FI light comes on and bike misfires - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FI light comes on and bike misfires

Im having a intermittent problem with my 02 RC;

Occasionally (once every 30 min of ride time) the bike will misfire? Or die... For one second and then resume running normally. The FI light comes on when the bike hiccups and turns off again after 15-20 seconds. The bike only has about 10000 miles and seems to be in great shape aside from this problem. I have only owned the bike for about a year and I don't ride it very often at all. I can see this being a difficult problem to track down and was hoping I could get a little advice before I started pulling hair out.

Any maintenance need to be done on the injection system?
I'm thinking it is an electrical problem more than a fuel issue based on how rarely the hiccup occurs...

If you have any ideas where I should start I'm all ears...
I'm hoping to ride it some this summer but I don't want to keep riding it without resolving this prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorehay View Post
Im having a intermittent problem with my 02 RC;

Occasionally (once every 30 min of ride time) the bike will misfire? Or die... For one second and then resume running normally. The FI light comes on when the bike hiccups and turns off again after 15-20 seconds. The bike only has about 10000 miles and seems to be in great shape aside from this problem. I have only owned the bike for about a year and I don't ride it very often at all. I can see this being a difficult problem to track down and was hoping I could get a little advice before I started pulling hair out.

Any maintenance need to be done on the injection system?
I'm thinking it is an electrical problem more than a fuel issue based on how rarely the hiccup occurs...

If you have any ideas where I should start I'm all ears...
I'm hoping to ride it some this summer but I don't want to keep riding it without resolving this prob.
Sound like the dreaded fuel pressure regulator. I had the exact same symptoms when I purchased my SP back in Oct. It is a very common problem with the RC51's. Very easy to replace since it is located on the top back of the Throttle bodies.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Do a search on the FPR, it has been covered extensively.

Also, if it has a Power Commander on it, you may want to disconnect it real quick to see if that cures your trouble too.

I'd check the PC first (Easier) and then the FPR.....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
a loose battery cable will do that as well, i had that problem last year
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
02 with only 10,000? nice! but she's been sitting some right? I don't know if fpr problem will set a code. Sounds like it's kind of harsh off-on?
Try eliminating the existing codes that may be stored, then start the bike again and see if any new codes appear. If so, then issue is something else besides the fpr. But that could be going out too if your bike has been at rest for a while.

See if the bike will set new codes after you've cleared the existing ones.
If it doesn't, next time you're riding and it occurs, find out asap what the code is. carry a jumper wire with you.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
FPR is purely mechanical, so it doesn't set a code by itself.
Since the FI light comes on with the hiccup, it sounds like the ECU is resetting due to momentary loss of power.
As stated, I'd check for loose electrical connections.
Battery posts, main chassis ground, etc.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Please forgive my ignorance on this bike... I'm a dirtbiker that's allways had the hots for an RC and finally dove on a chance to own one.

As far as "codes"... The FI light only comes on briefly and then right back off... Would that store a code?

I'm fairly savy mechanically and electrically and I feel like this may be an electrical problem. I'm going to try and look into some of these suggestions at my next oprotunity.

The clock reads 14k... Not confident on how accurate it is but the bike looks great. I ride dirtbikes 2-3 days a week so unfortunately the RC gets neglected when it comes to ride time... I'm coming off a broken ankle and I have been riding it quite a bit lately.

I'm using a phone for Internet right now do searching anything is a pain... I really appreciate the feedback
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
You can download the Service manual for free, here

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Have a look at it....it can be very helpful at times

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The FI codes and troubleshooting is in section 5.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I had this happen. Sometimes I'd go over a bump and it would momentarily lose ignition, then the FI light would come on. Kill switch off, on and reset. Eventually it stranded me on the side of the highway that night, so I took the cowl off. Was a connection near the battery. First place I'd look there.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode