RC51 Forums banner

New RC51 owner in Phoenix

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Danoh1 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
First RC51 but my 21st bike. I own my own shop in Phoenix, AZ and am a year round rider. Finally found a comfortable bike since being hit from behind by a drunk driver at 120mph. I am in LOVE with my RC.
Picked it up for 3600. Has a full Sato exhaust and 20k miles. Its in beautiful condition.
Time to do some mods!

#4 ·
120 mph accident? Yikes, glad you are in one piece.

And did you say comfortable...? That is one word I would not use to describe the bike, haha. But they are awesome. Congratulations on picking one up.

You should upload some pictures after 10 posts. The natives get restless.

#8 ·
Welcome.
Comfortable like a pretzel.
What rearsets do you have?
Start searching for cooling mods. These piggy's get hot when it's over 100F outside. Heat radiates from the frame I've noticed.
I'd suggest looking into spal pusher fans, and an integrated switch.

Cheers!

#9 ·
Ill be looking into cooling come early March. But I plan to run at least water wetter and upgrade the fans. Right now Im focusing on the exhaust leak from the Sato exhaust. Idiot previous owner didn't put the system on right and its a little louder than it should be.

#10 ·
Welcome aboard! Your accident sounds terrible! Glad to see you're back in the game. Post some pics of your beauty when you get a chance.

#11 ·
The accident was pretty harsh. Destroyed my ZX10r that I had just finished building a few hours before. It was the first time riding it after buying it. (Needed a new seal kit for side cover and timing cover gaskets. New fork seals and new tires. I also put new chain, pads, rotors, exhaust and LED lights.)
A drunk motorcyclist hit me from behind at 120-130mph. I was going 75. My wife was on her GSXR and saw the whole thing happened. Turns out she thought the other dude was me (we both had green Kawis.) When she ran up she saw it wasn't me, kicked him in the head and said "oh its you, fuck you ass." This is how I know she loves me.
I don't remember much of the crash. I remember my helmet flying off and I initially slammed into the asphalt and then a close up of what pavement looks like at a high rate of speed. Ill include pictures of my beautiful RC51 and the wreck. Plus the non-traumatizing photo of some of my injuries. I've got a 2 foot skin graft on my knee. A broken heel, sprained ankle, broken finger, 3rd degree burn road rash on my arms, face and back AND random dizziness.

My bike is the one missing a subframe and the exhaust where my ass should be...(phrasing)

There's just some of the damage. I'll spare you the seriously nasty stuff!

And onto the RC...mmmm

#13 ·
Whoa. Glad you made it out of that situation.

I have to give you and all the other guys who have gone down out on the street credit for getting back on motorcycles. If I had an off like that, I don't know if I would continue to ride bikes.

#18 ·
Welcome Drrty, glad you came away from that pretty well considering. Used to do lots of riding around Phoenix on my old Dyna, should be waaaaaaay better in them hills and outer reaches on the SP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.