Rough idle, then no start - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rough idle, then no start

I wanted to share my experience this afternoon after my attempt at leaving work today. Over the last couple months I've experienced a few bad or rough cold starts on my 2000 RC51. Today after work I started it and it appeared to be running on ONE cylinder. After letting it die, it wouldn't restart so I ran in and starting reading blogs about the subject. A forum on this site pointed me to potential spark problems. I remembered at that point that raw fuel was clearly evident in the parking lot so rather than injector problems it was clear that I was missing some spark. I found the last two spark plugs in stock in Western Washington and ran directly to that parts counter and grabbed 'em. After some elbow grease to access each cylinder I was able to refresh each plug and VOILA!! Running like new.

I have 65,000 miles on my bike and the front plug has ALL of those miles on it. I remember changing the rear plug and giving up on the access to the front at about 30,000 miles. I bought the bike with 2000 miles on it after many test rides of Buell and Ducati rigs. I settled on the RC51 as a dependable Ducati since I knew I was going to commute on it.

I figure the poor guy that bought my bike originally, had some coin and good intentions but soon learned the complications with torque and traded it right back into the dealer. I picked up the bike with low miles and a complete titanium Evolution race exhaust system from Acrapovic. My second week of ownership I was on the track with Reg Pridmore in Seattle and realized the function of a sportbike. I then became obsessed with track days. I spent four years running Spokane, Seattle (S.I.R) and Portland before being talked into club racing. I ran two years of WMRRA with Mike Sullivan and Ross DeLong as mentors before hanging it up. I continue to commute and know I have a little more up my sleeve for survival when some joker tries to take me out on the freeway.

One more coolness factor ... when I bought my bike I had to wait a couple weeks for the dealer to get my plates to me. The plate number that I got randomly was 692002, which for you TRUE RC fans will recognize as Nicky Hayden's race number and his corresponding AMA season championship in 2002. I read that Nicky took over his dad's race number and his dad chose the number because it reads the same when it's upside down in the weeds following a crash

Thanks for hearing me out and letting me ramble in a forum of common interests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
That's freaky

Better than my buddy he drove up in his van with the new plates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sally disk 536.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	19137  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Welcome!

And ... 88, 00, 96 and maybe some others also read the same upside down ... so I suspect the real story behind Hayden's number choice is ... well, you know ... something to do with human pleasures of the oral variety.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, you were able to narrow the logic even further. I'm in the middle of reading all the rules of engagement here and wasn't quite ready to lay out my Beavis point of view. I'll work up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode