SP1 FI light woes - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to matt1999vfr800
SP1 FI light woes

Hey guys a picked up my RC month ago and been going through her and have found a few things that raised a few flags. First thing my FI light stays lit up all the time check the service manual and its saying fault ecm!? Secondly it has a pc3 on it which the previous owner installed and did a shity job at it have to repair the ground to it also found couple of melted wires down by the front cylinder goes into the harness dust cover. Also had to repair a damaged wire looks like it rubbed the fan.anyways any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Its better to appear dumb then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Wow I figured you guys would be more helpful than this. Guess I chose the wrong forum.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Unplug PC3 and reconnect factory wiring as a quick check first. Be patient, sometimes it takes a day before you get a reply. There are a lot of people on here who can help.

Last edited by coffeymax; 04-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeymax View Post
Unplug PC3 and reconnect factory wiring as a quick check first. Be patient, sometimes it takes a day before you get a reply. There are a lot of people on here who can help.
+1 for unplugging the PC as I have seen them fail...take it out of the equation. As for replies patience is the key, the good folks will chime in.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The fact that your FI light stays on doesn't automatically mean you have a faulty ECM.
Your description was fast and dirty. That's why I didn't answer, till you had given some more information, or investigated further.
A couple melted wires? Which wires? That right there could throw a code, depending on which wires are melted. Certainly you need to find out which wires those are, and repair them.
Is your kickstand up or down when the light stays lit?
Have you cleared the codes?
Try clearing the codes, then start the bike on it's sidestand and see what the FI light does.

And don't be impatient - it's the weekend.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I have tired to clear the codes (bike was on the pitbull stand) it blinked 19 times which came up as a pulse generator. My next question is the PC looks like its hard wired into to the bike so when you say unplug makes me kinda worry is the PC on the SP1's supposed to be plug n play? Sorry for some many noob questions this is my first RC51. Now as for the melted wire it appears to be apart of the PC3 harness it runs on the left side of the bike (if your stading behind the bike) and goes into the factory wiring harness dust cover next to the front cylinder. The rubbed wire went to the temp sensor on the left radiator (looks like poor routing) that has been repaired. I haven't done anything else to it as I've been waiting on parts air filters,plugs etc. Sorry for being impatient and thank you for your continuing help.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The power commander unit is interconnected between the ECU and the fuel injectors.
It changes the fuel injector timing to adjust the air/fuel ratio over stock.
If the power commander is suspect, then it can be disconnected and the OEM connectors reconnected back to their original locations.

If the power commander is a PCIIIUSB, then it only uses two gray connectors and ground lead (attached to the negative battery post).

If the power commander is an older PCIIIr, it has the same gray connectors and ground lead as the PCIIIUSB, but it also has red connectors that interconnects between the pulse generator red connectors at the left front of the engine, inside that rubber protective sleeve near the front engine mount you mentioned.

Power commander units must be modified with a custom map by placing the bike on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer to measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.
Then the bike can run at its optimal air/fuel ratios.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

OK sailor I have the older PC3 with the two grey plugs and the two red plugs actually just disconnected it but what would be the following test I would do to figure out if its bad? If someone would be willing to do this for me I would ship it to one of y'all on my dime of course and hook if up to one of your bikes and tell if its good or bad. Just a idea if anyone is willing to do that.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Matt, I have the same PCIIIr that you have. You can leave those red connectors - in the PC's harness - disconnected from the bike's red connectors. Which is the pulse generator connector. Be sure to plug the bikes red connectors back together. Leave the PC's red connectors tucked to the side. If those wires are chaffed, that explains your code 19. I had this same scenario happen to me two summers ago.

I could run your PC on my bike to check it out, but before we talk about that, try a couple more things first.

Even if you have your bike lifted on a stand, you still need to put the kickstand down. That way you get accurate readings to your FI light from the ECM.
Lift the gas tank, under the left rear you'll see the grey connectors and the main wiring harness. You should see those grey connectors SubSailor told you about. Disconnect the grey plugs for the PCIIIr, leave them unplugged to the side, and plug the other two grey connectors back together so the bike's Harness is plugged back into itself.
Now you've bypassed the PCIIIr, and the bike will only run on it's own factory ECM.
Now clear the codes. It took me a few tries the first time I did it...

Now you've bypassed the PCIIIr, fixed the chaffed wires, cleared the old codes.
It's time to start the bike now. Keep the kickstand down.
If you're lucky, repairing the wires solved the pulse generator code and there are no new codes flashing.
If you're not that lucky, come back and tell us what it's doing.
Hope this helps.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 04-30-2013 at 05:25 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Will do Jon. My off day are tomorrow and Friday so I'll be able to set a day out for just tinkering on it. I'll report back what I find as soon as I find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode