Ohlins rear shock,Kyle linkage, 190-55 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohlins rear shock,Kyle linkage, 190-55

Hello. I apologize if this has already been stated one thousand times or if this is in the wrong place.
I am not a mechanic, nor am I well versed in suspension, so take this with a grain of salt.
I have a 2005 RC 51 that had a stock rear shock, stock linkage, and a 190-50 rear tire. The back end my bike seemed too low compared to the front and turn-in was suffering. So much of this effort was to address the geometry of the bike first and then to also improve handling by getting better suspension. I am aware that the front suspension still needs to be addressed.
I bought an Ohlins rear shock with remote preload adjuster, the Kyle USA linkage, and a 190-55 rear tire which is taller than the 190-50 and has a steeper profile.
The ride height adjustment advice that I could find online was to loosen the blue lock nut at near the bottom of the shock and then adjust the nut above it to raise or lower the ride height. With the shock mounted to my bike along with the Kyle linkage, I tried this method, but doing this caused the cable of the remote preload adjuster to wrap around the shock because turning that nut turns the whole body of the shock. In addition to this problem, the stock position for ride height and anything raised from that position, caused the spring of the shock to make contact with the swing arm right where the weld on the swing arm is. The answer in my situation, was to keep the shock at the stock ride height adjustment instead of turning that nut above the blue lock nut, but then instead, disconnect the bottom of the shock from the linkage and then spin the part of the shock that attaches to the linkage by hand to the desired ride height. Doing so will keep the remote preload cable from getting twisted around the shock. This however, will not help you when it comes to clearance from the swingarm. I had to lower the ride height until I saw a sliver of light between the spring on the shock and the swing arm. Note: You will not notice the clearance issue until the shock and linkage are connected completely. So you might have to disconnect, adjust, reconnect, a few times until you get it just right. My setting ended up being just slightly lower than the Ohlins came shipped, but with the Ohlins, the Kyle linkage, and the 190-55, I gained a signifcant increase in ride height. The kick stand now seems rediculously short, but it is still usable.
By the way, when swapping the shocks out or when testing the clearance of the newly installed shock, I used two jack stands on the frame (fairings were pulled in order to do this) so that I could unload the swingarm and shock while making adjustments. So a rear stand, front stand (or wheel chock), and jack stands (or some method of suspending the rear end of the bike without using the swing arm or rear tire) are advised. A friend or two can be a big help as well.
I just wanted to post this because I got quite frustrated trying to figure it out and it was at a time of day when shops were closed and I did not find the answers that I was looking for on a forum (although I would not be surprised if this exact information was available some where on this forum). I never post things, but I hope that this helps at least one person. I don't currently have pics, but could add some if this post is not immediately removed or discredited

2005 Honda RC51 - black
Flapper mod
PAIR mod
Soft rev limiter removed
Yosh slip-ons
Steel braided brake lines
Carbon fiber radiator fins
CRG levers
SpeedoHealer
Sprocket -1 in front, + 2 in back
Ohlins rear shock
190-55 rear tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6872 you should have asked here first...you will need an extended side stand also.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6872 you should have asked here first...you will need an extended side stand also.
I have a Penske double clicker raised about 6mm, 190/55 and didn't need a extended sidestand. But I do have my front lowered 5mm. It looks like it's leaning a lot but as long as I am on level ground or have the RC leaned toward a hill, I am fine. It takes a lot of lean to actually tip the RC over.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. After installing the ohlins rear shock and hopefully being past the swingarm clearance issues, I finally got around to checking my rider sag tonight and I was pleased to find that the rear rider sag is 26mm which is in between the 25mm-30mm recommendation. I then checked my totally stock front rider sag and came up with 48mm sag. According to what I have read online, this about 8-10mm too much sag. But that seems like a large amount of sag to account for with my current setup. Should I instead just adjust for about 4mm sag until I can afford to respring/revalve my forks for my weight? Or should I just leave it as is until I can afford to do that work? I am only riding on the street for now and honestly, I am not riding it hard right now. I don't want to ride aggressively until I feel confident about the suspension. I figure it's only $650 or so for Ohlins internals up front and may as well match front and rear. Just not sure how much I would save going with another brand up front. I would appreciate any advice on how much preload is generally safe to adjust by on stock front forks and what cost difference there would be between Ohlins internals vs RaceTech etc. I weigh 165 lbs so my rear shock has a spring for 180-185 because I accounted for leathers/helmet/clothes/boots. So the same would apply to the front. Thanks.

2005 Honda RC51 - black
Flapper mod
PAIR mod
Soft rev limiter removed
Yosh slip-ons
Steel braided brake lines
Carbon fiber radiator fins
CRG levers
SpeedoHealer
Sprocket -1 in front, + 2 in back
Ohlins rear shock
190-55 rear tire
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM

I have the same setup and has worked fine for me. It's scarey at first but It's fine and does not fall over. I do keep a small piece of 1x4 in my trunk (about the size of a cigarette pack) for extreme case's. That 3/4 inch rise seems perfect.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have noticed that most of the guys are just using shock length and fork drop to adjust there suspension. But what are you adjusting to or for?

In my experience, the two most important things that you need to be building your setup towards are swing arm angle and trail.

There are many threads on here and SZ that can help you get to a good setup.

Tweenie51. You can not get a good sag reading on stock SP2 forks, ie top out spring. Call Dan Kyle to get a good redo of your forks and advice on your rear shock and setup. He has the most experience and can get you to a good setup the quickest.

SwiftTone. With six up in the back and five down in the front, with unknown fork length or mods, what is your trail number?

Last edited by Hondad; 07-11-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Hondad;220162]
Tweenie51. You can not get a good sag reading on stock SP2 forks, ie top out spring. Call Dan Kyle to get a good redo of your forks and advice on your rear shock and setup. He has the most experience and can get you to a good setup

Why can't a good sag reading be done on a stock SP2 fork? I remeber a mechanic once told me that the RC had something different regarding its forks...does anyone know the specific details?

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode