Front Cylinder Clicking - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front Cylinder Clicking

Hey everyone,
So I noticed that my RC started making a clicking noise yesterday. It also stalled twice while ideling. The clicking seems to be more apparent when the motor is warmed up (170-200 degrees). I just installed a power commander and wrapped the entire exhaust but I can not see how those could be causing the problem. I changed the plugs (used antisieze) and removed the flapper system. The clicking seems to be originating from the front cylinder head but it's hard to say exactly. I thought I would tap into the vast knowledge of this forum before paying someone to diagnose it. If anyone has had a problem similiar to this please help. Thanx much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I would have expected the ticking or clicking noise to be more apparent when cold.
When was the last valve clearance check/adjust?
The ticking or clicking could valve clearances out of tolerance.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I have no idea since I bought her used from a dealership. She has about 20k miles. Wouold that explaine the stalling as well or is that the power commander?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stalling can be from a number of things, does the display go blank when it stalls?

Does it run rough before stalling? Gas smell?

Did you check all vacuum lines and ensure they were plugged/connected?

Ground wire to PC solid? Connectors clean with dielectric grease to seal them up?

Check other grounds on frame, etc...

Ticking can be the valves, exhaust gasket?, Pair covers intact, hoses plugged? (can allow valve train noise to be amplified)

When riding does ticking get quieter on declleration? Any exhaust popping?

These are things I would generally check over when I hear strange/new noises. They are easy to do before getting dirty.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Could be the vacuum pipe for the flapper solenoid. Front RHS of the fairing.

I found this out the hard way after putting my bike back together after a winter refresh.
Ended up taking the front cam cover off to check the shims after just re-fitting the engine, only to look over and realise I'd forgot to block of the flapper solenoid, that I'd only just modified. Numb skull
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool thanx for all of the replies:
It looks like I need to recheck all of my work. Just to answer the questions asked: there is no gas smell. I did not noticed if the display went blank when stalling. I removed the flapper solenoid completly and plugged the vac line. the block off plates for the PAIR system appeared to be intact. I removed the exhaust to wrap it and I did not change the exhaust head gaskets; I was told I could reuse them if I was carefull but I did not think that an exhaust leak would sound like clicking. I will tear her down and take a look see. Fun Fun.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM

An exhaust noise can sound like ticking mate. I know I just had to replace the front gasket on mine as it was doing the same thing.

They only cost a few bucks so it's worth changing anyway and having a few spares in the garage.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jock. Is there a test I can do to diagnose it as an exhaust leak before removing the headers? I tried feeling for air movement around the port but I quess if its small enough then it would be hard to detect.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can gently blow smoke (while in the garage with no wind, cooling fans off) and it is much more sensitive than your hand.

Another way that isn't as easy or clean is soapy water, etc.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Sometime you can also get away with using a piece of tissue paper near the gasket to see if the gasses from the cylinder move the paper and let you know there is a leak.

Not as easy on a V-Twin though with the vibrations from the big pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode