DK reworked forks vs "Big Piston" forks - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DK reworked forks vs "Big Piston" forks

I bought my RC this month last year and have put over 11k miles on it all riding within the New England area. To say the least, I love riding it. But somethings I get dreaming on what my next bike will be. I know it will be something in the middleweight class(636, 675, 750 etc) because I simply don't use the power and would like something that I can wring out on the street.

Over the winter I invested in getting my forks reworked by DK, and getting a Penske double clicker shock. It absoultely transformed the bike and it has become planted and confidence inspiring in the corners. Since I just put a decent amount of money on suspension, I wouldn't want to lose out on a nice setup on my next bike. Many of the newer bikes come with Big Piston forks.

So how do these forks compare to the RC's forks that have been revalved? Have 13 years of advancement with OEM equipment exceeded forks that are 13 years old but with updated internals? Anyone have experience with both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

BUMP.

Anyone?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I asked a similar question to my suspension guy and this is what his response to me was:

Going from stock to an updated set of internals (20mm?) that is set up for the rider's weight and style is a big jump in performance. Going from the updated internals to a big valve (30mm?) would likely only be felt by a high end rider on the track, maybe a 5% improvement.

I would say that reworked RC forks are as good or better than any "stock" forks other than Ohlins.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92VFR View Post
I asked a similar question to my suspension guy and this is what his response to me was:

Going from stock to an updated set of internals (20mm?) that is set up for the rider's weight and style is a big jump in performance. Going from the updated internals to a big valve (30mm?) would likely only be felt by a high end rider on the track, maybe a 5% improvement.

I would say that reworked RC forks are as good or better than any "stock" forks other than Ohlins.
How about Big Piston forks setup for rider's weight vs 20mm Ohlins setup for rider's weight?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
When we discussed it, the comparison was intended to be between the Ohlins 20mm kit versus the 30mm kit. He said that I would never "feel" the difference on the street and it would take a high end track rider to extract a difference. Considering that anybody else's "stock" < Ohlins stock, I would say that there is likely not much of an advantage (if any) over 20mm Ohlins. The only things better than an Ohlins 20mm kit would be an Ohlins 30mm kit or complete fork kit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
don't try to justify a bike change based on the forks alone. change bikes based on what you want out of it.
getting rid of the RC to move to a 600 after the new wears off you will miss the low end grunt around town. There is something about a V-twin around town that just works better.
I sold my RC and got an 04 1000rr... traded the 1000rr for an 1125R... sold 1125R thinking I was going track only bought a 560SMR(I also own a 06 GSXR750 Race bike)... Bought an 02 Mille-R in the winter before season started... and I just bought an 09 R1. I still miss my RC.
My Mille-R:

Last edited by TLRSKUNK; 10-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
I bought my RC this month last year and have put over 11k miles on it all riding within the New England area. To say the least, I love riding it. But somethings I get dreaming on what my next bike will be. I know it will be something in the middleweight class(636, 675, 750 etc) because I simply don't use the power and would like something that I can wring out on the street.

Over the winter I invested in getting my forks reworked by DK, and getting a Penske double clicker shock. It absoultely transformed the bike and it has become planted and confidence inspiring in the corners. Since I just put a decent amount of money on suspension, I wouldn't want to lose out on a nice setup on my next bike. Many of the newer bikes come with Big Piston forks.

So how do these forks compare to the RC's forks that have been revalved? Have 13 years of advancement with OEM equipment exceeded forks that are 13 years old but with updated internals? Anyone have experience with both?
Your first paragraph is a bit confusing. Are you saying that you aren't able to wring out the RC51 on the street, but you think you'll be able to do that with a middleweight 600cc-ish bike? You won't be able to do any more wringing out of those bikes listed than you can with an RC, more likely even less so. Most of what you have listed will have nearly the same power as the RC51. Maybe a 10hp difference.

If you want something you can really wring the neck of, and if you'll let your ego out of the way, a 250 is the perfect bike for that. Most people discount little bikes before they ever have the chance to ride one in anger.

On to the forks: A well setup (weight, valving, etc) set of forks will almost always outperform a set of bone stock forks.

When you have DK rework your forks, you aren't "updating" the internals, you are replacing them with better quality components. Even if you step up to big piston forks, you'll still have relatively the same quality level of components as the stock RC51, but with a different type of component. Kind of like comparing a well setup damper rod fork with some emulators to a bone stock set of cartridge forks.

If you are asking wether or not you'll have to spend a couple grand to get the same performance out of BPF's vs what you have now? Well that is up to you. I'd go ride a bike with them and see what you think. Some people will swear that every bike needs this or that to be remotely ridable. I was just fine doing mid pack, level 2 trackdays on completely stock RC51 forks, yet some think they need 20 or 30mm cartridge kits to ride on the street.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I agree 100 percent about the little bikes BMiller. It is all about ego. I'm telling you guys, if you want something to wring out on the street without worry, get an older 2 stroke Ape or Honda. My RS50 is one of the funnest bikes i've EVER ridden. It's cheap, i can slide it around corners, its freakin loud as hell (in a 2 stroke way), plenty to upgrade on it, and it still does 80 MPH.

My advice to everyone is a get a RS250 or a 125. Funnest bikes EVER for the street.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
oh and with an RS50, no license, insurance, or registration required. Literally buy it and ride the hell out of it

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode