Stator problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stator problem

Well, the cause of this problem is (sorta) a mystery to me. I went on a pretty long ride on Sunday (the "Tour Da Bay" ride) and had no issues. I did, however, put a Monster in the trunk and forgot about it. Monday morning I went off to work (about 15 miles) and she started with no issues. On my return home I stopped to get petrol and when I went to turn the bike back on it merely clicked. At this point I found the Monster can I had forgotten in the trunk with a hole in it. I then tried to jump the bike and the results were as follows: clicking, clicking, ten minute wait, no clicking, it started and then I shut it off, ten minute wait, clicking, started and then it died after a few moments. By the final start I noticed the headlight was very dim which meant it was probably only running off the battery.

I got the bike towed home and today I charged the battery then went through Makis' charging system check. Across the battery I got 12.6V at idle and 12.2V at 4K RPM. I then went through the manual's system check and found that all the readings were out of spec for the stator. The rectifier seemed to check out ok and I went ahead and checked all the fuses as well.

My question is; what could have caused the stator to go bad (aside from sugary goodness spraying around in the trunk) and what else should I check out while I have her half-nekkid? I also decided to take off the L side radiator as it had recently developed a leak. Hopefully I can have it repaired and find a stator for a decent price. I see Ben has one so I'll give him a call. I want to thank everyone who has made this site the wealth of information (and jackass-ery) that it is today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM

I don't have any clue how to solve your problem, but I want to mention that I feel your pain/misery. I too had a Rockstar energy drink in the back of my bike (because it wouldn't fit in my pocket, of course ) for a short ride to work, only 7 miles and the darn thing got a hole in it. By the time I noticed it, I was already at work wondering why I smelled something carmelizing. It got all over the trunk and stuck to the mufflers. Luckily, only thing I had to do was clean it up as I had no other problems arise from the situation. Hope you get all the answers you need so you can enjoy riding again.

'08 HD Dyna FatBob
'03 RC51 #153 - fastest RC ever built - SOLD
'03/13 BOTM - thx every1!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Failing rectifiers can cause this too.

I recall this thread, maybe it can help

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...rectifier+test

Good Luck!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Madbuyer. I had also gone through that thread but I forgot to mention my findings on there. The voltage across the 3P connector while running (three yellow wires) was around 2V, resistance was 1.4 , and there IS continuity between the yellow wires and ground. Is there a way to test the actual rectifier? I have searched and have found nothing.

I did go through the manual's regulator/rectifier inspection but those seem to be for the harness. Also, it says the 5P connector is black, it isnt; and the red wire is really red and white.

Last edited by Shonuff; 04-18-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: almost forgot:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I had this in my favorites....

http://youtu.be/44hLjPBObYw

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Hey Jose, recently Makis told me about testing the Stator: the Volts at idle should be at least 12-14V AC. At 4000 rpm should be around 40-50 or better. More on that here
To test the regulator, unplug it and test at the regulators connector. Idle should be around 13.4V DC or better. At 5000 rpm, with high beam on, no more than 15.5V. The bike should be good and warmed up before you test.
When you reconnect the regulator, it should be putting at least 13.2V DC to the battery at idle.

You should test all three components in the reverse order I just listed.
So start by seeing what volts your getting at the battery with the bike warmed up.
Then test the regulator/rectifier, then test the yellow wires connector.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey, John. Yeah, I had already gone through Makis' charging system procedure and my findings were incorrect; continuity on all three leads, low output voltage at 4k RPM, and the resistance was 1.1 (it wasnt 1.4 as I had said before, I double checked) which is out of spec.
Madbuyer, thanks for that video. Very informative and I even laughed a little when he says, "So you saw the first one wasn't producing shit". Ill have to look for a regulator/rectifier chart and report the findings.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I'm confused by your numbers...
What AC voltage reading do you get for each of the 3 pairs of yellow wires?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would think it is way more common for a rectifier to go bad before a stator would. The stator is nothing but a big hunk of wire on the other hand the rectifier has a green board with some chips on it that get super hot and fry. Plus what if some of that monster got inside of your rectifier and caused a short. Make sure you have your Volt meter set on AC and not DC when you test the output of the stator on the 3 yellow wire connector. Your resistance numbers of 1.1 is about what I had on mine when I tested it out. Considering what a stator is a coil (a bunch of wire wrapped around and around) if you had a bad one I would think it would test completely open or shorted and not 0.3 of an Ohm out of spec. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I would not consider updating the rectifier a waste of money since they are known to go bad, and updating it now means one less thing that could leave you stranded on the side of the road

Here is a link to my charging system adventure https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13058
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

That is what I had originally thought as well, Tommy, but the stator tested bad as per the manual. I just replaced the stator, picked up my left radiator from the shop, and checked the clearance on my valves. Tomorrows agenda is engine ice into the cooling system, pick up and install new plugs (NGK), pick up shims from the stealership and finish up the valve check. Then it should be ready for the weekend.
John, as requested, my valve clearance numbers are as follows:

(Orientation is as if sitting on the bike)
Front cylinder
Right Intake- 0.18mm
Left Intake- 0.18mm
Right Exhaust- 0.15mm
Left Exhaust- 0.15mm

Rear cylinder
Right Intake- 0.15mm
Left Intake- 0.13mm
Right Exhaust- 0.20mm
Left Exhaust- 0.25mm
I cant remember the exact mileage but it is a bit over 36k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode