I purchased a 2001 RC with 13000 miles on it about 8 months ago. Due to a miserable winter, it has sat in the garage for about 5 of those months
But, during the time I had it out, I managed to put about 6,000 miles on it. During that time, I noticed a few things, that were intermittent, but seem to be happening more frequently, and have really shown up now that the bike is back on the road.
1. Hard starting, ESPECIALLY when bike was hot. Example, I'm riding and stop for gas. If I don't let it sit for 20 minutes or so, I normally drain my battery attempting to get it started again.
2. Battery...wow, this thing is horrible. A brand new battery was on the bike when I got it, and I wound up buying a new one almost immediately after I purchased it. While I haven't had as many starting, or battery related issues, I still don't have confidence in either. It sits on the battery tender pretty much ANY time it's in the garage.
3. Tripometer reseting. Just randomly, regardless of the amount of miles on the tripometer, it will occasionally reset. Obviously not the most crushing of issues, but still raises the eyebrows a little bit.
4. Highbeams, occasionally, a flick on the highbeams, and either there is a delayed reaction (a couple seconds), or nothing happens. Often I have to hit the rocker switch a couple times.
5. Turn Signals...most recently. Riding one day and all of the sudden, my turn signals (only front and dash indicator) quit working. Rear still work, but at a faster blinking rate. At the same time, the background light on the dash turns off every time the turn signals flash. I thought I blew a bulb, but as soon as I pulled in the garage, it worked normal again. This has repeated nearly daily since it started, with it not working more often than it working.
I know it's a bear to try and troubleshoot over the internet, and I'm not an electrical expert. Just wanted to see if some of these are common to the RC and if so, what are some known solutions? Or, are these symptoms pointing to a tell-tale issue like a bad r/r, or suspect relay or something.
Thanks and looking forward to some feedback!