Wierd ride height - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Wierd ride height

While looking at the 2002 RC51 I'm interested in buying, I noticed something strange when comparing it to another RC51 (2004) side by side. Now the 2002 has a Fox TC-R rear shock and Lindemann Engineering reworked forks of some sort. The 2004 has the stock Showa in the rear and almost certain stock forks. They both had the stock wheels with 190/50 rear tires and adequate tire pressure.

Anyways, when the two were sitting side by side the 2002's tail was noticeably lower than the 2004. I didn't have anything to measure exactly, but I'm talking like at least 3 inches! I know the Fox shock is adjustable for right height, but does it have enough range of adjustment to account for that big of a difference?

I ask because I'm concerned that it's more than just a ride height adjustment and that something in the rear suspension has been modified to get it this low. Like lowering links perhaps?

As you moved forward the difference didn't seem to be as extreme, the tank only seemed ~2 inch lower and the front faring something less than that.

Last interesting thing is the 2002, even in its lowered state, had more lean when on the side stand than the 2004. Not sure how that's possible, pretty puzzling and mildly concerning as I plan to get it back to stock and probably then some with the mods I intend to do.

I will be replacing the rear shock with an Ohlins plus Kyle link and the front with the 30mm Ohlins cartridge kit. Other than ride height adjustment, lowering links and amount of front fork protruding from the upper triple clamp, there's nothing else really to look for is there? I just want to make sure I can correct this bike's sad state and get it setup properly without issue. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Here's a picture that shows the forks and how they are positioned in the triple tree. Lowered?

Unfortunately I do not have anything of the rear suspension at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7540.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	90849  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The forks top clamp only looks about 5mm lower on the forks.
The 1st mark is OEM setting. So it's only at the 1st mark down from OEM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the reply and good info to know.

Pretty sure I'm going to purchase this bike and I'm feeling a little more confident that this ridiculous ride height will be corrected with the parts I have.

Really the only other thing it could be is the connecting link/linkage/wishbone or as Honda calls it: ROD SUB-ASSY., SHOCK CONNECTING. Worst case scenario I need to buy one and its only $115.

Next time I see it, I try to see if it differs from the OEM part. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode