Rear shock questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear shock questions

Hey guys got a question about my rear suspension (stock) it feels loose in the corners (Angeles crest hwy) is my weekend getaway) I've played with the dial numerous times it only controls the stiffness not the rebound . I'm a big guy 6'3 255lb I'm
Rocking pilots 2ct 190/55 16-42 gearing ride height adjusted up .. Any info or recommendation would help ,. (Ps as for ohlins rear shock , I've gotta wait til income tax if any1 wanted to throw that out there ) lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Moved to suspension.....
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
there is a rebound adjuster at the bottom of your shock, it takes a flat screwdriver

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you adjusting the ride height? Did you put washers between the shock and mount?

I'm asking because maybe you're mistakenly adjusting the preload.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The OEM shock is not sprung for your weight range, so it would squat in the rear while cornering or under hard throttle.

The OEM shock had low-speed compression and rebound adjusters, and you can tweak it to some degree, but beyond that, a better quality shock is needed.
Ditto for the forks, in that their springs will need to be matched to your weight and possible re-valved for better operation.

It's a fact of life that factories only supply suspension that's "good enough" for a rider of a certain weight range (around 150-170 lbs).

And if you that that's bad, for non-race replica bikes, it's even worse. They get truly abysmal suspension.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
OEM shock on the RC51 is not worth its weight as a boat anchor. You will never get it set up correctly because contrary to popular myth it is not designed to haul 150-170 lbs, but rather the maximum load of the bike which is closer to 360lbs. It has to be able to safely haul that much weight around for liability reasons. the bike does afterall have a back seat on it and passenger pegs... Ultimately the rear is way oversprung and the damping rate is just plain wrong for any type of riding.

It's similar to the tire pressure ratings. The manual and swingarm tell you to run 42psi in the rear tire, but that is only for carrying the maximum load rating of the tire. Running less pressure results in a better ride and more grip from the tires, but for liability reasons they tell you 42psi is the correct pressure.

If you want the rear end to be compliant then replace the shock with a quality aftermarket unit. There really is no other option.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When was the last time your shock was professionally serviced? Shocks have oil and nitrogen that need to be changed regularly and are often forgotten.

Being in LA, I'm sure there is an abundance of capable shops able to do this for you. I would look into getting it properly sprung and serviced (~$200) vs going all out for a race shock at ~$800>

Call TJ at 866.931.6644 x 817 for all your motorcycle parts & accessories needs!

Become an RD fan on our facebook page

Visit our website at Riders Discount

Ask me about our specials!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I've not found anyone who would service a OEM shock. Everyone I asked about it said the cost would not yield any decent improvement. I asked about 4 or 5 different shops and suspension experts. That was a couple years ago...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersDiscount View Post
When was the last time your shock was professionally serviced? Shocks have oil and nitrogen that need to be changed regularly and are often forgotten.

Being in LA, I'm sure there is an abundance of capable shops able to do this for you. I would look into getting it properly sprung and serviced (~$200) vs going all out for a race shock at ~$800>
You should stick to selling luggage bags and let the adults work on bikes...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
OEM shock on the RC51 is not worth its weight as a boat anchor. You will never get it set up correctly because contrary to popular myth it is not designed to haul 150-170 lbs, but rather the maximum load of the bike which is closer to 360lbs. It has to be able to safely haul that much weight around for liability reasons. the bike does afterall have a back seat on it and passenger pegs... Ultimately the rear is way oversprung and the damping rate is just plain wrong for any type of riding.

It's similar to the tire pressure ratings. The manual and swingarm tell you to run 42psi in the rear tire, but that is only for carrying the maximum load rating of the tire. Running less pressure results in a better ride and more grip from the tires, but for liability reasons they tell you 42psi is the correct pressure.

If you want the rear end to be compliant then replace the shock with a quality aftermarket unit. There really is no other option.
Mine held down some papers in the garage without fail!

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode