Can I make this adjustable relay work? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I make this adjustable relay work?

My turn signals are flashing too fast to pass inspection. Before anyone suggests "take it to another inspection place", first know that I am in Delaware where the inspection is done at the DMV and is directly tied to registration; there is no getting around it.

My signals are not stock (long story, I could kill the P.O.) and the fronts are LEDs causing a fast flash rate. I have tried using ohm resistors in the past and they simply did not work. My dad gave me an adjustable turn signal relay that he had from one of his previous vehicles however this relay has a TON of pins where as the RC relay apparently only has two? The turn singal relay plugs into a three-pronged plug but only has two pins, the green/ground doesn't seem to connect to the relay. The white with green stripe one seems to be a 12v constant and when I hook that up via a small jumper wire I hear an audible click whenever I turn on the signals (and I can adjust the speed of the click via a knob on top of the relay, really cool!). I believe that would connect to the "B" slot on the relay plug.

So, my question is, which pin from this gigantic adjustable relay do I jump to the "L" slot on the relay plug, with the solid grey wire?

Here is the wiring diagram of the relay. Right now I have the top left 12v jumped to the white with green stripe wire.

I'm not good with this kind of stuff and am unfamiliar with what these symbols even mean. If this simply will not work, please just let me know and perhaps offer another suggestion. Thanks everybody!

2003 SP2
Used to have Kwaks, but they're gone

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 08-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, never mind. I got it to work. For anyone curious, I left the 12v connected to the white with green stripe wire. I then grounded the top right pin labeled with the H.S in the diagram elsewhere (not just on the green wire in the plug, for some reason this did not work). Lastly, I jumped either of the bottom pins labeled R and L to the grey wire (both caused the turn signals to work either way). And voila! I now have adjustable flash timing! Too bad I'll be taking it off the second I pass inspection. I prefer a faster flash.

2003 SP2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo View Post
Well, never mind. I got it to work. For anyone curious, I left the 12v connected to the white with green stripe wire. I then grounded the top right pin labeled with the H.S in the diagram elsewhere (not just on the green wire in the plug, for some reason this did not work). Lastly, I jumped either of the bottom pins labeled R and L to the grey wire (both caused the turn signals to work either way). And voila! I now have adjustable flash timing! Too bad I'll be taking it off the second I pass inspection. I prefer a faster flash.
Great that you got it worked out! Why do you prefer a faster flash?

Mine also blink fast, which bothers me, but so far I haven't looked into it. I don't know our FL laws on turn signal blink rate, assuming there is one, which of course there just has to be.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Well it seems to be more attention grabbing in my opinion and I like to be seen for obvious safety reasons. I definitely want other drivers aware of my directional or lane changes. It is by no means a strobe, I can see that being a problem if it is in fact TOO attention grabbing.

In Delaware the law is something like no more than 100 blinks per minute or something. In reality, my rate isn't far from that if it's even over that but it all depends on who is inspecting that day and how bad of a mood he's in. Luckily this is the last vehicle I'll ever have to inspect here. In fact, the day after I pass I'm taking the bike to Virginia never to return!

BTW, that's quite a list of bikes you've got there!

2003 SP2

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 08-28-2013 at 02:18 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Well it seems to be more attention grabbing in my opinion and I like to be seen for obvious safety reasons. I definitely want other drivers aware of my directional or lane changes. It is by no means a strobe, I can see that being a problem if it is in fact TOO attention grabbing.

In Delaware the law is something like no more than 100 blinks per minute or something. In reality, my rate isn't far from that if it's even over that but it all depends on who is inspecting that day and how bad of a mood he's in. Luckily this is the last vehicle I'll ever have to inspect here. In fact, the day after I pass I'm taking the bike to Virginia never to return!
Gotcha ... and yeah, anything to help not getting run over or into is a good thing.

Quote:
BTW, that's quite a list of bikes you've got there!
Whoops! HAHA! Every bike but the RC51 is "former" ... I need to modify my sig!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I like the change haha. My RC is just my third bike. Not been a good experience so far :-/

2003 SP2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode