Just picked up a stock '02 What mods to do? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just picked up a stock '02 What mods to do?

Well as the title says, I just picked up an 02 with about 14,000 miles on it. Mostly stock with the exception of new cans, tires, and brakes.

No mods or aftermarket parts have been added. So, I'm trying to come up with a list of needed and or recommended mods.

PAIR valve.
Flapper valve
Power Commander USB
Braided brake lines.

Also looking into the coil stick replacements from CBRs but apparently the plugs we use won't work because of the tips. Anyone find some good numbers that will work, or do I have to buy a $15 plug and grind the tip down?

Anything else that I haven't found or listed?

Also, how fast should the bike crank with a fully charged battery? The battery in my old CBR600 cranks pretty fast, but the one in the RC doesn't seem to spin it that fast. Not sure if that is a function of the motor or the battery is dying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Work on suspension....suspension....suspension. I know it sound sexy like a performance exhaust but you will be happier on a bike that handles like a dream.

Without hearing this, remember you are turning two huge aluminium slugs over on a heavy crank. It will turn over a bit slower than an I4

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to NoriHaga41
If you're looking, I've got a set of Stainless Yoshi RS3s if you're interested.

Public Relations
Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program
[email protected]
2005 Honda RC-51, SP2

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Nori, but it has a brand new Jardine system on it.

Thanks Madbuyer, I know suspension helps but I have to plan my costs out for this thing. Since it will be pleasure riding, and not racing or track days, I want to use my $$ for minor improvements that will make the bike more drivable. (I do most of my riding on the highway) I am sure that at some point I will wind up upgrading the suspension.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM

"Just picked up a stock '02 What mods to do?"

First.....ride it...

then see what areas YOU think need Improving
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM

I have front SS braided lines and in my opinion money could be spent better elsewhere. I didn't see a big increase in feel as everyone raved about. But this is a pretty subjective. Maybe my riding is just not up the the level of everyone else's.

I think the biggest improvement was the sprockets. I went with 15/41. The other major improvement was my Penske shock and Ohlin valving in the forks. My bike no longer skips over bumps mid corner!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Personally if it was me i'd be spending cash on service part first before mods, Oil + filter, Air filter(s), Replace ALL the fluids, Plugs etc just to make sure Nothings been missed out in its service life, Check the condition of chain and sprockets etc

Mods are a Personal thing, for example swiftone above says that one of his biggest improvements were fork valving and shock, now swiftone might be a slightly larger Chap than that of your typical japanese rider so he requires that Valving mod to handle his weight better, well...needs it more than me who is the size and weight of a typical japanese rider

Best thing you can Do just now is just ride it, you will then figure out what areas you feel its needing improvement on.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

LOL thanks guys. Oil is new. Chain and sprockets look excellent with little to no wear. new brakes front and rear. new tires front and rear. new exhaust. I plan on checking the plugs this weekend along with the coolant. I consider that stuff normal maintenance though.

Also have to schedule the valve inspection for the fall as it has 14,000 miles on it right now.

PS, I'm a large chap. lol I go 270.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM

A lot depends on what you're end goal is. If you are not going to track days the suspension might not be a priority. For me, general rideability was first. So, I started with a mild gearing change and a PowerCommander to smooth it out and make it more suitable for general riding. If I wanted to race / track day I would upgrade the suspension for sure. I'm over 200 too so we are definitely not the rider they designed it around. It works ok on the street at legal-ish pace but much more and you would want to optimize it.

'04 Nicky Hayden

Flapper/PAIR Mod-Ladybird Full Ti Moto-GP -w- Long Cans-Proton Flushmount LEDs
HotBodies Undertail-Tyga CF Hugger-HEL Lines
Custom plate mount w integrated LED brake light
15/41 gearing-PCIII USB-Speedohealer-Carbone Lorraine Pads
Spencer Seat mod-Ceramic dual coat headers

It is a wise man who knows where courage ends ...
and stupidity begins.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegaz22 View Post
Personally if it was me i'd be spending cash on service part first before mods, Oil + filter, Air filter(s), Replace ALL the fluids, Plugs etc just to make sure Nothings been missed out in its service life, Check the condition of chain and sprockets etc

Mods are a Personal thing, for example swiftone above says that one of his biggest improvements were fork valving and shock, now swiftone might be a slightly larger Chap than that of your typical japanese rider so he requires that Valving mod to handle his weight better, well...needs it more than me who is the size and weight of a typical japanese rider

Best thing you can Do just now is just ride it, you will then figure out what areas you feel its needing improvement on.
It's true that it's a personal thing. But I am 153lbs without gear so I am right in the realm of the typical Japanese test rider. Though I don't know the solid history on my forks but it looks like they were service before(don't know how long ago) but forks are probably the most neglected part of maintenance on ANY bike. It's just something that a log of people don't think about. So maybe just a forks overhaul will make a big difference.

O ya, and the other big difference I felt was after I got my valves adjusted. Everything was just smoother. Only 2 valves were out of spec and not by much. I had had 25k miles at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode