I think something is wrong with my forks - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think something is wrong with my forks

A while back I decided to set the suspension to factory. I found both of my forks tension were turned all the way in. I thought the guy I bought it from did this for wheely landings . Riding the bike I have trouble keeping my line through a corner I usually end up wider then I want and if I really push it the bike will start to get wobbly like it wants to straighten out. After reading up on setting up suspension I decided I better check my sag. My rear is good at 31mm but the front is at 45mm I turn in the front tension to 2 lines 38mm, 1 more line 38mm it did change. I'm thinking if I've got to turn them all the way in for the right sag something is not right. The blue fork caps have marks on them so it looks like the forks have been apart. I don't know what to do with thing any Ideas fellas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

I had a situation like that years ago on a customers bike...just a couple of questions:

1. When riding slow does the bike feel like it's weaving?
2. I know you stated but when leaned over does the bike feel like it keeps wanting to straighten up?

If you answered yes then the first thing I would check is the steering head bearings and tire pressure.

Tire pressure is pretty straight forward but as for the bearings, get the front end off the ground. The forks should fall to one side or the other under its own weight, if it doesn't rotate the forks side to side if they are rough feeling or notchy time to replace.

I had the same situation so I thought I would throw it out there.

Keep us posted

Last edited by nobody; 06-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Well Nobody, 1) no, goes straight, 2) yes when leaned over say when I am almost out of a turn. I used to account what I'm feeling toward my lack of riding exprience mabe thats all it is, but I am really starting to think something goofy is going on with the bike. I've got a steering dampner on the bike. I'll check my head bearings like you described with the dampner off. I didn't think of doing it that way. I have done the hold the brake and rock back and forth and the head bearings seemed cool.

Thanks for the advice

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned

No worries one other thing...the steering damper too stiff? Can possibly create the same symptoms as too tight bearing? Grasping but you never know?

Before you try what I said remove the damper and test ride...I always start with the simplest things first.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
No worries one other thing...the steering damper too stiff? Can possibly create the same symptoms as too tight bearing? Grasping but you never know?

Before you try what I said remove the damper and test ride...I always start with the simplest things first.
+1 i had a GPR on my zx10r in the past and set it on 1 , thats all it needed , just because it mite have 8 or more settings , does not mean you will ever use them , great point

• Penske triple adjustable shock Moriwaki linkage
  • forks , valves , springs ,top-out mod
  • Moriwaki rearsets
  • Carbon Airbox heatshielding custom K&N panel filter
  • Power Commander USB
  • Galfer superbike full foating rotors - SS braided lines
  • Brembo 19 RCS Adjustable Ratio Radial Brake Master Cylinder
  • DID 520 gold chain
  • CRG folding clutch lever
  • Relocated battery Shortened wiring harness
  • Flapper PAIR EVAP removed
  • Soft Rev limiter removed
  • 15/41 gears 520
  • Vortex clip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode