Bike not charging - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike not charging

Start by replacing battery a few weeks ago. Then noticed fork seal leaking so picked it up today from repair on fork seal started fine. Stopped for fuel a few miles down the road wont crank over so i push started it. Got outta town heading home noticed my fuel light on just faint very dim. Then bike started to lose power eventually stalled so i coasted to a stop. Tryed to start barely turn over. Made a call to a buddy to help waited a few minutes tryed to crank still slow to turn over so tryed to push start again and it fired up again threw on my helmet blasted it down the road got it up to around 120 then the fuel light came on faint again started to loose power and stalled again no start pushed to my buddys house as it was only a few blocks now. Tryed there no start put a charge to it a few hours checked battery connections and started right up. Volt meter reading 11-11.4 so no charge. Is there a fuse for charging system? What checks do you recommend to start with before throwing parts at it? thanks Also for some reason my rear signal light had been disconnected as they are aftermarket signals and one had the stem broke and i did talk about replacing not sure why he would have disconnected it but could that have shorted something? I plugged it back in and signals work fine.

2000 sp1 number 000039
full hindle off-road exhaust
power commander
double bubble screen
sprocket swap 1 down 3 up
k and n filters
and now flapper mod thanks to rc forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM

Check the operation of your rectifier/regulator. Odds are you will need to replace it. It is located on the left hand side of the tail section.

Part #5 in this drawing:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....p?make=hondamc

Easily troubleshot with a voltmeter. Here is what a quick search of youtube revealed:

Sean
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Also have your local auto parts store test the battery. Most will do it quickly and for free. If you've only had the new battery for a few weeks it could just be bad.

2003 SP2
Used to have Kwaks, but they're gone

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Tested stator no ohms at all on either test on 3 yellow wires. Tested 0 ohms on connect to casing. AC voltage test showed 6.5v on AC setting. So thinking stator bad gonna replace both rec and stator problem is honda canada is completely out of stock until mid aug. So looking to search the states side if you guys could point me to somebody down there to mail order one also honda here wants outragous prices.

2000 sp1 number 000039
power commander
double bubble screen
k and n filters
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Yuck it does sound like the stator has died. On the forum I've seen east toledo honda gets good reviews for prices. I haven't used them yet myself, but if I need parts in the future I intend to give them a try.

Good luck.

Sean
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Ya I just tryed dennis kirk prices not bad but costs a small fortune to ship. Gonna have to do some searching around I will give them a try.

2000 sp1 number 000039
power commander
double bubble screen
k and n filters
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ya I did the challenge I have with getting from the states is the duties and tariffs attached to them. I finally found a pair out of royal distributing here in ontario no shipping cost. Will be here tomorrow and at a reasonable price. I just cannot believe the amount honda canada charges for these things. Thanks for the help guys we will get it up and running in no time.

2000 sp1 number 000039
power commander
double bubble screen
k and n filters
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Well I know for fact that there are NO duties on motorcycle parts coming in from the US as a matter of fact I just received something from Italy for the bike and there was no duty.
I did get charged PST/GST and a "brokerage fee" by my least favourite carrier UPS.

Are you close to a border? I am and depending on whether the seller will ship to Canada or not I sometimes use my cousins place in Washington state or a parcel receiving business and I just cross the border and walk back.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyfsux View Post
Ya I did the challenge I have with getting from the states is the duties and tariffs attached to them. I finally found a pair out of royal distributing here in ontario no shipping cost. Will be here tomorrow and at a reasonable price. I just cannot believe the amount honda canada charges for these things. Thanks for the help guys we will get it up and running in no time.
Since you reported your stator windings were shorted (0 ohms on all three coils), after replacing your stator, be sure and double-check your charging output.
Sometimes, there's a ripple effect from a failed component causing a component downstream to fail as well.
And that component would be the rectifier/regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode