2 problems on rc causing not to start need advise - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 problems on rc causing not to start need advise

hey guys i have a 2003 rc51 and need a little direction or advise if you can help please chime in.

1. the bike is not holding a charge. with new battery completely charged. the bike will start and run fine. the bike charges the battery just fine but when you turn the bike off for 30 min to an hr the battery is drained and bike will not start. so back on the charger and it shows 72% when an hr ago it was at 100%. a couple weeks ago i found my rectifier plug fried i replaced with some connectors for a quick fix. so i am thinking its the rectifier but others are saying maybe starter. i have traced every plug and cleaned. as well as every ground i could find. and the kill switch is in the run position

2. i was riding the bike to a friends house to try and diagnose this problem and another one occurred. i was stopped in his driveway. bike was idling and then just cut off. i restarted immediately and it idling for about 2 min and cut off again. now when i turn key on the fuel pump is not cutting on. the kill switch is in the run position. also when key is on the power commander is no longer lighting up. can anyone help? downloaded the manual and tried trouble shooting what i could but had no luck.

so i have ordered a fuel pump. do i order a rectifier?
all advise will help thanks guys.

also i want to do the repairs. so taking it to the shop isn't in my price range right now. unless its a last resort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
any kind of alarm/immobiliser fitted?

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Banned

What is the battery charging at? Is this a new battery after the fried reg/rec connector or a battery before? If it's before is it the same battery? Can you take the battery somewhere to be checked?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes new battery after the fry. Its at 13-14 with bike running before my fuel pump issue. So I fugure I get that sorted and ill be closer to figure out why battery is draining.

No sort of alarm on the bike only thing is the pc
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The manual shows you how to test for a battery drain. Have you done that?
Have you checked your fuel cut-off relay? I cant say for sure, but you should be able to feel it click when you turn the key on and it throws power to the fuel pump. I think you can swap the headlight relay (in the front fairing) if you suspect relay failure. Or you can simply test if power is coming into the pump when you turn on the key.
Have you measured the AC voltage on all three legs coming from the stator?

I would highly recommend getting rid of those butt connectors and replace with solder and shrinkwrap. The vibration of our bikes is hard on twist or crimp connections.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

i have not measured the ac voltage. not to sure how to quiet yet. i havent found the part that tells you how to test for batt drain. i downloaded the manuel and its 470 pages so i have been just scrolling in the garage. need to just order an org manual. i have checked the relay. looks good but did not know i could swap out. going to try that when i get home.

and when the bike shut off the 2nd time i turned key off then back on and usually when the fuel pump kicks on it was clicking pretty lound it kinda startled me so i turned the key back off and now when turn key on there is no sound at all.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM

That clicking could have been the relay on it's final failure.
The Current Leakage Test is on page 16-7
16-8 shows you a way to test the stator (alternator)
Here's another way that Makis explained to me recently.

Quote:
Have a very good charged battery.
Start the bike and disconnect that white plug.
Use your A.C. Voltmeter and measure the 3 yellow wires by pairs.
At idle they should give you 12-14V A.C. and near 4000rpm about 40V or so.
If that is the case in all 3 pairs then your stator is fine.
Alternatively you can measure Ohm resistance between each of the 3 yellow pair of wires.
It should be 0.2-0.5 Ohm at room temp

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks jondog ill look into it more this weekend and let y'all know whats going on. also already ordered a fuel pump so that will be installed Monday when it arrives
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Why? If the failure turns out to be the relay, then return the fuelpump and get your coin back.
Besides, it's no easy task to replace the fuelpump. It's straight forward, but you have to remove it from the bottom of the fuel tank, and you may need a new gasket. And if you're in there to replace the pump, it doesn't make much sense to not replace the fuel filter too.
I think you're getting the cart before the horse with the pump. At least until you do some further testing.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Ordered the seal to. No filter though. Well I'm going to check relay tomorrow and if its that everything will end up getting returned or just stored for the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode