Sprocket change questions? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sprocket change questions?

Here's the story: i've owned my 2004 RC51 for about a year now, and I'm interested in changing the sprockets. I want to get into the power range a little sooner, have more grunt at lower speeds. i don't really care about top end speed-my Hayabusa can satisfy that need for me. I'm thinking about going to 15t front and 41t rear. So here's my questions:

1. Any tricks to getting to the front and taking it off? I can't seem to find any info on that.

2. Will the original chain still fit with this combo? The bike only has about 12,000 miles on it and the chain looks good--lots of life left in it.

3. Anything else I should know before taking on this project? i've changed chains and sprockets before so not a total newbie on this.

Thanks in advance to your help and advice!

In my garage: 2008 Hayabusa, 2004 RC51, 2007 Interceptor, 2006 VTX 1300, 2009 KLR 650, 2012 Can-Am Spyder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM

That is the same gearing I went with. As for taking off the front sprocket, you can do it easiest with the help of an air impact wrench. Once the retaining nut is off it slides right off the splines. You also won't need to break the chain but you'll have to work a little to get everything in position where it will slide off. The chain is very stiff laterally so it has to be in the right spot to let the sprocket come off. If I remember, I had to take the back tire off first so I could move the chain around. You won't have to force it, just get it lined up. My original 530 chain still fits fine. and I still have plenty of adjustment. I went with a SuperSprox rear sprocket. They are not the lightest but very durable. I'm not racing it anyway or I would have changed to a 520 setup. That gearing and a Power Commander made a world of difference in the rideability of my bike. I only had about 5500 miles on mine when I made the change so my chain was newer. If you're sure the chain hasn't stretched you'll be good.

BTW, If you could take it to a track you likely wouldn't lose any top end either. From what I've read they didn't pull to redline in 6th anyway so the gearing change doesn't hurt a stock bike at all.

'04 Nicky Hayden

Flapper/PAIR Mod-Ladybird Full Ti Moto-GP -w- Long Cans-Proton Flushmount LEDs
HotBodies Undertail-Tyga CF Hugger-HEL Lines
Custom plate mount w integrated LED brake light
15/41 gearing-PCIII USB-Speedohealer-Carbone Lorraine Pads
Spencer Seat mod-Ceramic dual coat headers

It is a wise man who knows where courage ends ...
and stupidity begins.

Last edited by TNRC51; 03-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Hey TNR--thanks for the info. Since I'll be taking the rear wheel off to change that sprocket too, removing the chain won't be a problem. What has to come off to get to the front sprocket? I know there's a cover, but is there a slave piston for the clutch or anything I have to worry about in there? Thanks again!

In my garage: 2008 Hayabusa, 2004 RC51, 2007 Interceptor, 2006 VTX 1300, 2009 KLR 650, 2012 Can-Am Spyder

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM

Yes, the sprocket guard and clutch slave both come off and from memory I think the share a couple of bolts. Also note which bolt goes where as they are different lengths. You don't have to drain the clutch just tie it up to the side. While it is off, don't pump the clutch lever. It's also a good opportunity to clear out the goo that collects. Otherwise, torque back to the correct level and it is actually pretty easy to do.

'04 Nicky Hayden

Flapper/PAIR Mod-Ladybird Full Ti Moto-GP -w- Long Cans-Proton Flushmount LEDs
HotBodies Undertail-Tyga CF Hugger-HEL Lines
Custom plate mount w integrated LED brake light
15/41 gearing-PCIII USB-Speedohealer-Carbone Lorraine Pads
Spencer Seat mod-Ceramic dual coat headers

It is a wise man who knows where courage ends ...
and stupidity begins.

Last edited by TNRC51; 03-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRC51 View Post
Yes, the sprocket guard and clutch slave both come off and from memory I think the share a couple of bolts. Also note which bold goes where as they are different lengths. You don't have to drain the clutch just tie it up to the side. While it is off, don't pump the clutch lever. It's also a good opportunity to clear out the goo that collects. Otherwise, torque back to the correct level and it is actually pretty easy to do.
Thanks again. Yea, I was reading and it was suggest that the clutch level be tied to the bar in the fully disengaged position. I'm thinking that might be so the internal spring doesn't push the slave piston out of the holder. I might try that as well as taping the piston closed. Other than that it seems like a pretty simple job. Thanks for the info--I just wanted to make sure I was thinking about it the right way. Always nice to talk with someone who's already done it!!!

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Put the bike on a rear stand and either remove the rear wheel or loosen the axle and slide it as forward as possible.
Then remove the clutch cover, leaving the clutch slave cylinder attached.
If you have a small C-clamp, you can use it to press the slave cylinder piston to prevent it from creeping outward.

If you're going from 16/40 to 15/41, then usually no change will be needed on the chain.
If not, then you may need to remove or add links for what ever new sprockets are being used.
If your chain is in great or like new condition, then using it with new sprockets should be ok.
If your chain is not in good condition, the replace the chain as the chain is what wears out the sprockets (chains don't stretch, they wear).

Ryobi makes a great 1/2" 18V electric impact wrench that is more handy than air impacts (especially with the lithium battery).
It worked great on my daughters FZ6 countershaft sprocket.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Put the bike on a rear stand and either remove the rear wheel or loosen the axle and slide it as forward as possible.
Then remove the clutch cover, leaving the clutch slave cylinder attached.
If you have a small C-clamp, you can use it to press the slave cylinder piston to prevent it from creeping outward.

If you're going from 16/40 to 15/41, then usually no change will be needed on the chain.
If not, then you may need to remove or add links for what ever new sprockets are being used.
If your chain is in great or like new condition, then using it with new sprockets should be ok.
If your chain is not in good condition, the replace the chain as the chain is what wears out the sprockets (chains don't stretch, they wear).

Ryobi makes a great 1/2" 18V electric impact wrench that is more handy than air impacts (especially with the lithium battery).
It worked great on my daughters FZ6 countershaft sprocket.

AWESOME! that's just want I needed. Thanks a bunch!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

BTW--will I need a new gasket for behind the cover?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
No.

Download yourself a manual here too.

http://www.carlsalter.com/honda-service-manuals.asp

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM

I have no clue of the number,but I went with +2 in the rear and -1 in the front. It goes so fast. Hard too keep the front down on quick acceleration thou. Perfect for the track but not so much on the street. In Fl where I live it is a $1000 fine for 1 wheel of the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode