Rear Shock Upgrades for those that don't want mediocrity - Page 14 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 162 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver_larry View Post
Wib, your bike is SOOOO gaudy!
+1 Probably my favorite RC...

2001 BMW R1150S Project Bike
2004 BMW R1150SR Project Touring Bike (in-work)
2005 Honda RC-51 SP-2 - future track tool
2014 Ducati HyperProject (Hyperstrada)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
While upgrading tot the TTX would be pretty cool it's a bit out of my budget right now. Is there a way to upgrade the 46 prcxl at all?
post #133 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTopp View Post
While upgrading tot the TTX would be pretty cool it's a bit out of my budget right now. Is there a way to upgrade the 46 prcxl at all?
I'm sure with enough time & testing you certainly could improve on the 46 somewhat, but the end result would likely be less than the sum of the parts & testing time you put into it. You are simply working with dated shock designs... 5 generations of TTX development have lead to a much better performing shock. Honestly if I had not experienced it back to back for myself I would never believe the difference in performance. It's the biggest step up I have ever felt in shock performance. Over a decade ago I tested the then brand spanking new TTX shock for the 1000RR against a VERY competitive S46 Race Shock (& the SHOWA Race Shock as well) and wasn't as impressed then as I am now with what this shock has done for the RC51.

The Hysteresis is almost non-existent so the response time of the shock is so much better than the 46 Series. With the TTX-GP shock I was getting on the gas way before the APEX at high lean angles and I am not talking about maintenance throttle, I was getting big handfuls of it and the bike was just hooking up and driving out instead of that dreaded wiggle and loss of traction most of us have experienced on an RC51 when trying to put the spurs to it while leaned over. Big literbikes are mostly picking up the throttle after the APEX allowing me to crawl right up their ass on the exit of the turn and while they would easily put bike lengths on me on the straights at Buttonwillow I was still keeping close enough to be right on their ass going into the next turn on the brakes. There is just more gription available with the TTX-GP there is no doubt about it.

My wife & I were supposed to go ride this weekend as just normal attendees at Buttonwillow and I was planning to take the RC, but I have been asked to do Suspension at the event instead. The next test report will just have to wait a bit longer as I seem to end up working a lot more than riding nowadays, but I need the money.
CapeCodderRC likes this.

post #134 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
There is just more gription available with the TTX-GP there is no doubt about it.
Gription? I LOVE that!

2000 RC #001201
2014 Duc MultiStrada
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition
post #135 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
Gription? I LOVE that!
I'd LOVE to be able to take credit for that, but I didn't think it up.
Trace likes this.
post #136 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Sorry, newb here. I just bought a beautiful 2005 RC 51. Of course, I'm looking at rear shocks and while I see the older model available I'm seeing all kinds of talk about this TTX GP model. I haven't seen anyone say that TTX GP model's ready but I see it available for sale online, for example at motosport.com (EDIT: it looks like after emailing them they corrected the fitment). One other question is that the older model seems available for less than $1000 while the new one is about $400 more. I don't ride on the track. I'm wondering if you guys think I should just bite the bullet and buy the newer one anyway. Just to clarify I first heard about the TTXGP shock over at RC51.org.

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-11-2018 at 04:43 PM.
post #137 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
If you have your heart set on Ohlins, I honestly doubt you'll be disappointed in either and will probably have trouble telling TTX is better, regretfully few can tell the difference...

2001 BMW R1150S Project Bike
2004 BMW R1150SR Project Touring Bike (in-work)
2005 Honda RC-51 SP-2 - future track tool
2014 Ducati HyperProject (Hyperstrada)
post #138 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:35 PM

Admittedly I'm no expert but on the last two bikes I've owned there was a very noticeable difference with upgraded shocks. One Ohlins and one custom valved and rebuilt by Daugherty Motorsports. And I'm definitely one of those people who realizes that years down the road you'll never care about the extra money you spend for the best. But often when you get the cheaper option you wonder what you're missing.
Trace likes this.
post #139 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM

So, I'm a bit confused. Is this just the wrong thread? LDH was talking about developing the TTX GP shock over a year ago and this has all gone dark. So confused.
post #140 of 162 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I hand built a few of them and then other things have taken priority. I am going to check on doing an actual production run in Sweden as I don't really have time to build more of them and doing them from donor shocks is quite a bit more expensive than if I have them built in the factory. If this comes to fruition it will likely be a one time deal.
CapeCodderRC and DaveJB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode