RC51 Forums banner

Lets ride Central and Northern CA

6K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  racer_rr 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread where we can post up plans for rides and invites in Central and Northern CA.
Or post up pics and details of your last great ride.

I'd love to get a ride organized for Hwy 36, Red Bluff to Fortuna. Next summer that is, I don't see me trying it this late in the fall. Lol

This is my second long ride after finally getting my bike back on the road. Weather has been perfect the last two weekends.

https://goo.gl/maps/CpA4icjcxNv

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm going to be riding the area of Lake Berryessa and Calistoga this Sunday 4/28 with a small group. If anyone here would like to join, please do!
My buddy Rick will also be representing with his RC51, and with some luck, maybe Jerry will be riding his too. Sure would be cool if a couple more of you guys could show up.
We normally meet in Winters. But depending on your locale, you can join at any point. (Details of which roads are coming in a day or two)
Not sure of the meet time, but I will post that in the next day or two as well.
Come and join us, it should be a great day!

#6 ·
You going to ride 128 out of Winters past the dam to Moscowite Corner? I could join you guys there or turtle rock. Coming from Vacaville but I backtrack to Fairfield and take Wooden Valley to the Lake. What time you think you would be at the corner or turle rock?

#10 ·
I'm a definite maybe Jondog. Will be a last minute yay, or nay. Sure sounds like fun!
Talked to one of the Sunday group last night, turns out Rick and his RC51 won't be coming after all.
Jerry is riding his new CBR (and is ridiculous fast!)not his RC51.
btw, I'm not ridiculous fast, and always stay in my limits. Just sayn...

So... It's up to us to represent. Sure hope to see you guys Sunday. :)

#9 ·
I'm a definite maybe Jondog. Will be a last minute yay, or nay. Sure sounds like fun!

Reactions: jondog9
#11 ·
Damn, I just checked out the link you posted back in October, with the ride you went on. That's a decent one for sure! Did a 300 mile ride a couple years ago with some guys. Went over the Sonora Pass, down 49 through Angels Camp, and a bunch of other mining towns. I was whipped after that day! Strange thing, less than a week after we rode through there, Angels Camp area had a fire break out. Next ride we took was the Berryessa Romp. Week later or so, Berryessa was on fire! I know Berryessa seems to burn every year just about. It was a strange coincidence though!

Reactions: jondog9
#13 ·
Here's the latest info I got from one of the Sunday group.
8:30 - Meet at Putah Creek Cafe - 1 Main St., Winters CA 95694 - for breakfast.
9:30 - Leave winters, head for Turtle Rock. I'm guessing that puts us at Turtle Rock around 10:15?
Stop for lunch in Calistoga.

From there, I don't really know the exact route, but the others are very familiar with this area. I've ridden all those roads a couple times, but don't remember them so well.
There will be 3 other riders in my party, Scott, Jerry, and Tim. They all ride CBR1000's. The other RC51 dropped out. I'm the lone RC51 this time. So I hope you guys can make it, lets represent the 'old school'.

#14 ·
One loop I used to do to Calistoga, from Turtle Rock cafe follow 128 thru Sage Canyon to Lake Hennesey, right turn on Chiles Pope Valley Road to Pope Valley and take left fork up to Angwin (chevron station there) down to Napa Valley, right turn onto Silverado Trail to Calistoga. Can backtrack or continue to 29 over mountain to Middletown. Lunch possible here. Back towards Berryessa thru Butts Canyon, Pope Valley and end at Turtle Rock. There's a few other routes depending on what everyone is up for. I always keep location of gas stations in mind due to piggys thirst for chevron.

#16 ·
Okay I'm in for the ride on Sunday. I sent you a PM Jondog.

#17 ·
Great ride yesterday guys! It was great to finally meet 10thbikE, and Jondog9! Both of you guys have super clean RC's! Who'd of thought the group would turn out to be 11 bikes. Great group of super good people! I think my total trip length from my house, to the ride and back was 330, or 340 miles. Hips and butt cheeks were pretty sore when I got home last night, this morning it's my neck that feels the wrath. Lol! All in all it was an awesome day guys! We'll have to do it again, and see if we can get some more Forum members out there!

Reactions: 10THbikE
#18 ·
Yessiree! Helluva day! I'll get some pics up this evening.
Amazingly we had a great group, which isn't always the case when you get 11 different bikes together.
10thbike, you were carrying some impressive speed in that last section of 128 before we hit winters. Same for Russ*Collins51, I just don't remember where it was.
We put on a lot of miles, went thru more than a few hundred turns, and got to run with some other cool bikes.
Great day, Thanks for coming out you guys.

#19 ·
I was pretty determined to hang with that R1 and it was on a road I was familiar with. Quite a mix of bikes as you said, 2 CBR1000s, a Panigale V4S, Ducati 1200 super something or other, our 3 RC's, KTM790 a couple others. Ya know every bike there was no older than 6 years except ours. Graphic proof on the street its not the bike as much as the rider. All of them were good riders but that guy on the Panigale was definitely hating life on the bumpier roads. Good meeting John and Russ*Collins and comparing 3 generations of Satos! Nice bikes guys! Gotta do this again before the really hot days start.

#25 ·
Lol! The young kid on the Ducati definitely was frustrated a bit. He made a comment "Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I have the fastest bike here, and I'm in the back of the line, unable to keep up". He'll get there obviously. I wouldn't be the one to give him riding tips, but I did offer him some bits on my own riding history. Told him when I was his age, I crashed just about every bike I had. The last brand new bike I owned, was a '83 Honda Interceptor. Told him after I sold that at 23 years old, I didn't ride, or have a bike for 20 years. Somehow when I finally got another bike, I was a way better rider than 20 years prior. All due to maturity I told him. So if he keeps with it, and doesn't wadd up that Ducati, he's well on his way to getting alot better. Especially if he keeps riding with the group from the other day. Lots of good, experienced Riders, to learn alot from!

#22 ·

Attachments

#21 ·
Pic from Putah Cafe Breakfast.

Attachments

#24 ·
We figured you had a decent chance, when he didn't go right for his ticket book, when getting off his bike! Sometimes they give us grey beards a break!

#26 ·
Those Panigales want to be on a race track and a smooth one at that. I talked to him also when we pulled up to the Calistoga Inn. He had waved me ahead when we were on that freakin goat trail and you could see from his body language that he was hating life. The KTM and the Duke adventure bike that Scott? was riding were the smart choices for that ride. Although I absolutely love 128 from Lake Hennessey up thru Sage Canyon and back to Winters. Still a little bumpy but doable.

#27 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was behind John, and was getting peppered by pebbles on that stretch. Told the kid it must have killed him being on that shiny new Ducati, and hearing all those rocks ricocheting all over the place! Goat Trail, Lol! You got that right!

#28 ·
Anyone riding this weekend?
Come along with us!

Got another ride in the making for this Saturday June 8.
So far there's about 3 or 4 of us going. (Only 2 RC51's though. So far.)
Riding Hwy 193 and WW/Ice House Reservoir area.

btw, not restricted to RC51's, but for obvious reasons, it is the preferred bike. :D

Last minute, I know, sorry about that.

#29 ·
I'm in, plus one, maybe two. One of my neighbors blew the engine on the wife's Hyundai, and is doing car shopping this weekend.

#30 ·
Just me showing Solo tomorrow morning. Maybe just our 4 RC-51"s then? The "SATO GANG"! Lol!

#32 ·
Fun ride today Guys! That was awesome talking to the Old Timer at lunch! Couple pics of the ride.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.