New Matris shock for my SP2 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
New Matris shock for my SP2

My new shock arrived today...
The Matris "R" spec shock is simply a work of art. The engineering is superb. Tight tolerances. Extremely low friction coatings. Every adjustment you could ask for....
The ultimate though has to be the customisation for the individual. You order the shock....they spring and valve each unit to your requirements.
They aren't cheap, but given that I will keep my bike for a long, long time....I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matris 1.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	113273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matris 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	113281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matris 3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	113289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matris 4.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	113297  
JB's_SP3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Looks very nice. Can i ask how much? was it shipped from Italy or was it available to you locally? I looked into buying it for the SP1 as my next upgrade its about 1200 euros....
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Vnaik
They are around that price. Mine came direct from Italy. There may well be a dealer close by for you. I was first introduced to the product at WSBK and developed an interest since then. The Italians are wonderful artisans.....no concept of time...but wonderful artisans.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Slooow View Post
Vnaik
They are around that price. Mine came direct from Italy. There may well be a dealer close by for you. I was first introduced to the product at WSBK and developed an interest since then. The Italians are wonderful artisans.....no concept of time...but wonderful artisans.
Good stuff man. Please do update how easy/difficult the install was. About the italians not so sure about the artisan bit bro i have a fucking ducati and it's a piece of shit compared to Japanese bikes that i have owned in the past fifteen years. Quality if poor and also assembly is poor. But i have read good reviews about Martis...time will tell.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

I hear you. The Ducatis leave you shaking your head. You can look at their bikes and think..."a couple of bolts and the shock will come straight out". 20 mins and several bolts later you are still trying to get the shock out.
This thing will bolt straight in. You just have to hold it in your hand to know you have something special.
I have long said that Honda made the best Ducati ever.....and nothing has changed. Keep your 1299 Panagale....I'll take the SP2 thanks.

If you are keen to pull the trigger on one of these let me know. I should be able to put you in touch with the guys directly and save you some coin.
JB's_SP3 and asilven2334 like this.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
i'm just curious about the "tight tolerances" comment.

which tolerances?
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
i'm just curious about the "tight tolerances" comment.

which tolerances?
The critical ones....
Piston to body
Seal head to shaft
Bearings etc..
When you are dealing with any telescopic device, performance will be improved by elimating / reducing lateral movement.
Binding or friction dramatically hampers suspension capability.
Springs and damping are completely tunable / replacable. The friction component will come down to the base engineering of the item.
By starting from a better base, ultimately the potential is improved.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i have the steering damper from this company for my Rc51 .. its pretty damn nice! and expensive. so im guess the same goes for there rear shock??

Full Akrapovic Ti exhaust , PC5 , Corbin seat , T1 airbox , Russell steel braided lines , Matris steering damper , Brembo RCS 19, Pair mod , Flapper mod , Soft rev mod, 15/41 gears, EBC xc front rotors, Tuned by Dyno Solutions.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Slooow View Post
The critical ones....
Piston to body
Seal head to shaft
Bearings etc..
When you are dealing with any telescopic device, performance will be improved by elimating / reducing lateral movement.
Binding or friction dramatically hampers suspension capability.
Springs and damping are completely tunable / replacable. The friction component will come down to the base engineering of the item.
By starting from a better base, ultimately the potential is improved.

so what are the tolerances? did you get them from the manufacturer? how do they compare with others?
sbkdrew and Trace like this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Wibbly
I really don't care for what a manufacturer tells you. They tend to write what looks good on brochures.
The easiest comparison is a side load test. This is done to measure both static and dynamic friction. We do these regularly
A simple test that you could replicate would be to clamp the body of a springless shock and move the shaft from side to side. I am guessing however that you are not so much interested in trying this yourself.
As I mentioned before... You just have to be in front of one of these things to admire the workmanship. Then again perhaps I look at things differently to yourself. Possibly a little more extreme.
Unwanted movement is eliminated from our bikes at every avenue. We machine our own bearing pins to eliminate play in linkages, swingarms etc.
We machine bush lands on fork tubes to reduce side loads on the front end. Next time you ride your bike, take note....The small unseen bumps that are in the road surface don't seem to bother you that much when you are upright. Banked over however the bumps appear much worse. Imagine yourself at 160 mph having to deal with this. Its pretty damn important.
JB's_SP3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode