New suspension parts came with questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
GWS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
New suspension parts came with questions

I have been on the forum long enough now that you guys have convinced me to upgrade my suspension, and i recently purchased a Ohlins rear shock and a DK link. I assume it is an HO204, but am not sure. I have not put these parts on the bike yet but I wanted to ask a few questions before I do. I don't anticipate any problems putting them on, as I have done this type of thing before, but in reading lots of threads I have seen some confusing information about setting up the shock and bike after these mods. Firstly, I have heard that the DK Link will raise the rear ride height. Is this something that can be compensated for with the Ohlins shock? I run a 190/55, so I don't want to raise it too much and risk tucking the front the next time I go to the track. Along these lines, I was talking with someone who raced RC51's way back and he said that I should raise both the front and back for better handling, and I should get fork extenders to do this. This is not something I have read about on this forum, what do you guys think?

I guess lastly, this is a used shock, what settings should I reset it to? What settings does Kyle Racing recommend with the DK link? I am 182lb when I get out of the shower, what spring do I need with the DK link? Is there a chart I can refer too?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited by GWS; 06-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Here are baseline settings from the manual.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1403897378.156271.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	62713

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I have no idea what spring you need. And it changes with the DK vs stock link. You could call DK and discuss with them all your questions. They also have some of the best prices for springs, fork work, parts, etc.

There are front and rear suspension buying guides in the suspension subforum with info that should be helpful. Read that. Then search the forum for other discussions. You'll find more info digging up what has been discussed already than will ever be posted in this thread. And it's a good start while you wait.

Enjoy the upgrades.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 06-27-2014 at 08:41 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Above all, just email Dan or Mike at Kyle racing and they'll answer any question you have. You'll thank me later.

If you need a spring swap done locally, feel free to hit me up.
I'm just north of the cities.

Last edited by sbkdrew; 06-27-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode