RC51 Forums banner

30 MM Ohlins cartridge kit

12K views 58 replies 13 participants last post by  Plwtwo 
#1 ·
Anybody do the upgrade yet? Remarks? I know anything DK touches turns to gold but just wondering if it's worth the extra $$$$. Pulling the forks next week, and I'm still on the fence.

#2 ·
I'm damn serious about it...just curious why you're on the fence? I think I sorta spelled it out in another post.

Ohlins forks go for around $1600/$2300 used if you can find some, those are two different types of forks the latter the older with 20mm imternals. For the other a set went for on 'Zilla for about $2300 and I think they are the 25mm cartridges.

Gotta factor in a minimum of an oil refresh and the price of you used forks are about the price of the 30mm cart kit. I was told you will not need to upgrade the forks.

Now you have some serious Ohlins internals the only thing is they don't say is Ohlins...as soon as I have my slush fund back on track the 30mm kit will be done.

#4 ·
+ 1 for the 30mm kit. I almost picked up a set of used Ohlins. But.... Carefully considering things and chatting up quite a few people, I am going with the 30mm nix kit myself as well come January/Feb, hell just pit an ohlins sticker on them:D:rolleyes:, and the fork top caps look cool too, and they say ohlins on em as well:rolleyes:.

#5 ·
It's just a no "brainer" for me...I want the performance hell I'll spend the money on true Ohlins but even the last set of Ohlins that were available for our bikes was only the 25mm kit.

I'm really liking the idea of the separate rebound and compression on either fork leg. Apparently it makes setup that much easier to dial in.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=ohlins+cartridge+fork+kits

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Racing/Cartridge-kit/NIX-30mm-Cartridge-kit/

http://www.ohlins.se/Checkpoint-Ohlins/Performance/The-Ultimate-Front-Fork-Performance-Booster/

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product...486.qscstrfrnt06?productId=689&categoryId=148

The price is right and a little DK magic and I think coupled with the rear Ohlins you have yourself a very sorted out RC...just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
It's just a no "brainer" for me...I want the performance hell I'll spend the money on true Ohlins but even the last set of Ohlins that were available for our bikes was only the 25mm kit.
To repeat , what I was told 8yrs ago, by a senior member-off RougeRC51....
""90% of the RC51 riders will never be skilled enough to use, the OEM suspension to there limits.. when you upgrade the internals, do Ohllin internal componets or Ohlins cartridges"""..
That member -was a DK front man. and has never directed me wrong..

#18 ·
Everyone talks about reaching the limit of the oem suspension

Is it the fact that the ohlins get you past the limit of the oem or is it that it does what the oem does better?

I come from a vfr forum where the sp2 upgrade is the handling holy grail. Here people talk about the stock suspension like they wouldn't throw it away in their own trash can for fear the neighbors might see them

#19 ·
I think the Ohlins does the job better. Don't get me wrong the oem is great setup. Better then what my 600 zxr has. And that's where I sit on the fence. The oem can complete the job and then some. The ohlins is just more efficient.

#20 ·
Well from past experience and everything I've ever come across regarding 99% of all stock suspensions be it literature, word of mouth or just plain riding (I've ridden a lot of different bikes, brands and styles) the end result is pretty much always the same...stock suspensions are about compromise.

They are designed to try to accommodate a wide variety of people from small, average and large. They compromise the suspension by trying to accommodate a passenger and to be honest its all boils down to cost. The major manufactures do not put top shelf components on most of their bikes for one reason, the average person will not pay it.

Most guys that I know that race jettison the oem suspension stuff first. Install some sort of a aftermarket bits that are designed to handle what's thrown at them with the oem stuff its always a compromise.

Rugid as an average track day guy are you happy with the oem? If you are then why spend the money? But my question is are you very confident with your setup?

If you're not then a revamp is in order...I was quoted about $900 for the 20mm cart kit installed and that's by a local shop here in town (everyone local swears by them but no real credentials) and honestly I could do it myself and save the labour, but if I couldn't that's $900.

So maybe a year down the road you're still out on the track getting better and your thoughts turn to upgrading your suspension AGAIN. What to do?

Well if you would have taken that $900 doubled that what do you have? Top shelf Ohlins imternals that you will not need to upgrade, massaged by DK.

One thing you have to remember is these 30mm kits are readily available but if you look on any site selling these...not one listing for our beloved RC.

Why? Because they are a relic in Sportbike land and having someone with enough knowledge to install, set up and massage them to work with our bikes is a godsend. I could purchase a kit try to install it but from what I gather they are not a straight drop in for our bikes. That's the DK magic.

I know I'm rambling and I've probably restated a lot of what I've already said before...but GOOD quality stuff for our bikes are diminishing just look at the junk on eBay, nothing but knock off Taiwanese/Chinese levers, spike windshield bolts and crap faux carbon mirrors.

There is no one local that I know of that could install these and make them work that I would trust, I personally love the fact that LDH is still supporting our bike and has given us another jewel. Maybe even warranty? And or technical support...don't think you will get that from eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

#46 · (Edited)
stock suspensions are about compromise.
This I disagree with regarding the RC. Remember the bike was designed to win races first, then put into production to comply with rules.

Rugid as an average track day guy are you happy with the oem? If you are then why spend the money? But my question is are you very confident with your setup? QUOTE]

No I'm not happy with oem. I've had more then one time when under hard braking for a carousel the front dive and get a bit hairy on me.

If you're not then a revamp is in order
I was about to send the oem's off to DK to rebuild and spring before I thought why spend $$$ when in a year then go the 30mm route

So maybe a year down the road you're still out on the track getting better and your thoughts turn to upgrading your suspension AGAIN. What to do?

Well if you would have taken that $900 doubled that what do you have? Top shelf Ohlins internals that you will not need to upgrade, massaged by DK.QUOTE]

Stole the words right from my mouth.;)

One thing you have to remember is these 30mm kits are readily available but if you look on any site selling these...not one listing for our beloved RC.

Why? Because they are a relic in Sportbike land and having someone with enough knowledge to install, set up and massage them to work with our bikes is a godsend. I could purchase a kit try to install it but from what I gather they are not a straight drop in for our bikes. That's the DK magic.QUOTE]

Definitely do not disagree with you there.
QUOTE]

I love the passion this thread has started. I had no idea it would. And thanks everyone for their input on this matter. I have finally made my mind up. My wallet is going to be abit lighter, but the grin on my face will make up for as I enter my first corner.

#21 ·
I understand the compromise the oe makes when designing the suspension but can't the oe be setup to your weight for 250-300? Is the ohlins 5x better than oe setup for the riders weight? And will you get past "the limit" of the oe and require the ohlins?

For the track day guy/ street rider is it really worth the added benefit? A lot of you guys have enough money in suspension to buy another really decent track bike...

#22 ·
I don't know how to answer that...maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can chime in. All I know is that any bike I've had ALWAYS benefited from a suspension upgrade, night and day.

As for some of us that have enough money invested in the suspension to buy another track bike...sure some of them could and some probably do.

But I think its more of a love than anything else.

Regardless of what bike I owned I'd be doing the same thing, so why not the RC? I've said it before I know it's old and underpowered but I love it. The bike fits me and I'm keeping it. I have other bikes but they just don't give the same feeling.

So if I'm going to drop cash on something may as well be on my beloved SP2 and when I do drop money on it it's always about making the bike perform the way I want...

#28 ·
I doubt anyone on this forum can really extract all the performance out of this bike in oem spec Set up correctly. That being said im sure the hardcore track guys on this forum would still feel the benefits of the upgraded suspension. doubt i could really even tell the difference. Fresh oil, sprung to your weight and a proper set up will be more than we need. Im sure a lot of you are plenty faster then i am but world class racers requiring that extra 1/10 of second a lap, i think not. Even the fastest guy on here is a slouch compared to the pro. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
I totally disagree the "FEEL" of the machine is WAAAAAY WAAAY important to me and at any speed/terrain and having the compliance and "CONFIDENCE" only a top teir suspension can provide is "TANTAMOUNT":D

The range of comfortable riding is also a benifit along with added bandwidth for the brain,knowing that manhole will buck you and holding-on for it is terrible the ohlins well sorted makes this a thing of the past...just ride two rc's back to back stock and sorted anywhere at any speed you will be amazed :)

#34 ·
I gotta agree with wingnutt, I had the opportunity to ride 3 RC's this year back to back.

One stock, mine with an Ohlins rear and revalved resprung forks, and a full Ohlins front and rear, absolutely night and day.

Mine was definitely heads above the stock set up but lacking in feedback (the forks) compared to the Ohlins.

Honestly if all you're doing is putting around the city maybe doing some two up the stock suspension is fine. But everyone can benefit from a suspension that is compliant, firm, supple and predictable.

If it helps you focus and helps keep the rubber side down that's just a win win situation.

#36 ·
Well i have no experiance with ohlins. I just know i have never had a moment with my stockers. Im no expert but my chicken stripes are also gone. So maybe i need to ride a full ohlins front/rear to make a educated decision. LDH, coming to hearland park ever?? ;)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#40 · (Edited)
Here's the real deal with suspension if the bike is compliant and doing what it is supposed to underneath you then you get to ride faster with less drama. If you aren't worried about how the bike is going to react to those ripples in the braking zone of your favorite corner or how the bike is going to wobble when the front goes light then you can concentrate on body position and throttle managment or hitting those perfect apexes or even just enjoying the scenery along the way if that is your thing rather than diverting your focus to the bikes handling issues.

It does not matter if you are a novice rider on your first bike or a pro racer at the world level, better suspension benefits every rider. In my opinion the real key to improving the suspension is not the difference in what you feel, but what you don't. Sure you get increased feedback out of it, but not everyone is pushing to the limit to need that kind of sensory perception, but everyone can enjoy a smoother more compliant ride with more grip right?

Ultimately what you are purchasing for your bike when you buy quality suspension components tuned to your weight and riding style is a greater margin of error and a larger margin of safety.

Funny enough I grew up in KC or actually a small town between Smithville and St Joe.

#43 ·
not really... thats actually why im going to the track. too many long straight roads around here! this town is so small to begin with and any direction you go is straight countryish/farmish backroads. there isnt much around us besides roads you would have to carry triple digit speed to have fun on. :mad:

#45 ·
I had the top out spring mod done and stock forks rebuilt and sprung to my weight and that worked out perfect for me. (Yes, I ride fairly aggressive too) $600 is easier on the pocket and I for one was impressed by the vast improvement.

Upgrade in moderation at first....some folks by Ohlins and have no idea why, other that this site promotes Ohlins as a great upgrade. (Which I agree:D)

#50 ·
All I have ever wanted in any discussion is the truth or at the very least a plausible expectation of it. That is why RC51.org exists. What most threads degenerate into is hearsay and conjecture from guys that have no real experience of their own and make up facts based on what they read or heard from someone. That is where people go wrong in my opinion.

I get accused of being biased towards Ohlins because I sell them, but the truth is as a test rider I have been exposed to all the different brands long before I got into the business of selling & tuning Ohlins. I went on a path for a product that I feel is the best possible combination of value and performance. I don't want to sell a product that is subject to being inferior as I do not want to have to deal with people that need constant attention to get their suspension set-up or working properly. When I sell an Ohlins product I know it is going to be correct right out of the box and all they have to do is bolt it on, set the sag and go ride the piss outta it! It does not take a suspension tuner standing by trackside to get them dialed in and that is the beauty of Ohlins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.