gauge under the valve? If its out of spec, what exactly am I adjusting? In that case is it the shim that needs to be inspected? Kinda confused on what exactly i'm adjusting
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

My RC has 30,000 miles as well. Just did my inspection/adjustment a couple weeks ago. 1 valve out of the 8 was out of spec. It's not that hard. I would definitely start with the rear cylinder as it is much more accessible. Should you need to adjust any you just have to remove the cam in question, remove the valve bucket, and remove the current shim. Then replace it with the new shim. I know I'm really boiling it down to basics, but just print off the pages and take them out with you. It will lead you through just fine.

"Like a junkie trying to get his hands on the next fix,
those of us who seek the thrill of speed and danger will
do anything to get those glands pumping out that juice."
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

My service manual does not give specs for both sides of the valve clearance. Anyone have a resource for that as well? like left and right side valve clearance. in other words how am i supposed to know if its too small or big of a gap?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The valve clearance specs are:
Intake:
.16mm +/- .03mm (.006" +/- .001")

Exhaust:
.31mm +/- .03mm (.012" +/- .001")

Use a strong magnet to carefully lift the bucket out of it's bore.
Be careful, as the shim often sticks to the bucket and can fall into the cylinder (if plugs removed) or oil passageway.

Do not mix the buckets. Make sure they go back into the same bore they came from.

Write down each shim's clearance and when known, each shim's number as a record for when shim thickness calculations are to be done.

When installing the cam journal caps, be sure and orient them in the proper direction.
The arrows on the journal caps have arrows that always point towards the intake.
The journal caps also have indicators for which cam they are for.
The correct indicator are those that are not scribed through.

Example:
This is the cam journal cap for the Front Intake cap.

And this is the Front Exhaust cap.

Last edited by SubSailor; 05-22-2012 at 08:27 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

wow man thank you so much. this helps alot everyone has been really helpful on here. So pretty much i put the correct feeler gauge under the cam shaft and the bucket and if it does not feel snug or doesn't go in at all i need to record which feeler gauge actually fits correct, record it, then do the math to add up the the correct amount weather that be 16mm or 31mm depending on which side i'm doing.

For instance if the exhaust side turns out to be 30mm then I need to add....? why would I not just put a 31mm shim back into the bore? does that make sense, i'm sure that sounds stupid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode