Unique suspension questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unique suspension questions

Try to refrain from flaming me on this one, but I use my newly acquired RC for a lot of things, and I do a LOT of 2-up riding. I also used the search button. I have adjusted the OEM stuff as best I can from the research I have done and it is not terrible, albeit the rear shock reminds me of my 4 wheeler. I weigh 225-240 according to what time of the year it is, and my Lady weighs about 160. With that being said, and since I do plan on doing track days any time soon, what is a decent recipe for now? I have no problem spending good investment dollars and time to get this bike dialed in over time, but wondering if in my unique situation if I should go aftermarket or not? Input is appreciated, and yes I know this is NOT an ideal 2-up bike but we honestly enjoy riding the RC much more than the Harleys I have owned... Thoughts?

Regards,
Wade McGee
2003 RC51 under construction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Keeping it simple....yes.

You should trash the rear shock for a nice Ohlins, Penske, Elka etc... while doing this send your forks out for new internals and springs. I used http://www.hordpower.com/

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I agree with MadBuyer about upgrading, but it will really only help if you do more serious riding (just my opinion) rather than casual 2-up riding.

I am going to drop the necessary cash to upgrade my suspension, but that is because my plan is to use the bike exclusively on the track.

For day to day...I would leave well enough alone, maybe adjust a few settings and enjoy the extra bank in your pocket...as suspension isn't cheap.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
I agree with MadBuyer about upgrading, but it will really only help if you do more serious riding (just my opinion) rather than casual 2-up riding.

I am going to drop the necessary cash to upgrade my suspension, but that is because my plan is to use the bike exclusively on the track.

For day to day...I would leave well enough alone, maybe adjust a few settings and enjoy the extra bank in your pocket...as suspension isn't cheap.
Yes suspension mods are not cheap but in the scheme of things there is no drawback from doing the mod. Not unlike power mods which can be unreliable or cosmetic mods that are just fluff. Suspension is a 100% return on your investment.

Less drama, means less fatigue which equates to faster times at the track and better enjoyment in the canyons.

I don't do anymore track and the Ohlins rear with a GP Suspension revalve is the bee's knees and in all honesty the best mods for the RC besides a PC.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

It's not as much of a money issue with me, I save my coupons and pennies! Everything I have read says that the RC was built in geometry to be a track bike, but because of regulation the bike was suspended based on a 360-400lb 2-up scenario. If that is the case I am exactly the situation the bike was designed for. Does that make sense? No matter what, with time, I will likely upgrade it all anyway, just wanted to see if I'm thinking about it correctly or not. Mainly is the OEM suspension total dog crap no matter what, or just dog crap because most folks don't weigh 400 pounds?

Regards,
Wade McGee
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

Not quite sure how to answer this^^ as I've always revalved and replaced stock suspension components. Being 175lbs I know that the stock suspension fought me every step of the way when pushed hard in the canyons not sure about smooth track surfaces as I never put my baby on it.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Suspension is a 100% return on your investment.

Less drama, means less fatigue which equates to faster times at the track and better enjoyment in the canyons.

I don't do anymore track and the Ohlins rear with a GP Suspension revalve is the bee's knees and in all honesty the best mods for the RC besides a PC.
I 100% agree...which is why I had buyers remorse on my exhaust, but oh well...suspension will be done over the next few months.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I've had very good results from sending my forks to http://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/ and having them re-spring & re-valve + make a GP shock to match. Quickened the steering and made the ride more comfortable although it's still fairly hard. Quality of their stuff is spot on and it's probably a lot cheaper than going the Ohlins route. Their GP shock is by their own admission - overkill for road use, but it's an item of beautiful work of mechanical art and does work very well off the track too. With a Moriwaki rear link, my side stand needed extending about an inch despite the front being lower and the rear higher. Not hard to extend if you have access to someone who can weld...

I'm not 100% sure as it was a long time ago, but I believe the owner of Nitron suspension used to work for Maxton where he learnt his trade & skills from Ron Williams before starting out on his own. Ron also worked for HRC. He knows his stuff about suspension design.

They will take into account your riding style, weight, roads you ride on, etc. and make something good for you. I have had Maxton suspension on my VFR some 17 years (About to upgrade to RC51 front and probably a new rear shock as the one on there's done a lot of mileage!) and that was set up for 2-up riding. Toured all over Europe and had no trouble scraping the blobs on the pegs - made a huge difference compared to the original soft & wallowy suspension.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 11-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

The Stig, thank you. That is what I was looking for. If I get what I want riding solo and 2-up I will start the upgrade process. Plus...I'm a whore for mods...sorry...

Regards,
Wade McGee
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Alright, now that we have the background out of the way...what do you suggest. I have always ran ELKA offroad. I like the specs on the 40115 Stage 4 shock, thoughts? I have a really good offroad friend that can valve and spring my forks.

Regards,
Wade McGee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode