ohlins forks - school me - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
ohlins forks - school me

so poking around a few for sale threads i'm wondering what the differences are between the ohlins forks that are available for the rc? what type of prices do they typically come up at, seems to be anywhere from $1500-$2000? plus, in looking at fork upgrade options there are a number of valving options available from different shops incl the 20mm ohlins from kyle. they all seem to be about that $700 mark.

so i'm thinking about bang for the buck, is it work spending double or more to get the ohlins tubes or does the valving upgrade provide significant improvement that most riders would be happy with?

has anyone here done both, ie valve upgrade first and then moved on to ohlins who can give some feedback on the two?

i'm an agressive street rider and occasional track day rider. learnme here fellas!

Last edited by syncro; 10-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Ever check the forum? Hint, the suspension subforum. A good place to start.

Comparing options qualitatively is fraught with personal biases and judgements. I try to be objective and I've said before that most people don't outride the stock front suspension. But I have full ohlins forks upgraded. Not because I needed them though.

If you're into value, I'd heartily recommend the basic upgrade to the stock forks. As you noted, Dan Kyle has some great options in each category, from basic to full on treatments. And there are other's.

GL

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Ouch, tough crowd today...lol

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I'll be able to give you a comparison pretty soon. Just got my fork legs back from Kyle with Ohlins 20mm valving, new springs, Ohlins fork oil, and seals and bushings. That cost $916 with tax and shipping. They were bone stock before that.
I'll be getting my Ohlins shock back in a few days too, they serviced it and installed a proper spring to accommodate my Mori link. That will cost about $350 (if I remember right).

I'm looking forward to a whole new feel, and better compliancy.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I'll be able to give you a comparison pretty soon. Just got my fork legs back from Kyle with Ohlins 20mm valving, new springs, Ohlins fork oil, and seals and bushings. That cost $916 with tax and shipping. They were bone stock before that.
I'll be getting my Ohlins shock back in a few days too, they serviced it and installed a proper spring to accommodate my Mori link. That will cost about $350 (if I remember right).

I'm looking forward to a whole new feel, and better compliancy.
Exciting times. Looking forward to your report.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks and great write-up kwtoxman - i do recall seeing your thread before but no going all the way through it. it answers a lot of my questions but not all.

specifically the performance/dollar aspect wrt to valve upgrades or ohlins forks. essentially it's about a $1250 difference between a set of used ohlins forks (that may need servicing and hence more $$$) and a valving upgrade which results in a fresh fork. i'd like to get feedback on the benefit of going the extra mile and $$$ to do ohlins forks vs the valving upgrade. i realize that question is a bit subjective, but any feedback would be appreciated.

ps - changed the thread title to better reflect what i'm after.

Last edited by syncro; 10-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I'll be able to give you a comparison pretty soon....

awesome! just the type of input i was looking for in creating this thread.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro View Post
thanks and great write-up kwtoxman - i do recall seeing your thread before but no going all the way through it. it answers a lot of my questions but not all.

specifically the performance/dollar aspect wrt to valve upgrades or ohlins forks. essentially it's about a $1250 difference between a set of used ohlins forks (that may need servicing and hence more $$$) and a valving upgrade which results in a fresh fork. i'd like to get feedback on the benefit of going the extra mile and $$$ to do ohlins forks vs the valving upgrade. i realize that question is a bit subjective, but any feedback would be appreciated.
IMO, asking for personal experience doesn't help much as people are different; in their biases and judgements as well as riding ability. Very few people here track, and much less race or have raced.

Then consider the weight of evidence overall. FWIW, most amateur road racers that I've been around used race-tech for their value in a basic fork upgrade, with great results. Race-tech has a huge amount of race winners and local/regional/national champions under their belt.

As mentioned in the linked thread, the basic upgrade is all that most people need to get the sought-after ride improvement. Only when winning races and pushing the limits does that extra 5 or so percent of performance begin to matter in performance. Though the NIX upgrade have suspension work advantages as mentioned.

Then there is the difference in money between people. Some have lots, others not. It can make a big difference in justifying ohlins forks prices, or the opposite.

The reason most everyone wants the Ohlins forks here is not that they literally need it, it's that they want it. It's always nice to have the best.

All you need to do is decide where you sit in those considerations.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 10-11-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks man, i get what you're saying and expected that. i just wanted to ask because i'm an "every bit of info helps" type of guy.

plus, i've never had a bad time talking about rc upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode