What are your ride height changes? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Question What are your ride height changes?

I'm looking for feedback on people's ride height choices for the RC51. What I'm talking about is your tire choice (stock 190/50, 190/55, 180/55), adding a shim to the rear shock or adding shock length height to aftermarket rear shocks, and any changes to raise or lower the forks in the triple clamps. Mention your changes if any to ALL three as each on has an effect on the other.

With a good response this can be a useful resource to the forum.

What are you using on your bike. If you have tried various set-ups, please explain what they were, advantages and disadvantages, and why you changed.

I was going to raise my rear shock length/height 3-4 mm over stock, but I'm not sure this is needed with a 190/55 tire as the tire already increased. Information here will help me decide how I set up the bike.

Also read that a 190/55 is about 3/4 inch higher than a 190/50. Can anybody confirm this? That would mean about 8 mm higher in the rear.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I haven't made any measurements and can't now - but my forks are a bit shorter and the rear quite a lot taller. I had to add about an inch to the side stand... No problems with the steering (no damper required - for me, anyways) and considerably faster steering than std.
I like to be able to flick a bike into corners, not to need to gently lean every time. Lots of tight twisty roads in Japan.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Forks are 10 mm above triples 4 threads showing on the ohlins rear with a dk link power one 180-55.

This bike is just perfect the inputs are super light and where I look is where I go...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Whilst i agree that in principle this could be a good resource, in practice there are too many imponderables, there is no substitute for putting the hours in finding what works for you, on your bike.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
Forks are 10 mm above triples 4 threads showing on the ohlins rear with a dk link power one 180-55.

This bike is just perfect the inputs are super light and where I look is where I go...
Is this for a track setup, or street setup? I guess I'm also asking if you would use this setup on only a street bike. I did some quick measuring on my new ohlins rear in the box and if it set to stock height from factory, you are basically showing one thread more than stock, or about 1 mm more. Does that sound correct?

I will be confirming the ohlins shock length to stock when I put it on. Hopefully in the next month to two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansp1 View Post
Whilst i agree that in principle this could be a good resource, in practice there are too many imponderables, there is no substitute for putting the hours in finding what works for you, on your bike.
Even though a single perfect setup does not exist for everyone, it is worthy of discussion and comparisons. Ride height setup isn't black and white but just because it is shades of grey doesn't mean it isn't something worthy of discussing. In fact, it is worthy of more discussion because it is shades of grey. Considering that handling is probably the most important part of a sport bike, ride height changes are one of the most important ways to set up and improve bike handling to personal preference, and it is doesn't cost a cent. This is worthy of far more discussion than many other topics imo.

I posted this to hear about how people have set up their bike, and what specific improvements to the handling it did that they specifically liked. The major considerations in a setup should come out in their post description.

At the very least, with this information I and others can use it as a beginning baseline for changes. Better than starting with a complete shot in the dark.

For a forum where there is so much discussion about how the RC51 needs a better shock, needs fork work, needs gearing changes, needs a 190/55 tire, it is mind boggling that many on the forum don't even bother with ride height changes or take the time to experiment and track their ride height setup. Handling is generally the most important part of riding a sport bike, and ride height changes should be performed and tracked, before adding mods. Unfortunately, this is reality on pretty much any sport bike forum, where people do lots of mods but don't bother with basic handling through ride height adjustments.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 03-01-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Front ride height is standard, rear shock length is standard, Mori link.190/55
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansp1 View Post
Front ride height is standard, rear shock length is standard, Mori link.190/55
street, fast street, or track?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
street, fast street, or track?
Fast street and track
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We had this discussion a while ago and no one knew there set up.
So I will start.
I will put up some numbers of my current setup.
2005 SP2:
Front, SP1 forks, 1K 280mm spring, very short top out spring, traxxion compression and rebound pistons, 7.5wt Silkolene RSF oil.
Rear, Penske, 326mm lenght, with a DK link and 600# spring with 17mm preload.
740mm front fork lenght.
Trail 98.6
430mm swing arm height.
Sag, 30mm front and 25mm rear.
Front 239 lbs, rear 228 lbs
These are static measurements.
Dunlop 211 ntec tires 190/55 in rear and 120/70 in front , soft front and medium rear.
Either street or track. I just need to tighten the sag, compression and rebound for trackdays.

As for the feel. The bike needs to be ridden it does not "fall" into corners but does what ever I want it to do, when I want it to. Great stability on the brakes and in and out of the corners it will slide as need and a backs in comfortably.

Last edited by Hondad; 02-08-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode