Where do I begin to troubleshoot???? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do I begin to troubleshoot????

Ok, so here's my situation. ON tuesday, I'm on my way to work. I stop the get gas, turn the bike off. Fill up, now bike won't start. Try to push start, no luck. Get it towed to shop, they put it on the battery charger. And they say "they think it's the battery". They charge it over night, but I don't have a chance to pick it up until thrusday. I get the bike home, all seems good. I shut it off, start it up a few times and no issue.

Ride it to work on friday, starts up with no issues. Come out from work 8hrs later to go home, won't start. Have to push start it. Get maybe 10 minutes from home, and the gas warning light starts to flicker. Get maybe 1/2 a mile down the road, get ready to pull off from the light and it shuts off on me. Try to start it up, and no luck. All the lights on the dash come on, but Doesn't click, fuel pump doesn't prime, and won't turn over. Let it sit for awhile, try to start it up. Fuel pump primes, try to start it up and all I hear is "click click click" but wont turn over. I have a friend come and help me look over everything. Check the battery connections, all is good. We get it push started again, let it run for awhile. Then it just shuts off on it's own.

Next I get it jump started, get the bike home. Pull in the driveway, leave it running. And the low fuel light start flickering again. Turn the bike off, try to start it back up. And nothing!!! Roll the bike into the garage, get it on the charger. Red light on charger comes on meaning it's charging. 20 minutes go by, I look out in the garage, and the battery is already charged. The green light is on meaning the charger is in "storage mode".

So I'm starting to think that it's not the battery. But something is pulling/draining the battery. Any idea what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
its defo an electrical problem. i had something similar with mine a few months ago. i took it to my garage and me and my bro spent a few hours taking every connector we could find apart. disconnected, cleaned then dielectric greased every one of them.

helps all the connections work more efficiently and protects/insulates them against future weather/wet/wear.

if you wanna just do the connectors causing the prob and leave the rest, id work through all the wiring under the tail.

p.s also check the 30amp fuse on top of the battery is ok too.

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd start with checking the main fuse & charging system for correct voltage readings. How to do this should be in the workshop manual, which is downloadable somewhere. Sorry I haven't downloaded it so I can't tell you where - but a search on here should reveal.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Checked all the connections, but didn't test to voltage. Only issue I found was my right front turn signal is not working. Took it to the gas station, cut it off. Filled it up, fired right back up. Came home, shut off. Turn it back on. Did that a few times, and everything seemed fine. So decided to go for a little longer ride. Maybe 10 minutes. Come back home, shut it off. Try to turn it back on, and no luck.

I did happen to find this when I took the tail section off. Anybody know what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3808.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	24794  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'm not near my bike, so it's just a guess but this could be the tip-over sensor's connector perhaps...

You need to check if it's charging correctly or not first.

I don't have a manual, so I don't have the proper procedure here - but the easiest way would be to connect a multimeter across the battery (Red to +ve & black to -ve) and see the battery voltage first (Around 13V on a fully charged battery would be around the right figure). Then as it starts - see if it's getting around 14v when the engine is started. gradually increase revs to around 4,000 and see if the voltage increases slightly. It should - but nothing above around 14.5v. If there's no change in voltage as the bike is started - then there's either a bad connection or your charging circuit is faulty I'd say...

Also before doing the above - check the connections for the battery (Take them off, sand & refit, not just a visual check) and other connectors too. There's another connector for the main fuse - which if dislocated will cause the fuel pump not to prime when the ignition key is switched on. All connections should be clean & firmly connected. You might want to get some di-electric grease to use on connections for protection.

The Voltage test is for when you've checked the obvious connections for good contact.

HTH

Stig

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-17-2013 at 07:21 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

So after it died this time. I put it back on the charger. And the battery is still charging. So now I'm starting to wonder if it is just a bad battery. Last night it switched from "charged" to "storage" after like 20 minutes
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

It could be a bad battery, but usually they perform better immediately after being charged by the bike, not worse.... So they should show weakness especially after a while left alone, not when the starter is engaged very shortly after the bike's been switched off. Also doesn't explain why the bike's fuel light flickers, etc.

Try what I've suggested. You'll be closer to the reason for your problems there I suspect...

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot again tomorrow. Pissing me off, more down time from riding!!!!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
its process of elimination with these things. its strange how something always seems to happen when your fueling it up. does the bike have an alarm? like a datatool?

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all, ghe green connector is the service connector. It is supposed to be like that , so no worries there.

Second; I am 99% sure you need to replace the regulator/ rectifier unit. It is a common problem. I would suggest going for a more modern MOS-FET based unit.

Third; Your battery is probably toast due to the faulty regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode