Need help deciphering numbers. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Need help deciphering numbers.

I'm ready to change the oil in my forks. I reading the manual for SP1, and don't understand these numbers. Picture below.

Is Motul 5w to light?

All I want to do, since my seals dont leak, is change the fluid and see how it acts. Then maybe springs and valving, but that's for later. I just want to see how the factory set-up will work with fresh oil. I chose 5w at the recommendation of Robert at WestCoastMotors in Citrus Heights. Does that sound right to you guys? I'm about 185 lbs. with gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	3214  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I just found this chart which shows Honda Suspension Fluid SS-8 to be 10w...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...pdf_3119_1.pdf

Check out this cross referance it calls for 10W

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
5 W is a bit too light for the street unless you are going to change it every year.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugbug View Post
http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...pdf_3119_1.pdf

Check out this cross referance it calls for 10W
Thanks mugbug, I figured that out already with the chart I linked in the post directly before yours. In fact, your chart is the same one I linked. Thanks anyway, appreciate you looking out.

What I need is to know is what those capacity numbers mean from the picture I put up. In english.
b.miller, SubSailor, LDH, Makis, anyone else, help help? Madbuyer, you once pm'ed me some numbers but I lost them. Doooohhh...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 07-16-2012 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just volumes of fluid
513cm(cubed) = 513ml = .513 liters -OR-
xxx oz (ounces) -OR-
xxx imp oz (Imperial Ounces)

However it's measured on the bottle

the +/- is just a variable, shoot for the first number... little more... little less
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Thanks mugbug, I figured that out already with the chart I linked in the post directly before yours. In fact, your chart is the same one I linked. Thanks anyway, appreciate you looking out.

What I need is to know is what those capacity numbers mean from the picture I put up. In english.
b.miller, SubSailor, LDH, Makis, anyone else, help help? Madbuyer, you once pm'ed me some numbers but I lost them. Doooohhh...
It's no harm substituting 5wt for 10wt oil.
The lighter weight oil (actually, less viscosity) will flow through the valve orifices a bit easier than 10wt and may make the high speed damping a bit less harsh.
You can also mix the two 50/50 (for 7.5wt) to try as well.

The SP1 forks are slightly longer than SP2 forks, hence the larger amount of oil.
More accurately, in the service manual the oil level is 135mm without spring installed, and the fork tube fully compressed.

The oil level has no effect on damping. Only the air spring effect (from trapped air inside) when the suspension is near full compression.
If your forks are stock and have the oil lock piece still installed, the forks will compress until the oil lock is reached, and then the forks will hit hydraulic lock to stop their travel.

If your forks have been re-worked with the oil lock piece removed, then the air spring is the limit to the forks travel.
The oil level is then adjusted to add enough trapped air inside to act as the cushion to fork travel.
The center that performs the fork modifications usually provides a recommended oil level. Usually around 120mm without springs installed and fork fully compressed.

If the bike is used for track days or racing where you find the forks are bottoming out or near bottoming out (and the spring rate is correct for your weight), then the oil level can be raised slightly to increase the air spring amount to prevent the forks from compressing too far.

Last edited by SubSailor; 07-16-2012 at 10:01 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SubSailor, that helps now that I've taken it apart.

I got the fork legs off and took one apart. I just got to the part of removing the spring and pouring out the oil. Almost all of it came out, the last bit I grabbed the fork damper and pumped it out. That's where I stopped. 475ml came out, about 17 oz.
I don't have a fork damper holder to go into it further, so I was planning to put in the new oil, put it back together and see if it makes a difference. The service limit is 450.5 ml on the spring, mine measured 454.0.

Quote:
If your forks are stock and have the oil lock piece still installed, the forks will compress until the oil lock is reached, and then the forks will hit hydraulic lock to stop their travel.
I didn't plan on going in that far actually. I just wanted to change the oil myself to see if that would improve it. So i donít really know if the oem oil lock piece is in or not.
I'm thinking it'll be a change for the better with fresh oil, and the lighter weight, like you said SubSailor, will flow through the valving a little faster.
I've felt it compress and feel like it's bottomed out, but only at slow speeds, and my ziptie wraps have never hit the bottom of the leg/axleholder. I don't ever feel that at higher speed or when taking a lot of turns.

Is there anything else I should so before i put it back together with the new oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 005.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	3215   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 008.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	3216   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 009.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3217  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
just volumes of fluid
513cm(cubed) = 513ml = .513 liters -OR-
xxx oz (ounces) -OR-
xxx imp oz (Imperial Ounces)

However it's measured on the bottle

the +/- is just a variable, shoot for the first number... little more... little less
Ah ha, 513ml is the number! Since about 475ml is what came out, that makes sense. Thanks.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I'm ready to change the oil in my forks. I reading the manual for SP1, and don't understand these numbers. Picture below.

Is Motul 5w to light?

All I want to do, since my seals dont leak, is change the fluid and see how it acts. Then maybe springs and valving, but that's for later. I just want to see how the factory set-up will work with fresh oil. I chose 5w at the recommendation of Robert at WestCoastMotors in Citrus Heights. Does that sound right to you guys? I'm about 185 lbs. with gear.
1) You get yourself something like this

that it measures up to 500ml (half a liter).

2) Take off the top nut of the suspension like the manual says. Pump it up side down so that is spits all the old oil in a pan

3) At this point, I use clear gazoline (not fuel like, more like stain cleaner for pants like) to wash the tubes inside.

It does NOT harm the oil seals or any other rubber part inside. Guarantied.....Then again, you can choose your own cleaner, you're comfortable with.
All that matters is to get the "mudy" stuff out of the forks (if any).
You pour it inside each fork and pump it so that the cleaner can go through the hydraulic holes and clean everything. Then discard it. It evaporates very fast, that is why it doesn't damage anything inside the fork.

4) Your bike is SP1 so you will follow the '00-'01 dose in the manual (longer tubes than SP2)
You measure 500ml and you pour it in the tube. Then you measure 15ml and pour it in the same tube and your done.
The manual says 513 plus/minus 2.5ml and that's because the oil's volume changes with the temperature's variations. I would make sure that the oil is stored at 20 deg. Celsius the last 24 hours before measurement and I would use 515 in each fork. That amount of oil is just fine for a commuter, all rounder bike.

My oil choice would be (in preference order):
1) Ohlins

2) White Power

3) Bel Ray Fork oil

I've also heard really nice feedback on this fork oil

However, no matter the brand, I would go for a 7W SAE oil because where I live we have smooth winter conditions and very hot summers. If that's your case too then Madbuyer is right you know. The 5W is too thin for a commuter bike and you will have to change it again next spring.

In my RC right now, I have used Bel Ray 7W fork oil and it is almost 3 years that I replaced it. An my suspension still work fine (not 100% though but it covers my needs). I am planing to change them next winter with Ohlins 7W along with fork springs set.

My ÷hlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode