Ohlins...now or later??? Is it really worth it??? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohlins...now or later??? Is it really worth it???

Long story short: I spent this winter rebuilding my SP2 and now I'm debating buying an Ohlins shock before I have even rode it.
So its getting down to crunch time. Im from VA and will be going to VIR with NESBA in two weeks. I was hoping to have already had my bike titled and registered for street use to become acquainted with her. I will have the title issued this week and will hope to have her on the road soon. Yet, unfortunately I have only put ~ 300 miles on this bike since I bought it, and it is still a new machine to me. So, after reading so much about the sluggish handling and how much improvement can be had with the installation of an Ohlins unit, I am debating purchasing one and installing it before I go to the track.
My question is: Is it that bad... is the improvement that beneficial???

Should I run it without it for a month or so or should I just buy it and never look back??? Basically, will I really be shooting myself in the foot that much, by tracking it with oem shock? To buy or not to buy? I'd have no problem throwing it on a credit card and paying it off in due time.

I was hoping to have had a better idea regarding this matter, but since I have not had the chance to test/tune on the street, I'm seeking the forum's advice.

NOW or LATER????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Many options out there.... Most swear by the Ohlins..... I swear that anything is better then stock.
Best to buy it now.... used or new does not matter really, better to buy new IMHO.
Dan kyle has a real good price on them still, soon they will be all gone.... and you will not find them new anymore.
I think you will benefit from these two mods more then anything else you can buy for the rc..... Suspension upgrades and aftermarket wheels to loose weight.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was already planning on having the Ohlins unit installed by this summer. I hear ya on anything is better than stock. I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying Millers used unit for ~ $800. I was gonna, but I wanted to get an idea of how the stock unit performs, first. I'm leaning towards just pulling the trigger and not looking back...but I'm still unsure.

Last edited by XR2RC; 03-24-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Is b.miller's gone? I thought he still had it? I would pm him...as for second guessing yourself, do it and never look back.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, b.miller's shock is gone..... like 2-3 weeks ago....

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Guys, I know some may disagree, but look at bespoke alternatives too.
Ohlins is good, but I wouldn't change to such by choice now. Suspension made specifically for the rider by people who have supplied IOM race teams for decades can be pretty good too. IOM is pretty bumpy & twisty, as are most of the UK's better roads... www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk

It's worth considering options before making a general choice.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you want an Íhlins, the new one from Dan Kyle is going to be the best deal you'll find at less than $1000 to your door and sprung for your weight. They probably won't ever make another run. After those are sold out, you'll see used ones going for more. That is what happened last time. There were people selling used ones for $1200 or more.

I haven't used any other aftermarket shock on the RC, but anything would be an incredible improvement over stock. If you go with a used shock, you have to factor in a possible rebuild and respring. So that used $600 Penske can wind up costing you several hundred more.

If you are planning on tracking the bike, get a shock now. You'll want one two laps into your first session when every bump feels like a mountain and the rear keeps spinning up on exit. Ask any track guru and they will all tell you the same thing when it comes to setting any bike up for the track (or street for that matter): get your suspension sorted before everything else.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
What track experience do you have. If you are doing your first trackday it would be benificial to feel the OEM suspension and have a comparison to go by, however the forks and shock BOTH need to get adressed.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do it. It's probably one of the most important mods you can do if you track the bike. The others being good quality riding gear.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

So I bought the shock!
As for my track experience, I just began riding track last year. I had a 2000 GSX-R600 that I owned for 3 years before I sold it. I have a Buell that is used for my street bike, which pushed be to build a track dedicated bike. I was looking for a 00-05 GSXR750, but over time, I became more drawn to the V-twin power and character of my Buell. So, when I saw an opportunity to get a RC51 for cheap, I got it. Spent time collecting parts and rebuilding, and now she's about ready to roll. Buell for street bike, and RC51 for track days. I have new gear from last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode