Track bike near critical temp...sugestions??? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face Track bike near critical temp...sugestions???

So I just returned from the hottest track day in which I have ever participated. It wasn't too bad but +95F gets hot when surrounded by asphalt. Don't wanna beat a dead horse over this, but what do yall think or suggest I should do to achieve a lower operating temp? I know the RC51 is prone to high temp, and I have already gotten used to the 230 range. But, this last TD it was running at a consistent 240-245F during the peak heat of the day. In the later afternoon, when the temp dropped to 88-90, the operating temp did drop to 235-238. It takes a few hard laps to get it up to temp, but I'm looking to remedy this situation.

I know there a plethora of options to approach this issue, but given this is a track only bike, I'm not sure where to start.
First, even though it has fresh coolant (only 1,000 miles), I'm thinking about a coolant flush, and maybe trying some Engine Ice. Does anyone have any experience with the RC and Engine Ice...any significant temp drop??

I'd imagine radiator fins would help, but I'm inclined to remove both fans to see if that increases flow. As it being a track only rig, they're only getting in the way of the flow, and I would not need the fans to cool as if I were in slow moving traffic.

Then, there is the thought of the SPAL pusher fan upgrade. I still cannot fathom why the oem fans try to suck air into the bike vs assist natural flow. Maybe only one SPAL pusher would be the "ideal" ticket...more flow with some improved overheat assistance?

And lastly there is the pricey radiator duct cowl/scoops. They seem like they would be effective, but with the high cost, I might as well lean for the front mount radiator.

Not trying to spend too much...still pinching pennies in hopes for a set of OZ forged rims this winter.
Excuse my lengthy post, but this is a serious issue/area of concern for me. And for what its worth, while searching the forum, I read that upon one of the top mag's initial review of the RC51, they found it operating at the same 245F.
So is that it?? They just run EXTRA hot when you run the shit out of them?? Hey the overheat light comes on at 251 and it never seemed to approach 247-251, but damn, 5 degrees till critical isn't the most comforting.

Let me know what ya think, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by XR2RC; 07-16-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: more typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I think you'll get the most effect from the SPAL fan(s)
b.miller123 has tried most of the cooling mods, and also had an SP2.
Try advanced search.
Keywords: cooling spal.
Enter b.miller123 in the User Name box.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I have twin SPALs and Engine Ice in my street SP2 and at hwy speed I haven't seen anything over 180F with and ambient temp 80-90F. Today I rode the bike, 83F, after 10 miles on the HWY the engine temp was only 170ish. I have noticed that warming up takes a considerable amount of time longer then the green stuff that was in the bike.
I also have the "gills" but I've read they don't do anything for cooling (from LDH), but personally I can't see how they cant help with a venturi effect, it may not be much, but they have to help.

Check with the track regulations and try Engine Ice, about $20 1/2 gal.

But for anyone looking for cooler temps, I highly recommend Engine Ice.

James

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM

I used engine ice, and honestly, I don't think it makes more than 2 or 3 degrees difference. I've also tried straight water, Honda Coolant, and Dexcool. I currently have Dexcool in it now. I'm getting average temps of about 200 - 220 in stop and go traffic when it's warmer than 90F degrees outside. If it's any cooler and/or hiway and canyons riding, it's more like 172 - 190. Stock everything as far as the cooling system goes.

Try doing 2 consecutive flushes with distilled water, then remove as many hoses as possible and inspect/clean. Remove the overflow bottle for a thorough cleaning, and make SURE the overflow hose and nipple at the rad neck and overflow bottle is clear. If the rad cap is old, replace it as well.
Are you sure you have no air bubbles in your cooling system? When was the last time it was burped?

Sorry if I lectured you on stuff you already know.
Is there any chance your fuel map is too lean?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM

Were you by any chance at Summit Main on Monday? I was the other black RC51 out there. I kept having to pull off because I was overheating...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 PM

Penguin - Now that would be cool.
Pardon the stupid pun.
If you were both there, that is.
What temps were you running?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Penguin - Now that would be cool.
Pardon the stupid pun.
If you were both there, that is.
What temps were you running?
On average 245ish. One session I pushed really hard trying to keep up with my buddy and got up to 255 and had to pull off. The bike is stock.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Penguin - Very close, but I was still a good 200 miles away...VIR North. I am looking forward to hitting Summit Point though; especially for the $99 Monday deal. I haven't been there yet, but My time will soon come. I guess Summit is just a short trip away for you if you're already in Nova. We'll have to link up in the long run.

Yeah the 245F readout was a little nerve-racking, but I figured consistent results and no over heat light was my green light to keep on keeping on.

J dog - Yes I did ponder on fiddling with the fuel map a bit to enrich the top end. I have a set of carbon Hindles installed right now, and I have not had the bike on a dyno yet. There is no Hindle map from Dynojet for the PC3. And, after many test runs, I found the Yoshimura slip-on to be most cooperative; I figured if anything, it should be a bit on the wet side of fueling...hoping. A dyno tune sure would be comforting...don't wanna melt the top-end like and old two smoker.

I am debating throwing on the set of Banzai Sato's that I have been holding, but they more or less for my next crash rebuild.

Unsure what I will do...probably throw a single 5.5 spal pusher, do a couple of distilled flushes, then engine ice, and lastly get the pig on a dyno and tune to 12.5-12.8 AFR.

Thanks for the input fellas.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2RC View Post
Penguin - Very close, but I was still a good 200 miles away...VIR North. I am looking forward to hitting Summit Point though; especially for the $99 Monday deal. I haven't been there yet, but My time will soon come. I guess Summit is just a short trip away for you if you're already in Nova. We'll have to link up in the long run.

Yeah the 245F readout was a little nerve-racking, but I figured consistent results and no over heat light was my green light to keep on keeping on.

J dog - Yes I did ponder on fiddling with the fuel map a bit to enrich the top end. I have a set of carbon Hindles installed right now, and I have not had the bike on a dyno yet. There is no Hindle map from Dynojet for the PC3. And, after many test runs, I found the Yoshimura slip-on to be most cooperative; I figured if anything, it should be a bit on the wet side of fueling...hoping. A dyno tune sure would be comforting...don't wanna melt the top-end like and old two smoker.

I am debating throwing on the set of Banzai Sato's that I have been holding, but they more or less for my next crash rebuild.

Unsure what I will do...probably throw a single 5.5 spal pusher, do a couple of distilled flushes, then engine ice, and lastly get the pig on a dyno and tune to 12.5-12.8 AFR.

Thanks for the input fellas.
My buds and I are thinkin about doing ViR North next month, or NJMP. I'll be sure to let you know what we decide on doing!

I've heard sometimes different PCIII maps can make a difference in running temps.

Some guys are removing a fan, or reversing the polarity to get air moving through the bike (rather than trapping hot air in). I've heard of some success with a manual fan switch too
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
You guys make things way harder than they have to be.

For a trackday, especially if this is a track only bike, just remove both fans and make sure the cooling systems has been burped properly so that it is full and the bike WILL NOT overheat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode