making her grip the turns - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
making her grip the turns

does anybody else race anything on four wheels. Thats where my race experience ends. when your in a car or truck go cart .. whatever if your suspension is tight its hard to hold the line coming out of the corner. when your loose its hard to hold the line going in the turn. I can in no way relate this to my bike because she was all over the place today. before you dog my riding skills please keep an open mind. in the apex of the turn the front wants to slide out from under me in the opposite direction of the turn (loose??) when your going in the turn the rear wants to slide out so you can imagine that its like riding on oil. like i said all over the place. now i saw the thread about how to set up the suspension but i dont know what to do.
OEM suspension but the previous rider was prob 250lbs and im 160lbs. so if he had it set up for him i know its wrong for me. riding with friends today in the mountains of CO and thought i was gonna eat it more than once. michelin tires that have good life and i know how to take the turns. and if you have a good setup you can hold any line. i couldnt hardly hold one lane at higher speeds. any help would be appreciated https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/ima...ons/icon11.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Do this!!!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Take time to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWN...e_gdata_player

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Andrew, thanx a lot for that sharing, buddy!

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattQuick View Post
does anybody else race anything on four wheels. Thats where my race experience ends. when your in a car or truck go cart .. whatever if your suspension is tight its hard to hold the line coming out of the corner. when your loose its hard to hold the line going in the turn. I can in no way relate this to my bike because she was all over the place today. before you dog my riding skills please keep an open mind. in the apex of the turn the front wants to slide out from under me in the opposite direction of the turn (loose??) when your going in the turn the rear wants to slide out so you can imagine that its like riding on oil. like i said all over the place. now i saw the thread about how to set up the suspension but i dont know what to do.
OEM suspension but the previous rider was prob 250lbs and im 160lbs. so if he had it set up for him i know its wrong for me. riding with friends today in the mountains of CO and thought i was gonna eat it more than once. michelin tires that have good life and i know how to take the turns. and if you have a good setup you can hold any line. i couldnt hardly hold one lane at higher speeds. any help would be appreciated https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/ima...ons/icon11.gif
Matt what you can do is save up $$$ and set-up some aftermarket stuff but until that happens set your sag and play with ride heights do you have a link ?
Have you shimmed the shock ?

The way your describing loose rear in loose front out leads me to believe adjustments have been made that do-not make sense.
The alarm and lock arrived -thanks-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Did you check your tire pressures? OEM suspension is designed to be semi idiot proof and changing the settings doesn't do a massive amount of change.

If tire pressures are okay, it could also be a blown rear shock or front forks. Could be the rear suspension has lost its air pressure. And the fork seals are known to go on the RC51. Not good if all the fluid leaks out of a fork or forks.

If not that, then it sounds to me like the suspension is set up or operating such that there is not enough weight on the front and too much on the rear.

Where are the forks sitting in the triple? What settings are on the suspension? What sag?

Last edited by kwtoxman; 05-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First of all, you need to check the basics:
Tire pressure, condition, type? Are you over-riding a set of ten year old, bald, flat tires?
Set your sag (impossible on stock spring rates with your weight and the top out springs in the front)
When was the last time any of the suspension was serviced?
Make sure your geometry isn't all crazy.
Make sure your settings aren't all crazy.
For these last two, look here for a good starting point: http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ngs/honda.html

Quote:
motorcycle issue front preload front rebound damping front comp. damping rear preload rear rebound damping rear comp. damping

RC51 ('00) 10/00 1 line showing 6 clicks out 15 clicks out position 4 of 9 2 turns out 14 clicks out
note: set fork tube height to 16mm above top triple clamp, with Dunlop D207 GP Star tires
RC51 ('00) 12/00 3 lines showing 9 clicks out 16 clicks out position 4 of 9 1.25 turns out 15 clicks out
note: set fork tube height to 13mm above top triple clamp, with Metzeler Rennsport tires
RC51 ('02) 10/02 4 turns out 2 turns out 8 clicks out position 5 of 8 1 turn out 6 clicks out
note: set fork tube height to 1 line showing above top triple clamp, with Dunlop D208GP tires fitted

Once that is done, then it is on to tuning. The above settings are a good place to start and are not the end-all-be-all. If you aren't comfortable with doing the tuning yourself, get to a suspension guy and talk it over with him. You local trackday and race orgs will probably have info on who in your area is recommended. Some have shops with normal hours, some only go to the tracks on the weekends and have minimal regular hours. When you go to them, explain your problems and let them tell you their recommendations. Ask what they are doing and why. Don't be surprised when they tell you it will take some money to get your bike handling right with aftermarket components. Don't expect them to perform the impossible with stock stuff.

Honestly, I don't see how the rear can be stepping out at the beginning of the turn unless you are talking about while braking. (the rear gets light under hard braking and will wander) Unless you are riding somewhere that is really bumpy and the rear shock can't handle it or is pre-loaded to the moon. At the apex, your front should be starting to get light anyways as you should be on the gas before you hit the apex of the corner.

General consensus as to which end needs adjusting/work:
Beginning of turn, from the first moment of braking to the apex: Front suspension
After apex all the way to completely straight up: Rear suspension

From what little experience I have with four-wheeled nonsense, my impression of "loose" and "tight" were different. Loose meant the vehicle would over-steer (back end coming around, turning too much), and tight was under-steer (front end was pushing to the outside, refusing to turn)

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM

B.miller, awesome info!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, and I forgot to mention: If you get your bike setup by a suspension guy, write down what settings he gives you. Usually it's about $30-$50 to get it done. It's your money, so don't waste it by playing with the adjustments later before writing down where you started.

Write it all down and track your adjustments, take notes on what you did and what changed on the bike. Other details like tire brand/size, which track you were at, and what the weather was like are also important to note.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode