Resprung for my weight but now I'm lighter. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Resprung for my weight but now I'm lighter.

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with throat cancer back in January and with surgery and radiation treatments I've lost a lot of weight. I'm hovering pretty steadily at 205lbs now. Problem is that I had my bike resprung two months ago front and rear and the shop set it up for a rider weight of 220lbs without gear, or about 240 with. Is that 15lb difference going to be too much to overcome with the on bike adjustments or will I be OK where I'm at.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Question. How did you know you had throat cancer? Like symptom wise. I chewed tobacco for 10 years that's why I'm asking and always have a sore neck. I'm pretty sure your suspension can just be adjusted by preload and comp adjustments. Just redo your sag.

2006 RC 51 #00064
2008 HD 1200XLN Blacked Out
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
2014 Great Dane that drags me down the street
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I smoked for about a year when I was in the Navy, but that was many years ago. In my case, I had a lymph node in the left side of my neck that began to swell. I had no pain or other symptoms. During my surgery, they removed a lot of tissue and lymph nodes from the left side of my neck. They also took my tonsils out to ensure there was nothing hiding behind those.

Once I recovered I began to travel for business so I've only ridden the RC a few times since having the suspension work done. The shop asked me to put some miles on then return for sag setting so I'm curious to see how that works out now that I've lost more weight. Last time I was on it the ride felt pretty nice but I've not had the opportunity to do a trackday yet and don't think I'll be able to before the weather starts to turn.

Mike

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
If your suspension was setup PROPERLY for 240# in gear and you lost 15# then you can very likely reset your sag numbers with what you have.

If they set you up initially on the far end of the spring rate then maybe not.

How much preload did you have to dial in to get the sag set when you were at 240?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
If your suspension was setup PROPERLY for 240# in gear and you lost 15# then you can very likely reset your sag numbers with what you have.

If they set you up initially on the far end of the spring rate then maybe not.

How much preload did you have to dial in to get the sag set when you were at 240?
That's the thing, we haven't set sag yet. The techs at the shop wanted me to ride it for a bit then come back to set sag. I guess when I return to do that I'll have the answer to my question. If we can't set sag then I'll know I need to eat a cheeseburger.

Mike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mcoomer,
I feel your pain, in a way. Drove myself to hospital a year ago and ended up, 3 strokes later down from 190lbs to 165lbs. It's called the Stroke Diet at work!
Glad you're back riding again and I'm following this carefully as I've pretty much been around 180-190lbs throughout my riding life so I've never thought to much about changing settings but on fairly bad Florida roads, my weight change has pretty drastically changed the ride.

2002 RC51 SP2
2003 RC51 SP2
BMW E46 M3 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode